Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Kobo vs Kindle, sideloading and syncing

I currently have a Sony PRS 650 and while I quite like it I feel like I definitely bought it at the wrong time (back when $240 wasn't an outrageous price for an e-reader) and I'm missing out on wifi connection and being able to sync my books. I have an iPhone and an Asus Transformer both with Kindle and Kobo installed on it. I thought it would be neat to get a Kindle or a Kobo Reader so that I could have all my books and bookmarks synced across all platforms so that I could continue reading my books anywhere. I buy most of my books from the Kobo book store but I also get a few from the Sony store and now Amazon.com (thank you VPN!). What I'm wondering is, do both of these devices (Kindle/Kobo) allow sideloading and syncing of books not bought specifically from their stores?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Kindle does not support syncing of sideloaded books, unless you use a plug-in that you can get with Calibre.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
The Kindle Personal Documents Service will allow you to sync non-Amazon books between a Kindle and the iPad/iPhone/iPod Kindle apps. I expect that Amazon will expand this to include other Kindle apps.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you want to read books purchased fromm Kobo on a Kindle you are going to need something like Calibre anyway to remove the DRM and convert the format. So adding the necessary meta data to be able to synch will happen with that process.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Mrs. Marple
gossipy old village lady.
Mrs. Marple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs. Marple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs. Marple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs. Marple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs. Marple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs. Marple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs. Marple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs. Marple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs. Marple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs. Marple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs. Marple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Polaroid PMID 701C, Samsung Galaxy Tab2
I have a Kobo Vox. I buy my favorite authors with coupons from Kobo, and I downloaded the Kindle app, and just grab the freebies in the genres I like from Amazon. Love my fantastic little Vox!

Last edited by Mrs. Marple; 03-22-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Mrs. Marple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If you want to read books purchased fromm Kobo on a Kindle you are going to need something like Calibre anyway to remove the DRM and convert the format. So adding the necessary meta data to be able to synch will happen with that process.
Yes I use Calibre already with de-DRMing. Is this magical meta-data adding automatically done with Calibre whenever you convert to mobi or do I need to find a plugin somewhere?

If I did this and converted all my books to mobi and then say connected a new Kindle touch to calibre and uploaded all my books would those books then magically appear on all my other devices as well?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't think you can sync between different types of devices.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
IMHO, from a sideloading perspective, the Kindle is the better choice. All you have to do to sideload a book is copy it the documents folder on the Kindle and you're done.
AFAIK, both the Kobo app and the actual Kobo store all books in a sqlite database, which means that you cannot simply copy or delete a book without using Calibre or a sqlite manager.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
AFAIK, both the Kobo app and the actual Kobo store all books in a sqlite database, which means that you cannot simply copy or delete a book without using Calibre or a sqlite manager.
That's not correct. Kobo uses the sqlite database for Kobo e-pubs (kepubs) but you can side load and manage any other non-DRM'ed e-pubs with drag and drop via windows explorer. Most (not quite all) books at the Kobo store are available in their proprietary kepub format or a normal Adobe DRM e-pub.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That's not correct. Kobo uses the sqlite database for Kobo e-pubs (kepubs) but you can side load and manage any other non-DRM'ed e-pubs with drag and drop via windows explorer. Most (not quite all) books at the Kobo store are available in their proprietary kepub format or a normal Adobe DRM e-pub.
I stand corrected. However, IIRC, many Kobo users had to use an sqlite manager to get rid of the free books that come with the Kobo and according to the official Kobo FAQ sideloading of books is not possible with the Kobo Desktop app.
Quote:
The Kobo Desktop will not show any books or documents that you have bought from non-Kobo sources or have added to your eReader by sideloading (dragging and dropping) or from SD cards.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I stand corrected. However, IIRC, many Kobo users had to use an sqlite manager to get rid of the free books that come with the Kobo and according to the official Kobo FAQ sideloading of books is not possible with the Kobo Desktop app.
You are correct that you can't use the desktop to add sideloads, but there is no need to. Personally I drag and drop, others use Calibre. The free books aren't on the Touch, so no need to get rid of them. A firmware update added an option on the original Kobo's to hide them, but if you actually wanted them off the reader you would have had to do some hacking. No need for any of this with the Kobo Touch (current reader).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The Kindle Personal Documents Service will allow you to sync non-Amazon books between a Kindle and the iPad/iPhone/iPod Kindle apps. I expect that Amazon will expand this to include other Kindle apps.
Is this available outside the U.S.? The OP is in Japan. I see you're in Canada, but generally we don't have access to the Kindle Personal Documents Service unless we jump through some hoops to hide the fact we're not in the U.S. (Which I tried to do following instructions others have offered here and couldn't get it to work. And frankly, it's too much of a bother to worry about.)

Last edited by Suzanna; 03-25-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

I have a VPN which I use to fool Amazon into thinking that I'm from the US all the time
I have no concerns about sideloading as I'm sure that I can do that no problem on either device-I just want to make sure that those sideloaded books will then also show up on all my other devices which use either the Kindle or Kobo apps.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I currently have a Sony PRS 650 and while I quite like it I feel like I definitely bought it at the wrong time (back when $240 wasn't an outrageous price for an e-reader) and I'm missing out on wifi connection and being able to sync my books.
I have the same reader (though I read far more on my iphone and ipad than the Sony)... but it is able to be synced with Calibre SO easily. Have you tried? From that PoV its better for me than the iphone/ipad which calibre refuses to acknowledge.

Not having a wifi can be a bit of a disadvantage, but not much, when you consider the capacity of this thing.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote