Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Dead pixel problem solution?

Hi. I'm just curious if this problem is typical or if there is a solution. I am on my third gen 3 Kindle. First one was DOA (dead on arrival). Second one had a huge number of dead pixels, and now the third one is getting the dead pixel problem as well. There are black pixels scattered across the screen that never change color, even when the device is off. It's a small problem, and likely unnoticeable to someone who doesn't use the device, but I read ~3 hours a day, and it irritates the hell out of me. Does anybody else have this problem? I'm considering RMA'ing the device, but it's such a hassle and I worry that the next one will get this problem as well. Do you know of a solution?
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
It sounds as though you have been very unlucky. I would not tolerate the dead pixel problem and I doubt if Amazon would want you to either. In my opinion, you should keep returning the Kindles to Amazon until you get a good one. There are plenty of good ones out there and it must be your turn to get one soon.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:25 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you referring to the very fine ""dusting" of small black dots on the screen? That's common to all eInk screens, but most people don't notice them. You need to look very closely at the screen to see them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you referring to the very fine ""dusting" of small black dots on the screen? That's common to all eInk screens, but most people don't notice them. You need to look very closely at the screen to see them.
I could be. I'm not entirely sure. There are little dots all over the place, even when the device is off. I only just noticed them, and I looked pretty closely when I first received the device, after I returned my last one. There is a large collection of them (~5 or 6) in the middle of the left side that are very fine. And then there is one pretty dark one in the dead center of the screen. Otherwise there are a bunch more very fine dots all over the place. Is this normal?

I don't abuse the device, have only dropped it once onto a carpet, never use cleaning solution on it. I do clean it pretty often with a microfiber cloth though, and might press hard then.

I'm going to be really embarrassed if it turns out that I returned my last kindle for a normal aspect of the eink screen.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
There is a large collection of them (~5 or 6) in the middle of the left side that are very fine. And then there is one pretty dark one in the dead center of the screen. Otherwise there are a bunch more very fine dots all over the place. Is this normal?
Post a picture, or a link to a picture, of your Kindle's screen.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
Michael McLovin
Enthusiast
Michael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with others

Device: Desktop PC when i'm in the office pretending to work, kindle3
mind posting a picture of it.

it does sound like dusting, just can't be too sure without seeing it.
Michael McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Clean almost NEVER !

Quote:
I don't abuse the device, have only dropped it once onto a carpet, never use cleaning solution on it. I do clean it pretty often with a microfiber cloth though, and might press hard then.

I'm going to be really embarrassed if it turns out that I returned my last kindle for a normal aspect of the eink screen.
NEVER clean the Kindle WiFi eInk screen unless it is really dirty. I've never cleaned mine at all for the last 6 months since purchase. If you keep it covered with the Marware cover, it should last clean without any cleaning almost forever.

If it does get dirty, then a good product for cleaning sensitive LCD and other organic screens can be found here:

http://www.pixelclean.com/product/Pi...Set-of-12.html

I use that for TV LCD screens, Garmin GPS Devices, cell phones, camera lenses, etc. Just wipe GENTLY in the middle with the wet cloth and then GENTLY dry with the dry cloth towards the edges. If you apply pressure or get liquid near the edges, it could destroy the screen.

LCD TV's need that for dust accumulations once every 6 weeks but hand held devices almost never need that cleaning unless they are really dirty.

Last edited by sirmaru; 03-03-2011 at 09:36 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
NEVER clean the Kindle WiFi eInk screen unless it is really dirty. I've never cleaned mine at all for the last 6 months since purchase. If you keep it covered with the Marware cover, it should last clean without any cleaning almost forever.

If it does get dirty, then a good product for cleaning sensitive LCD and other organic screens can be found here:

http://www.pixelclean.com/product/Pi...Set-of-12.html

I use that for TV LCD screens, Garmin GPS Devices, cell phones, camera lenses, etc. Just wipe GENTLY in the middle with the wet cloth and then GENTLY dry with the dry cloth towards the edges. If you apply pressure or get liquid near the edges, it could destroy the screen.

LCD TV's need that for dust accumulations once every 6 weeks but hand held devices almost never need that cleaning unless they are really dirty.
I clean it dry with a microfiber cloth. When it has dust. It's just like wiping the dust off. I don't use any cleaning solution or even water.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Post a picture, or a link to a picture, of your Kindle's screen.
I'll post a picture as soon as I can find a camera. Don't have one in my cell phone.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Marware Cover

Quote:
I clean it dry with a microfiber cloth. When it has dust. It's just like wiping the dust off. I don't use any cleaning solution or even water.
There should never be dust on the Kindle WiFi if you use this cover:

http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Eco-Fl...9164180&sr=8-2

Keep the cover closed when not actually reading off the device.

Do NOT even attempt to clean dust off that eInk screen. The slightest pressure could destroy pixels. It is not like the touch screens on the Sony PRS 900 or the iTouch. They have a special screen coat which protects them. Also, never allow other items to weigh on a the screen. Store in a pockebook vertically to avoid pressure. Horizontal storage could destroy the screen.

The pixelclean product is designed to be used without any pressure at all. TV LCD screens can also be destroyed by application of hand pressure or use of most liquids.

Last edited by sirmaru; 03-03-2011 at 10:04 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Do NOT even attempt to clean dust off that eInk screen. The slightest pressure could destroy pixels. It is not like the touch screens on the Sony PRS 900 or the iTouch. They have a special screen coat which protects them
I wipe the dust off my screen with a microfiber cloth all the time; I've done so for two years and there's not a scratch, blemish or dead pixel on it. I don't think the screen is quite as delicate as you make it out to be. I even dampen it when there's a spot that won't wipe off easily.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I wipe the dust off my screen with a microfiber cloth all the time; I've done so for two years and there's not a scratch, blemish or dead pixel on it. I don't think the screen is quite as delicate as you make it out to be. I even dampen it when there's a spot that won't wipe off easily.
I agree. I clean off my television and computer screen (LCD) and use cleaning product and have never had a problem.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Please explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hi HarryT
What on earth are you talking about here ?
Never read/heard about that before. So tell me/us more about it ;-D
Just checked my K3 with a VERY strong magnifying glass and saw nothing like "black dusting". The surface is not smooth, but..

And to other posters, I DO wipe it regularly with a silk cloth I use for my spectacles, and since 2010 I've no problems what so ever with that.
Using cleaning fluids is a different matter. NEVER spray on the screen directly.
ALL forms of wiping should done with a "delicate touch" !
I have NO idea just HOW fragile the screen is.

Lastly: I concur doctors. Let's have some pictures, we're all guessing here.
Cheers,
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I wonder if a screenshot would reveal the defects or if the screenshot would only show what is suppose to be on the screen?

Could the microfiber cloth be creating static which affects some underlying pixels? Charging or uncharging areas of the screen?
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

I don't think the screenshot will show it.

Post a picture up.
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote