Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2023, 01:33 PM   #1
WormGod
WormGod began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD, PRS-350
Help please. Kobo Clara HD frozen.

My Kobo Clara HD froze during a restart with only the three black dots displayed on the screen, and I can't restart or reset it. I have tried holding down the power button for both 15 and 30 seconds with no response.

Here's what I remember of the sequence of events.
Clara was around 60% battery, so I thought I'd recharge and update some books. WiFi is off. Started calibre (latest version) on my computer and plugged in Clara. Asked me if I wanted to connect or cancel. I chose connect, and the File Explorer window opened allowing me to view and transfer files. The screen of the Clara switched to "Connected and charging." However, calibre spun its heels and after a few minutes popped up an error saying it was unable to connect to the device. I closed calibre and decided to just let the Clara charge.
A while later, the Clara screen changed to "Connected and charged," so I disconnected it from the computer, and that's when the problems became obvious. The Clara remained on that screen (Connected and charged), nothing I did would change it. I tried holding the power button for 5 seconds, 15 seconds, 30 seconds. Nothing. I tried reconnecting to the computer. Nothing (and no recognition by the computer that it was connected). I decided to give up for the night and deal with it today.
Today, I connected it to the computer, and it restarted all the way to home screen and asked if I wanted to connect or cancel. I chose cancel and disconnected it because I wanted to check it out to make sure everything was OK.
Clara then displayed a "Battery Low - please charge" screen. Stupidly, I pressed the power button to restart it figuring that it would start and then I would connect it to the computer. It got as far as the three black dots and stopped. Nothing. I tried holding the power button for 5 seconds, 15 seconds, 30 seconds. Nothing. I tried reconnecting to the computer. Nothing (and no recognition by the computer that it was connected).

Sorry for the long and overly detailed post, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
WormGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:02 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Charge it using a wall charger for four hours then see if it will start up.

bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
My Kobo Clara HD froze during a restart with only the three black dots displayed on the screen, and I can't restart or reset it. I have tried holding down the power button for both 15 and 30 seconds with no response.

Here's what I remember of the sequence of events.
Clara was around 60% battery, so I thought I'd recharge and update some books. WiFi is off. Started calibre (latest version) on my computer and plugged in Clara. Asked me if I wanted to connect or cancel. I chose connect, and the File Explorer window opened allowing me to view and transfer files. The screen of the Clara switched to "Connected and charging." However, calibre spun its heels and after a few minutes popped up an error saying it was unable to connect to the device. I closed calibre and decided to just let the Clara charge.
A while later, the Clara screen changed to "Connected and charged," so I disconnected it from the computer, and that's when the problems became obvious. The Clara remained on that screen (Connected and charged), nothing I did would change it. I tried holding the power button for 5 seconds, 15 seconds, 30 seconds. Nothing. I tried reconnecting to the computer. Nothing (and no recognition by the computer that it was connected). I decided to give up for the night and deal with it today.
Today, I connected it to the computer, and it restarted all the way to home screen and asked if I wanted to connect or cancel. I chose cancel and disconnected it because I wanted to check it out to make sure everything was OK.
Clara then displayed a "Battery Low - please charge" screen. Stupidly, I pressed the power button to restart it figuring that it would start and then I would connect it to the computer. It got as far as the three black dots and stopped. Nothing. I tried holding the power button for 5 seconds, 15 seconds, 30 seconds. Nothing. I tried reconnecting to the computer. Nothing (and no recognition by the computer that it was connected).

Sorry for the long and overly detailed post, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:19 PM   #3
WormGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Charge it using a wall charger for four hours then see if it will start up.

bernie
Just gave that a try. Didn't work. No response.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:12 PM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
You need to recharge your battery somehow. It's dead. The Clara is probably fine.

I don't know which OS your computer uses, but however it ejects hardware you need to go through this process before disconnecting the Clara.

Also, when connecting and using Calibre, I've found the following process to be the best:
Switch on the Clara and go to the Home page.
Open Calibre.
Then connect your Clara to the computer using usb.
Click Connect on Clara's screen.

When you get a Windows Explorer box pop up on your computer, click out of it. You can send books to the Clara using Calibre. If you need to do anything else, such as load a custom font, do this by using the Start Menu of Computer -- Kobo (open).

Initially, let it charge for as long as possible. Do this at a time when you will be using your computer - don't allow it to sleep as this can be draining to the Clara's battery. You do seem to have a dead battery.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:59 PM   #5
WormGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
You need to recharge your battery somehow. It's dead. The Clara is probably fine.

I don't know which OS your computer uses, but however it ejects hardware you need to go through this process before disconnecting the Clara.

Also, when connecting and using Calibre, I've found the following process to be the best:
Switch on the Clara and go to the Home page.
Open Calibre.
Then connect your Clara to the computer using usb.
Click Connect on Clara's screen.

When you get a Windows Explorer box pop up on your computer, click out of it. You can send books to the Clara using Calibre. If you need to do anything else, such as load a custom font, do this by using the Start Menu of Computer -- Kobo (open).

Initially, let it charge for as long as possible. Do this at a time when you will be using your computer - don't allow it to sleep as this can be draining to the Clara's battery. You do seem to have a dead battery.
Thanks. I use Windows 10, and I follow that exact process when connecting and using calibre, and I am always careful to us the eject process before disconnecting.

After letting it sit all night, I tried reconnecting it to the PC, and it restarted. I let it charge fully before disconnecting, and it is fine now. Of course, I am sure that my battery is somewhat degraded.

I am speculating that there was either some small residual charge left in the battery that needed to be drained overnight before connecting triggered a restart, or perhaps some process in the Clara needed to time out before it would restart on a connection.

In any case, it is working and thanks for the help!