Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
scottmc
scottmc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
New Canadian Kindle

Just received a PW2 from Amazon.ca (first e-reader for me). As per recent discussions here I can confirm that they are now shipping with four gigs of memory.

Firmware was a bit out of date, so I fixed that, and synced up a bunch of books with calibre.

Off to do some reading...
scottmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmc View Post
Just received a PW2 from Amazon.ca (first e-reader for me). As per recent discussions here I can confirm that they are now shipping with four gigs of memory.

Firmware was a bit out of date, so I fixed that, and synced up a bunch of books with calibre.

Off to do some reading...
They didn't have 4gigs before? What did they originally ship with?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
They didn't have 4gigs before? What did they originally ship with?
2GB...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
2GB...
Except that, as discussed, those sold in Japan were 4G from the start.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Johnito
Johnito began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (4th gen.)
I bought mine a few days ago and i also have 4GB. i live in france.
Johnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I hope Amazon realizes that most people would rather have 4 GB instead of 2 GB and the next iteration of the PW will ship with at least 4 GB.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
scottmc
scottmc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think you can probably assume this will be the new standard. Memory is pretty cheap these days.
scottmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I hope Amazon realizes that most people would rather have 4 GB instead of 2 GB and the next iteration of the PW will ship with at least 4 GB.
All new US sets come with 4gb. I just opened one new kindle.
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't know if the new standard is because it is cheaper. But the fact that Amazon brought back the 4GB after scrapping it, implies that they have some definite reasons for building 4GB, and those reasons are probably not going to go away.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #10
sjfwhite
Enthusiast
sjfwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Apple iPad Mini 2
I presume no other differences other than the extra 2GB, huh? I am currently using a Kobo Aura HD and like the slightly larger screen but don't like the bezel and back (not comfortable to hold in one hand). Have any of you folks compared the slightly larger size of the Aura HD to the PW2? If so, how was the reading experience of the PW2 compared to the Aura HD? I strip DRM from any ebook I purchase so don't care about which ecosystem I use. Thanks!
sjfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfwhite View Post
I presume no other differences other than the extra 2GB, huh? I am currently using a Kobo Aura HD and like the slightly larger screen but don't like the bezel and back (not comfortable to hold in one hand). Have any of you folks compared the slightly larger size of the Aura HD to the PW2? If so, how was the reading experience of the PW2 compared to the Aura HD? I strip DRM from any ebook I purchase so don't care about which ecosystem I use. Thanks!
You'll get all kinds of opinions. Since I have both, I prefer to read on the Aura HD because I think the HD has the better screen and I prefer to read on it. However, the PW2 is lighter (that might be a factor since you like to hold it in one hand).
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #12
sjfwhite
Enthusiast
sjfwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Apple iPad Mini 2
Thanks for the reply. I feared as much. :-P

Did you patch the firmware on your Aura HD to use more of the screen space that the default header and footer takes up? I would guess that the default screen style wastes the space gained by the extra 0.8 inch of screen.
sjfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I don't know if the new standard is because it is cheaper. But the fact that Amazon brought back the 4GB after scrapping it, implies that they have some definite reasons for building 4GB, and those reasons are probably not going to go away.
I wouldn't be surprised if the chips to provide 2GB are either being fased out, or are now more expensive than the 4GB ones.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the chips to provide 2GB are either being fased out, or are now more expensive than the 4GB ones.
I wouldn't be surprised either, but I'd rather not commit to the opinion.

I heard it mentioned somewhere, that they might be pushing to make it more useful for comic books which require more memory. I forget where, or why.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I heard it mentioned somewhere, that they might be pushing to make it more useful for comic books which require more memory. I forget where, or why.
That was certainly some of the speculation when the PW was launched in Japan with 4GB (that it was potentially due to the larger size of Manga files).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote