Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Feedback on new cover please

The cover is for a zany over-the-top humorous thriller.

Here's the blurb:

Laney Tripper is a whiskey-drinking hard-living animal rescue feminist who loves what she does: keeping women and animals safe. But she has just this one little problem: she can’t seem to stop killing men.

Lainey’s the head of the IWS, a radical feminist animal rescue group dedicated to stopping the nefarious Donovan from oppressing women and animals. But now Donovan has taken his evil to a new level—he’s systematically stealing Chicago’s dogs. This is clearly unacceptable to Lainey and the IWS, but in Lainey’s enthusiasm to stop Donovan, she kills quite a lot of men, making her a target of Donovan’s retaliation and alienating law enforcement. Her fellow IWS members plead with her to moderate her man-killing tendencies, but Lainey feels the men she kills deserve it, and besides, she must do whatever it takes to save Chicago’s dogs.

Will Lainey stop Donovan in time? And when she’s done, will any men be left alive?

Here's the old cover:

And here's the new one:

Old 01-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
One of your better covers but not fond of the background color. It obscures her cape and your name.
Advert
Old 01-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The red background and the light green text is very fuzzy and almost strobes, making it tough to read. Same with the red text in all caps.

I'm not a fan of sans serif and all caps in most uses. There is no whimsy, it looks too utilitarian.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #4
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I would check the green/blue on red text for accessibility (I found it a bit hard on the eyes and i'm not even colour blind). Also, your name is obscured by the hounds.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I like the foreground of the new cover, it seems to suit the blurb very well. As others have noted, there are problems reading the title (either the background or the font colour has to change), and problems reading your name.
Advert
Old 01-08-2018, 09:57 PM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
One of your better covers but not fond of the background color. It obscures her cape and your name.
Thanks Cin. I'm going to change the background color. Find something that works better with the red cape. And I've got to find a way to make my name clearer.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:58 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The red background and the light green text is very fuzzy and almost strobes, making it tough to read. Same with the red text in all caps.

I'm not a fan of sans serif and all caps in most uses. There is no whimsy, it looks too utilitarian.
Thanks Desk. Yeah, it could use some whimsy. I'm going to experiment with fonts.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:58 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
I would check the green/blue on red text for accessibility (I found it a bit hard on the eyes and i'm not even colour blind). Also, your name is obscured by the hounds.
Agree on both points. Thanks skb. I'll be back with new improved version.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:00 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I like the foreground of the new cover, it seems to suit the blurb very well. As others have noted, there are problems reading the title (either the background or the font colour has to change), and problems reading your name.
Thanks gmw. Yeah, the dogs are good! Ha ha. But I'll work on the other stuff and be back with a better version.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
And I've got to find a way to make my name clearer.
Black outline version of your font to bring out your name, and maybe play with the fill color
Old 01-09-2018, 01:10 AM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
The cover is for a zany over-the-top humorous thriller.

Both the title and the byline have unfortunate contrast issues. The Title has that aqua-on-red, which needs to be changed, and the byline is just unreadable, with the red on too-many-different-background-colors.

Consider doing something more-traditional; try a white or whitey-yellow color for the title; it may need a darker outline color. And honestly, you may find that this would also work best for the byline, as well. And again, you'll need to put a border on those letters, I suspect.

Other than that, it's much much better than most of your covers, Gregg, and I'm pleased for you.

Hitch
Old 01-09-2018, 01:52 AM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Black outline version of your font to bring out your name, and maybe play with the fill color
Thanks ducks. I tried doing that but it was just even with that, it was just too busy. Instead I lowered the grass. Here's what I came up with.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:52 AM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshni Patel View Post
Text and background color is making the poster bit clumsy which needs to be changed
Thanks Roshni. Hopefully I cleared that up.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:54 AM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Both the title and the byline have unfortunate contrast issues. The Title has that aqua-on-red, which needs to be changed, and the byline is just unreadable, with the red on too-many-different-background-colors.

Consider doing something more-traditional; try a white or whitey-yellow color for the title; it may need a darker outline color. And honestly, you may find that this would also work best for the byline, as well. And again, you'll need to put a border on those letters, I suspect.

Other than that, it's much much better than most of your covers, Gregg, and I'm pleased for you.

Hitch

Hitch, was working on this before I saw your post. Does the new version clear up some of the problems? Thanks.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:09 AM   #15
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Gregg, I like most of what you've done there. I am inclined to think that the book title could be larger in comparison to the subtitle ("... Book 1" and "... Tripper Novel") elements. And/or maybe the the author name could go down in size a little.

... Basically, I don't think the proportions are quite right yet, but the colours are working fairly well for me.

Not sure I'm entirely convinced by the cape. I like the idea, it just doesn't look all that natural. And, now it's no longer lost in the background the less-than-perfect appearance is more obvious.
Closed Thread