Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #196
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I knew there was something I had to test for this. I've always labelled my SD cards and they were all recognised. I just removed the label on one and my Glo didn't see it. Putting the label back on solved it.

So, it looks like Kobo put a personality test into the latest firmware
Doesn't need much personality, I named the SD card 'test' and it works, well at least the H2O sees the card I've not yet loaded any books to it. However before this the H2O didn't even register that the card was there.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #197
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusephur View Post
Sorry, but that's not a view of the new new home screen. It's the old new home screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #198
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but that's not a view of the new new home screen. It's the old new home screen.
The two are virtually identical, the only major difference being that in the middle row there are additional tiles which can be displayed. However to get the idea of what the new-new homescreen looks like the linked image suffices. The major change is in the 'my books view' which now features an 'authors' and a 'collections' tab. However since 'my books' isn't the homescreen it's not relevant to what the homescreen looks like.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #199
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssee View Post
But and this is a big BUT, last night my battery was on 98%, this morning 30%. And I noticed that the light automatically turns on when I wake up the device, even though I switched off everything in the settings. Seems to be the same problem as Eric1116 is having.
Enough for me to restore the settings and to go back to the 8966 firmware. I'm pissed. Why can't these guys from Kobo do it right for once?
Strange. I haven't had that experience. My battery seems to be holding its charge well enough.

I usually have all "auto" functions unchecked and my light set at 6%. I just close the sleep cover when I'm done reading. No abnormal drain issues so far.

So I'm not sure that it is a firmware issue, otherwise one would expect to see it more widely across the board.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #200
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
The two are virtually identical, the only major difference being that in the middle row there are additional tiles which can be displayed. However to get the idea of what the new-new homescreen looks like the linked image suffices. The major change is in the 'my books view' which now features an 'authors' and a 'collections' tab. However since 'my books' isn't the homescreen it's not relevant to what the homescreen looks like.
I disagree. Given that the new new home screen is different enough, viewing the old new home screen doesn't cut it any longer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #201
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
I also had the battery drain issue with this firmware release.
Fully charged Friday night and when I picked it (KA1) up sometime Saturday it said battery was less than 5% and needed charged immediately.
I went back to the previous firmware and it's back to normal.
Just wanted to get it on the record.
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #202
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
It is not uncommon for the battery to drain one time after a syncing. Then after the recharge things return to normal.

. . . . . Pete
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #203
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
It is not uncommon for the battery to drain one time after a syncing. Then after the recharge things return to normal.

. . . . . Pete
Interesting. I hadn't known that.

I wonder if it makes a difference whether the update was sideloaded or done via wifi or the desktop Kobo app?

For what it's worth, I sideloaded my update and have, so far, experienced no undue battery drain.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #204
MGlitch
Wizard

I've also not experienced any battery drain and sideloaded the update. I will also note that I have rebooted my KA1 a few times, thanks to patching, since updating.

Perhaps those who have seen battery drain should turn their device off then on, and see if the drain persists.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #205
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
When I first got the KA1, it had a huge battery drain because the sleep cover didn't always work. I got used to peeking under the cover to make sure the light went out and the reader actually went to sleep. Later firmwares pretty much fixed this issue, but I still have the habit of checking to make sure. With 4.4.9298, the reader has not gone to sleep two or three times, so it might have something to do with that.
icallaci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #206
Odyssee
Connoisseur
Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Basic 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kndlewis View Post
I also had the battery drain issue with this firmware release.
Fully charged Friday night and when I picked it (KA1) up sometime Saturday it said battery was less than 5% and needed charged immediately.
I went back to the previous firmware and it's back to normal.
Just wanted to get it on the record.
Yes going back to the previous firmware seems to solve the problem. On my KA1 there was also the issue of the frontlight staying on in sleepmode. That is also gone with the previous firmware.
Odyssee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #207
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I disagree. Given that the new new home screen is different enough, viewing the old new home screen doesn't cut it any longer.
Dude, I just turned on my H2O with the new firmware installed. Allowing for the obvious difference between what I have loaded and what's in the other guy's account, I only see two tiny differences between the snapshot's new home screen and mine. First, my middle-right tile shows what collection I last accessed, and second, my bottom-right tile shows my Super Points balance instead of a Pocket link.

That's more than close enough to say, "yup, that's the new home screen."
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #208
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Dude, I just turned on my H2O with the new firmware installed. Allowing for the obvious difference between what I have loaded and what's in the other guy's account, I only see two tiny differences between the snapshot's new home screen and mine. First, my middle-right tile shows what collection I last accessed, and second, my bottom-right tile shows my Super Points balance instead of a Pocket link.

That's more than close enough to say, "yup, that's the new home screen."
Especially since those two things are variables in the 'new new' homescreen. It's totally possible to get the same homescreen in the linked image with the latest firmware.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #209
sladflob
Connoisseur
sladflob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Use the "Edit Toc" feature of Calibre on the book
Thanks for this. I found and added the Edit TOC button to my toolbar. I found that it's also available from the Tools menu (under Table of Contents) when you're editing a book.

Unfortunately it doesn't fix the problem I have with search. The search itself works but if I tap on any one of the results it doesn't take me to the place in the book that the search result indicates - it just takes me back to the place in the book that I was last reading. It seems to think it is showing me the search result location because it shows me arrows for previous/next search results but pressing these also has no effect. It's totally broken.

I won't go on about it more here as it's not strictly limited to this firmware release but if anyone has a fix for that I'd be very grateful. Otherwise I may start a new thread about it.
sladflob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:29 PM   #210
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Mac User:

I've placed the kobo-update-4.4.9298 folder into the .kobo folder of my KA1 (drag and drop in the Finder), ejected the device, and no update occurs. I've also powered the KA1 off, then turned it back on. I remounted the device and that update folder is still sitting all perty in the .kobo folder. Any suggestions?

Update: Ah, I followed some advice online, but it was wrong. Dumping the kobo-update-4.4.9298 folder into .kobo will do nothing. Dumping the *contents* of kobo-update-4.4.9298 into .kobo does the trick. I'll leave this post here just in case some other Mac user runs into the same problem.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-16-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote