Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #46
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
I don't feel sorry for B&N anymore. Only for the consumers left with fewer options every day. If someone wins a billion dollars in the lottery, you should hook up with Kovid to make an ereader designed with calibre in mind.

Like someone else said, they aren't even trying. Saving money is supposed to be a path towards having more money in the future. Spending money on inventory and staff is an *investment*.
I wish someone would make an ereader with Calibre built in as part of the basic operating system and enough memory for all your books. Not just a reader, a library and catalog system combined with a reader. Most of the other bells and whistles like xray I could do without.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #47
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I wish someone would make an ereader with Calibre built in as part of the basic operating system and enough memory for all your books. Not just a reader, a library and catalog system combined with a reader. Most of the other bells and whistles like xray I could do without.
Does it have to be eink?
If you can tolerate LCD you can have it right now.
(Sort of.)

Otherwise... Very unlikely.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #48
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I use my Surface Pro 4. I have Calibre on it and use the Calibre Reader. It works great for me. I used to read a lot of Hard Cover Books and neither the size nor weight bother me.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #49
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I went to a local B&N store here in Austin to buy a computer book for work. It was full price in the store at $44.95, but they are selling it online for $32.47, which qualified for free shipping.

I wanted the book immediately, so I opted for the full price. It does seem like the consumer really pays for the mega stores and the immediate gratification of having a paper book in hand. I normally would opt for an ebook, but I find they don't translate well to Kindle or Kobo due to the scripting examples often resorting to pictures which are hard to view.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #50
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
The closest you can get at the moment would be an Android based reader with Calibre Companion and your choice of reading app. CC doesn't have a reader built in, but several work well in conjunction with it.

Unless you're saying you want Calibre aspects such as conversion and book editing, etc as well. That would take a pretty powerful device.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2018, 11:35 PM   #51
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Hey, Brian, your kitties just love to wear their Santa hats year 'round?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #52
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Hey, Brian, your kitties just love to wear their Santa hats year 'round?
Knew I was forgetting something

I still have holiday lights up on the house too (although not on) as it's been too blasted cold most of the time to deal with them...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #53
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I stopped in to the local Circuit City after they got rid of the experienced personnel. It was so bad I couldn't even laugh.

///
You're singing to the choir, Bro!

... and then they came for "my" CompUSA as well.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #54
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
You're singing to the choir, Bro!

... and then they came for "my" CompUSA as well.
Dunno 'bout your CompUsa but mine was so bad their instore pickup for online orders never worked. The inventory system said they had the product in stock but the staff had no idea where it was. It took forever to find and sometimes they just gave up.

Circuit City at least got that right: they actually met their 20 minute promise for online orders. Usually with time to spare. I lived 10minutes away and they had the stuff on the shelf by the time I walked into the store. And this was after the layoffs.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:02 AM   #55
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Dunno 'bout your CompUsa but mine was so bad their instore pickup for online orders never worked. The inventory system said they had the product in stock but the staff had no idea where it was. It took forever to find and sometimes they just gave up.

Circuit City at least got that right: they actually met their 20 minute promise for online orders. Usually with time to spare. I lived 10minutes away and they had the stuff on the shelf by the time I walked into the store. And this was after the layoffs.
Back in the days when Black Friday meant getting up at 6 AM on Friday morning for the sales, Circuit City was awful. Their checkout system couldn't keep up.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:26 AM   #56
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Back in the days when Black Friday meant getting up at 6 AM on Friday morning for the sales, Circuit City was awful. Their checkout system couldn't keep up.
Oooh, yeah.
I never bothered to go early.
Even at their best it was never fast.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #57
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Oooh, yeah.
I never bothered to go early.
Even at their best it was never fast.
Which is funny, as I remember for a while their slogan was "Welcome to Circuit City, Where Service Is State of the Art"
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:47 AM   #58
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Which is funny, as I remember for a while their slogan was "Welcome to Circuit City, Where Service Is State of the Art"
Circuit City - where my sister took a HP ink jet printer for repair, or at least diagnosis work. They insisted it was DEAD and wanted her to pay $100 for the diagnosis and buy a new one too. Turned out that the ink cartridge was bad and the printer worked fine once it was replaced by another computer store with competent diagnosis ability.

After the repair she went back to Circuit Shitty and demanded her diagnosis fee back. Had to go as high as the store manager to get it, but did get it.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:26 PM   #59
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
This reminds me I got some gift cards to use up.
Same here. Any suggestions for someone that only does amazon ebooks?
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #60
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
So this move by B&N may be bad for the employees but it portends a far worse fate for B&N, who claim it will save them $40M a year (less than $80,000 a year per store)
So do you think B&N will file bankruptcy before, or after Christmas 2018?

Amber
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote