Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 11-07-2016, 05:26 AM   #1
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Tolino Vision 4 HD

Tolino's newest e-reader is going to be released starting tomorrow. 6 inch 300ppi Carta screen, 8GB of internal memory, new firmware with updated interface and the ability to change the colour temperature of the frontlight, same as with the new Kobo Aura One.

Video review (in Italian) here.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
Geenween
Enthusiast
Geenween began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Energy reader Pro+
For a price of 169 euro (a whopping 60 euros less than the Aura One) it can be a formidable adversary in Europe, of course if you aren't interested in a big sized reader. It is not clear if there is a light sensor as in the Aura One, or the light has to be adjusted manually (possibly set to change automatically based on time?).

The italian version of the FW is also integrated with our library system (MLol, which is running an additional program very similar to the Kindle unlimited but with big titles in catalogue). VERY tempting for me...
Geenween is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #3
CyberPaul
Groupie
CyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage - Tolino Vision 4 HD - Kobo Sage
No light sensor.
Only the color temperature is adjusted automatically based on time.
And I bought it
I was tempted to buy the 3 HD but I expected to have a new model soon. And I was right!
CyberPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
Harnonia
Harnonia began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hi! I'm considering buying this device (it would be my first ereader ever). I've seen this Tolino (and Kobos) in a bookstore and I liked it, expecially the screen. Could someone give me some feedback about it? I'm particularly interested in dictionary/translation function. Is it comfortable to use?
Thank you.
Harnonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harnonia View Post
Hi! I'm considering buying this device (it would be my first ereader ever). I've seen this Tolino (and Kobos) in a bookstore and I liked it, expecially the screen. Could someone give me some feedback about it? I'm particularly interested in dictionary/translation function. Is it comfortable to use?
Thank you.
I have the Vision 3 HD - same weight and size as the 4. I find it really comfortable (I no longer use my Kobo H2O because I find the Tolino more comfortable to hold).

The available dictionaries are for German, English, Spanish, Dutch and Italian. I only use the English dictionary and it is fine - based on wiktionary.

The 4 has a newer, revised version of firmware (mainly to cater for the new light functions), but with a few other minor changes. I would describe the reading software as more basic than the Kobo, but perfectly fine with epubs. (It is poor with pdfs).

In use my Tolino has been very reliable (I was one of the unlucky ones who experienced too frequent corrupt database errors with my Kobo - which is why I got the Tolino, even though it is not officially supported in the UK).
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
Irian
Enthusiast
Irian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Irian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Irian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Irian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Irian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-600, PRS-650, Tolino Vision 3 HD, Kobo Libra H20
Does the new firmware at least support external management of collections or does it still require you to manage them manually on the tolino? That's the thing that prevents me from ever buying a tolino again, the software. Hardware is great, but the software is primitive at best.
Irian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If one uses Calibre it is possible to have a form of automatic collections management in recent versions of the Tolino firmware. I have mine set to create collections based upon the genre field in Calibre - it does make choosing my next read so much easier for me.

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-830F using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2016, 02:15 AM   #8
CyberPaul
Groupie
CyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheese

Very interesting!
How did you do that?
My favorite grouping criterion is the series. Can I do that?
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #9
church mouse
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
Very interesting!
How did you do that?
My favorite grouping criterion is the series. Can I do that?
Thanks in advance.
There are 2 Calibre things I do to help me find my books on my Tolino:

1. In the metadata plug boards section of Calibre Preferences, I created a plugboard so that the name of my books in Tolino includes the series (if there is a series) - my format for the plugboard is {title} {series_index:0>2s|[|] }{series:|| }

2. To create a collection on the Tolino one customizes the Tolino device interface in the plug-ins section of Calibre Preferences. (To find the interface just go to the plug-ins section and search for Tolino - there is only one Tolino Interface plug-in).
Once you have found the plug-in you need to select the Customize option, then within that ensure "Read Metadata" and "Use Sub-Directories" boxes are ticked and in the space below create the folder template for how you wish to sort your collection.
As an example, my template is - Shelf / {tags} / {Title} {series:|| } {series_index:0>2s|[|] } {authors}.

The "Shelf" element is to name the new folder, then I have the books sorted by tag, title etc taken from the field names Calibre uses.

NOTE: this will not work for books already on the device, so if one wants to have it apply to all your Calibre sent books I discovered one must first delete any such existing books on the Tolino and this deletion MUST be done via the Tolino's own delete function (fortunately there is a 'select all' option on the Tolino), NOT via Calibre (deleting through Calibre does not remove the Tolino's hidden record of the book and its metadata which the Tolino will keep using).

It took me a couple of practises synching just two or three books at a time before I got the formatting of the template to show the collection and book name exactly as I wanted them. (I was working off a Google translation of German instructions I found on the lesen.net site). However, it has worked perfectly ever since.

I hope this is of some use.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #10
CyberPaul
Groupie

Thank you! Very helpful.
What I didn't get is when do you use a multiple level folder, like the structure you mentioned, what is used as collection?
As I assume that is not possible to have multiple level collections, right?
Old 11-24-2016, 02:05 AM   #11
Irian
Enthusiast
Irian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Irian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Irian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Irian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Irian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Could you please give the link to the german instructions, just for reference?
Old 11-24-2016, 02:52 AM   #12
church mouse
Evangelist

@Irian Lesen link is:

http://www.lesen.net/forum/ebook-rea...405#post336405

@CyberPaul

I tried but could not get multiple levels for collections.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #13
CyberPaul
Groupie

So what level is used as collection? The outer one? The inner one?
Old 11-24-2016, 08:07 AM   #14
church mouse
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
So what level is used as collection? The outer one? The inner one?
In my example, within Collections on the Tolino, I see books organised by {tag}, which is the genre I have given them. Within each genre, books are then sorted by author name.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #15
Irian
Enthusiast

Thanks @church mouse.

Tags
tolino, tolino vision