Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Comics on the iPad

http://www.panelfly.com/ipad/

Quote:
A new Panelfly family member - iPad.
On the iPhone, Panelfly revolutionized digital comics with is patent pending narrative navigation engine and offered an unprecedented user experience. Now, without hinderance of the smaller screen, Panelfly will once again change the experience of digital reading forever on the iPad.
Looks nice!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
kilron
Connoisseur
kilron doesn't litterkilron doesn't litter

Device: iPod touch
yep. comic books seem like the perfect marriage for the ipad. lets hope the comic book publishers agree. could be a great selling point for some.
kilron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Since the tired old e-ink vs lcd argument won't stop shitting up the other thread, maybe if anyone wants to discuss comics on the ipad they could use this older thread instead?
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
comics are nice, but i'd rather see some good graphic novels released. the watchmen. 300. etc. can't say i would go for the monthly comics.

kind of surprised but all i seem to see are marvel and some indy shops. time warner/dc is going to be late to the game.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
kind of surprised but all i seem to see are marvel and some indy shops. time warner/dc is going to be late to the game.
DC needs to get into the game already. I'm sure the big publishers have had their entire collection scanned long before the iPad released. Now they just have to prepare a store, a reader, and perform some processing on the scans for the panel follow mode like they have in the Marvel app.

I hope the industry moves towards a hard/soft copy hybrid distribution system, so that when you buy the hard copy of a comic you get a download code to obtain the digital version. I'm still not persuaded to pay $2 for a digital copy of a single comic... I rather buy a hard copy omnibus and get a lot more comic for the money.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I'm pretty impressed with Marvel's free app...they seem to totally get it-almost makes me want to start reading comics again.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

marvel's app is just a rebranded version of comicxology
Old 05-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I'm pretty impressed with Marvel's free app...they seem to totally get it-almost makes me want to start reading comics again.
The app is really nice (as is its progenitor, Comixology), but they need to improve the selection dramatically, and get stuff that's a lot more recent up. I understand they don't want to cannibalize print sales, but there's no reason they couldn't have books from 2-3 months ago available.

Still, they're way ahead of DC, who has apparently decided that if they keep their head in the sand long enough, this whole Internet fad will blow over.

On another semi-related topic, are there any good apps/sites that aggregate daily newspaper strips?
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post
On another semi-related topic, are there any good apps/sites that aggregate daily newspaper strips?
yahoo's app does a few, but it kept crashing on me so I deleted it.. was the only interesting thing i found in it too..
Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I haven't had the Yahoo app crash. It does have some comics. TV Listings which are useful too (if you watch TV anyway). And of course entertainment news--which I didn't care for, but others may.

More on topic, the one issue I have with the Marvel app (and Comixology too of course) is in most comics the text size is too small in full screen.

Fine in the panel by panel mode, but then the art work gets pixelated. And comics are just meant to be seen a page at a time IMO.

So they need to find a way to make the fonts a bit larger, or it's just another reason for needing a screen an inch or two bigger for some purposes like comics, A4 PDFs etc.

Seems like it would be easy enough to alter the font sizes though. And comics do look amazing on the iPad otherwise.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 05-12-2010 at 11:02 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #11
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
More on topic, the one issue I have with the Marvel app (and Comixology too of course) is in most comics the text size is too small in full screen.

Fine in the panel by panel mode, but then the art work gets pixelated. And comics are just meant to be seen a page at a time IMO.

So they need to find a way to make the fonts a bit larger, or it's just another reason for needing a screen an inch or two bigger for some purposes like comics, A4 PDFs etc.

Seems like it would be easy enough to alter the font sizes though. And comics do look amazing on the iPad otherwise.
I think the Marvel comics are scans with either info on where each panel is and the order of panels, or maybe the app is able to detect panels from the scans. Either way it looks like the text is just part of the scan and not its own font entity, meaning that when you zoom into the panel the text (and everything else in the panel) will get fuzzier.

A slightly larger screen would be nice for full size comics. I also like viewing a comic as a page rather than go panel to panel, but I think the panel to panel mode is a nice compromise for a smaller screen or people with poor eyesight.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you look at some of the previous iphone and android comic apps, they all seem to do some kind of panel to panel thing due to the smaller screensize and that is just with regular scanned images so I very much doubt the scans for this marvel app require any additional info either.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #13
Crowl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
The marvel app on the ipad is just a rebranded version
I hope the industry moves towards a hard/soft copy hybrid distribution system, so that when you buy the hard copy of a comic you get a download code to obtain the digital version. I'm still not persuaded to pay $2 for a digital copy of a single comic... I rather buy a hard copy omnibus and get a lot more comic for the money.
Marvel's choice of pricing on the ipad seems all the more odd when they already have an alternative subscription system on the pc called digital comics unlimited that is a lot better value at $10 a month or $5 a month if you pay 12 months upfront.

You could understand this difference if the comics on the ipad were almost up to date with the paper editions, but they are no newer than the other system so the only logical conclusion seems to be that they have spotted a chance to rip people off as they want to play with their new toy rather than making a serious effort to encourage digital editions, unless anyone knows if apple puts any kind of restrictions that might prevent them bringing over their subscription model?
Old 05-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, I realized they were probably just scans. Just saying they'd have to do something else to get me to read on a 9.7" screen. Especially at the pricing. $2 is just too much for a comic I'll read once and never look at a gain.

But on that front, the only way they could do that type of pricing is to jump out of the App and in to a web browser like the Kindle App does.

Apple requires in app purchases to be priced at values ending in .99 cents currently. So there only options are .99, 1.99, 2.99 etc. And I'm pretty sure apps can't sell subscriptions at the moment--not sure if they could sell subscriptions via websites, but I don't see how Apple could regulated that since it's not within app.

So that would require Apple loosening that restriction for them to offer a subscription or prices per issue other than .99, 1.99 etc.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 05-13-2010 at 03:52 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I go to my local comic store every week and spend a considerable amount of money on monthly comics (Mostly DC but some Marvel and others). Since I don't keep my comics anymore (After a while I either give them away or recycle them) and anything I do want to keep I buy in trade form or hardcover I'd love to be able to just once a week hit a button and have all my comics deliverered electronically to the iPad I'm getting at the Euro launch in a few weeks.

C'mon comic book companies. Make it happen!
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote