Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #16
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Another Agatha Christie with a twist: Murder on the Orient Express.

A combination noir/horror: Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg. The movie, Angel Heart with Mickey Rourke and Robert DeNiro, was based on this book. There is a huge, jaw-dropping twist near the end.

Along Came a Spider by James Patterson: Twists about the villain.

What the Dead Know by Laura Lippmann: Another jaw-dropping resolution.

Babes in the Woods by Ruth Rendell has lots of twists throughout. This is one of her Inspector Wexford series.

The Dead Lie Down by Sophie Hannah almost has TOO MANY twists to it. LOL

Lots of twists in The Violet Hour and Kiss of Evil by Richard Montanari. ( I don't think these are available as ebooks yet.)

The Night Spider by John Lutz has lots of twists and turns throughout, right up to the end. (#3 in the Night series but these don't have to be read in order.)
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Oh. Just announced today, Pines will be a FOX mini series directed by M. Night Shamylan (Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, The Villiage)
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #18
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
The Blake Couch recommendation reminds me of the a Blake Couch/Jack Kilborn three chapter short novella which was one of the first books I read on my Kindle, Serial. Each author separately wrote the first two chapters and joined forces for the third. The ending was totally unexpected. It was free when I picked it up and it appears to be just $0.99 now.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #19
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
The Blake Couch recommendation reminds me of the a Blake Couch/Jack Kilborn three chapter short novella which was one of the first books I read on my Kindle, Serial. Each author separately wrote the first two chapters and joined forces for the third. The ending was totally unexpected. It was free when I picked it up and it appears to be just $0.99 now.
Serial Killers Uncut is well worth the price, it's alot of short stories that tie in their other works, and in fact tell you which book to read before and/or after to keep the time line. It's quite nice as they are both fantastic authors.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #20
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Another Agatha Christie with a twist: Murder on the Orient Express.

A combination noir/horror: Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg. The movie, Angel Heart with Mickey Rourke and Robert DeNiro, was based on this book. There is a huge, jaw-dropping twist near the end.

Along Came a Spider by James Patterson: Twists about the villain.

What the Dead Know by Laura Lippmann: Another jaw-dropping resolution.

Babes in the Woods by Ruth Rendell has lots of twists throughout. This is one of her Inspector Wexford series.

The Dead Lie Down by Sophie Hannah almost has TOO MANY twists to it. LOL

Lots of twists in The Violet Hour and Kiss of Evil by Richard Montanari. ( I don't think these are available as ebooks yet.)

The Night Spider by John Lutz has lots of twists and turns throughout, right up to the end. (#3 in the Night series but these don't have to be read in order.)
Excellent! Always wanted to watch Angel Heart but didn't have the heart(heh) to thanks to the apparent violent scenes. I shall read the book.
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #21
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
Excellent! Always wanted to watch Angel Heart but didn't have the heart(heh) to thanks to the apparent violent scenes. I shall read the book.
Oooh good, I'm glad you didn't see the movie cause the ending is the same. There is quite a lot of violence in the book, too.

Right now I'm reading Seconds by David Ely. They made a movie based on that with Rock Hudson. So far the book is very much like the movie. Also a twisty book. lol
Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 AM   #22
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oooh good, I'm glad you didn't see the movie cause the ending is the same. There is quite a lot of violence in the book, too.

Right now I'm reading Seconds by David Ely. They made a movie based on that with Rock Hudson. So far the book is very much like the movie. Also a twisty book. lol
Strangely, I could always stomach violence in books rather than movies. Perhaps I am not a very imaginative person.

Ah, haven't watched/read Seconds either. Shall put it on my TBR list.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 AM   #23
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Strangely, I could always stomach violence in books rather than movies. Perhaps I am not a very imaginative person.

Ah, haven't watched/read Seconds either. Shall put it on my TBR list.
LOL. At least it's easier to skip over in a book if you need to.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 AM   #24
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I guess I'm going to have to bump Pines closer to the top of my TBR list... if I want to read it before the M. Night Shyamalan miniseries comes out!

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/d...186039896.html

eP
Didn't realise there was going to be a mini-series. It could be an excellent show if it's done right. Shades of Twin Peaks, perhaps?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #25
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Didn't realise there was going to be a mini-series. It could be an excellent show if it's done right. Shades of Twin Peaks, perhaps?
Oh man, I miss Twin Peaks! With Shymalan heading this, it has potential to be either extremely good or extremely bad. We shall see.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #26
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the above recommendation, Nightbird. this looks like a good one. Add it to my miles long to-read list

Also I forgot a couple:

The Ex-Pats by Chris Pavone. This was an entertaining thriller that has twist after twist after twist. It would be silly, yet it's intelligently done with the author seeming to pile on the twists intentionally as a sort of smirking, slyly ironic homage to the thriller genre.

In the Woods by Tana French. Really really great literary mystery that takes place in Ireland. I love French's writing. Great twist near the end that I never saw coming.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #27
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
The US link for the kindle edition of The Pines is here.
http://www.amazon.com/Pines-ebook/dp/B007FG9LIE
If you have Amazon Prime you can borrow The Pines.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #28
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Good book and movie. I saw it when it first came out on video and guessed the "twist" about halfway through the movie but nobody believed me.

I haven't read any Frederick Forsyth since the 80s but his books usually have a twist at the end.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #29
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
Oh man, I miss Twin Peaks! With Shymalan heading this, it has potential to be either extremely good or extremely bad. We shall see.
Pines was heavily influenced by Twin Peaks according to Crouch. And I believe they may be bringing Twin Peaks back.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #30
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Good book and movie. I saw it when it first came out on video and guessed the "twist" about halfway through the movie but nobody believed me.
Pretty good guessing there, Ben. There are hints about something going on throughout, but I just never would have put them together to come out with that. I just recently read it for the second time and still felt the same way. I don't want to say too much more and spoil it for anyone else. Sometimes I think it's more enjoyable to just be carried along and be immersed in the story instead of trying to guess the outcome.

@usuallee - Hope you enjoy it. (Cute user name, btw. lol)