Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 05:12 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Oh My! Horrible review - Next 10" Tablet

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...er_whatev.html

Next Tablet...

http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/electric/carryover/10/13

Last edited by kennyc; 10-09-2010 at 05:14 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:20 AM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Oh my, oh my.

Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yikes! Shows that Apple's approach of controlling both the hardware and the o/s does have its benefits.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
At least he proved how strong the touch screen is !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
All I can say is... Next!
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What's a bit odd is that "Next" would sell an Android tablet at all. For those outside the UK, "Next" are a well-known British high-street brand, but known as a shop that sells fashionable clothes. It's the last place in the world I'd think of buying a computer from!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

My thought also....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Not so odd really; Next have a huge catalogue that includes TV, audio & HiFi, computing, kitchen & domestic appliances, gaming etc.. etc... They already offer the Archos 8" and 9" tablets; I'd guess that this is just some (not so) bright spark saying 'hey, let's do an own-brand 10" tablet - we just buy one in and slap our name on it...'

Shame they didn't test it first

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, Pete - I didn't know that they sold any of that kind of thing!
Old 10-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
There is a whole bunch of Android-based tablets coming out (or are out now) that are substandard (nothing against Android, just those who are rushing cr@p to the market). Case in point: The Augen 7" tablet, available at KMarts in this country for around $120. It bills itself as an ebook reader, movie viewer, all the usual suspects. It is however cheaply made, low battery life (still using LCD) and slow...

I can see folks buying these things and coming to the conclusion that Android is dodgy since most of the cheaply-made products will do will to distinguish their appearance and so the good ones will look like Android and so will the bad ones...
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
TotallyEpic
Enthusiast
TotallyEpic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wifi
The only interesting Android tablet coming out IMO, is the Archos 101. It's not horribly priced like most others.
TotallyEpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #12
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyEpic View Post
The only interesting Android tablet coming out IMO, is the Archos 101. It's not horribly priced like most others.
I'm still crossing my fingers hoping for the Notion Ink Adam tablet with a Pixel Qi screen.

Of course, I'll be wrong and it will turn out to be vaporware.

Edit: Not sure if you consider it affordable.

Last edited by Gwen Morse; 10-15-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
When I got to the bit that said:

Quote:
But not until you have swiped a padlock symbol to unlock the screen, which took me several minutes to master, during which the tablet kept going black.
I understood right off that the major problem could be found directly between the chair and the touchscreen. But then what can you expect from an Apple fan?

Not quite an unbiased review.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Signed Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura v2, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
When I got to the bit that said:

I understood right off that the major problem could be found directly between the chair and the touchscreen. But then what can you expect from an Apple fan?

Not quite an unbiased review.
Still, if you watch the video, it shows just how much the touchscreen doesn't really work. Watch how the screen wobbles when he just tries to tap on the Settings button, and how he's having a hard time sliding a row of icons to get to said Settings button
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Yes, but I didn't comment on the quality of the device, just the credibility of the reviewer.

Personally, I don't believe that there is an Android (or any other OS) device being produced in this arena that I would put my money on yet. And that is a very large YET.

I keep watching, but I think around the middle of 2011 will be the sweet spot.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote