Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
urbanr0cker
urbanr0cker began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/iBooks
Exclamation Question from a complete newb

Alright, I downloaded Calibre a few days ago because I'd read that it was a simple too to help me remove some things from some ebooks I have.

This is my first time even needing to manipulate a pdf/epub file so I'm completely naive when it comes how to do anything however I need some serious help when it comes to removing headers and footers.

I keep hearing about regex this and magic wand that but I don't see anything of the kind. Where do I find this magic wand tool and search and replace feature that is supposed to allow me to remove these obnoxious "generated by ABC Amber Lit" headers and page number footers?
urbanr0cker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
When you convert an ebook. You need to click convert in the toolbar. That will open the conversion settings for that book. Select search and replace from the left and you will see the entries and next to it the wand. However, do realize that the wand is for testing not building regexes.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanr0cker View Post
I keep hearing about regex this and magic wand that but I don't see anything of the kind. Where do I find this magic wand tool and search and replace feature that is supposed to allow me to remove these obnoxious "generated by ABC Amber Lit" headers and page number footers?
You might want to read the sticky posts at the top of this forum for more info. It is true that you can use regex to remove these annoyances during conversion, personally I take any of the following steps to remove these items.

1. I find a different source that doesn't have this junk in it to begin with. Unless the file is perfect I avoid PDF files as a source file.
2. If I must use a PDF file with these headers I use Adobe Acrobat software to crop out the header the export the file as html.
3. After converting to ePub use Sigil's (ePub editor) find and replace feature in code view to remove the offending junk.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, footer, header, regex