Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Are smartphones the future?

The UK telecoms regulator Ofcom says that one in three adults in Britain now uses a smartphone, according to a BBC news story today.

Amazon are tight-lipped about the actual number of Kindles in use, but doesn't this make smartphones the effective platform of choice for e-reading?
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Not for me. Reading on those screens for long periods gives me a headache.
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
It is not an either/or option.

Do people who live in cities drive cars and ride motorcycles, or do they ride public transportation? Which is it?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Casual readers? Sure; phones might work great for them. But there's always going to be a need for book-sized (approximately) screens... especially for those who read for several hours a day on average. And lots of overlap between those two demographics as well. I just don't see "one type of device to rule them all" ever happening... or even needing to ever happen.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a case of using the right device for the right job. For web browsing, a Smartphone is the right choice - I'm writing this on my iPhone. For reading novels, my Kindle is much better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Besides... I hate having to answer my book when it rings.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
The UK telecoms regulator Ofcom says that one in three adults in Britain now uses a smartphone, according to a BBC news story today.

Amazon are tight-lipped about the actual number of Kindles in use, but doesn't this make smartphones the effective platform of choice for e-reading?
It certainly makes them the effective platform for smartphoning.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Speaking as an avide book worm that uses both a smart phone and Kindle for reading books I must say from experience that the small screen does not bother me that much, simply necessistates more screen changes then otherwise necessary. However the real difference between the smart phone electronic books and the ones of the readers, that I can see, is instances where space is going to be an issue. If I am going to and from working with big packs in hand and a lot of things in my gym bag then I am going to go from the berry otherwise I would preferr to go with the Kindle since it has a larger screen then the berry does.

I can see where smart phones would be the defacto starting platform for electronic book reading since most of the phones out there these days are smart phones and since they are already paying for the phone might as well make it do everything that it can for you.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I have no problem reading for long periods of time on my smart phone (Xperia X10). I love the fact that it is backlit (great for reading in bed), that I can have multiple e-readers on it (fbreader, Nook, Kindle, Kobo, etc.), and that I can pull it out of my pocket anytime, even just for a couple of minutes standing in line. Even though I also have the small Sony PRS-300, which I really like too, it doesn't really fit in a pocket, although it fits great in my backpack. Yeah, yeah, I know it's lame to whine about the effort to open my backpack, but that's just the way it is.

For me, the PRS-300 is now pretty much reserved for reading in the sun (one of my favorite restaurants has a great outdoor patio) and for trips or other occasions when I need to conserve the battery life on my phone.

For me, the smartphone IS my primary e-reader now.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I can see where smart phones would be the defacto starting platform for electronic book reading since most of the phones out there these days are smart phones....
This is not so. According to this recent report:

http://venturebeat.com/2011/06/30/ni...ice-purchases/

most (62%) phones in the US market are currently "dumb" phones, although smartphones do now account for the majority (55%) of new sales.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

My cell phone was so dumb that I eliminated it entirely. Quite liberating actually. Not to mention all that extra money for books each month.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
i would not want to own a cell phone. that's why i went with the dx.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Un-surprisingly none of the people listed reading on Smartphone as one of the uses! Or maybe it wasn't even in the question.

din
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #14
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
It will be interesting to see these percentages against all the devices. That may give a better indication. On its own, Smartphone is supposed live up to its name. So this survey shows nothing new in terms of usage.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #15
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
When it comes to technology, "the future" (as in the title of the thread) tends to be of short duration.

I remember back in 1980 being quite excited by my IBM PC with its single floppy drive and I didn't have a mobile phone at all or the internet.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote