Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
nauru
nauru began at the beginning.

Device: none
8.5x11 e-ink reader, with no DRM or other features

I'm looking for an e-reader which meets the following three characteristics.

1. 8.5x11 inch viewable screen. Nothing smaller will do. A4 size/shape would also be sufficient.

2. e-ink. Abolutely no backlit screens.

3. Can read pdf files perfectly with no requirement to convert anything to a propietary format ever, no need to email docs to myself and pay some fee, and no requirement to buy books from a certain content provider ever.

The reason is that I use the device solely for imperfectly scanned academic journal articles and technical papers, and imperfectly scanned sheet music, and pdf versions of popular periodicals, so I need to see a whole page at once at very good resolution, at true size -- no smaller. Don't need mobi, or epub or any other strange formats, just pdf which is the global standard and all I really need to be able to view. ipad is too small, kindle is too small, sony readers are all too small. Internet access not necessary, bookstores not necessary, just want to be able to load my pdfs onto a viewing panel and take all my docs with me on the train, or to a site visit, etc.

Skiff was going to be perfect for my needs, but has missed launch dates over and over again, and now seems to have been bought by a company that wants to chain users to a fee-based content provider.

So is there anything else? I have been waiting for the Skiff for 3 years now, and I'm tired of waiting.

The reader in the following video if it is 8.5x11, looks perfect (skip to 0:34-0:38). But I'm not sure of the name. Anyone have any thoughts on what might product might finally meet my modest requirements?

Feel free to ignore the rest on e-ink video etc, not relevant to this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co8Vm...ayer_embedded#!

Thanks for your input.

Kind of frustrated because it seems like dozens of designs have been brought to market with every screen size imaginable, except the size of a regular piece of paper.

Last edited by nauru; 12-26-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
thdanh90
thdanh90 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Skiff Vaporware, Wireless Kobo
Just to add another device that has bitten the dust: QUE ProReader. It's rumored that the company is developing a "second-generation" of the reader after failing to meet the deadline in this summer. Once again, it will be at least 6 months before we can see any professional/academic eReaders. I wouldn't hold my breath anyway.
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
It's 9.7" diagonal in 4:3 . There is no one producing anything larger diagonally at this time. LG has begun limited production run of the larger foil backed dispaly that was to be used int he Skiff but for what product I dont knwo.

They started a manufacturing partnership with iRiver http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetrevi...-venture/15553 so it's expected something will come from that. no announcements have been made as yet.

for the 9.7 inch eink reader the only one that meets your criteria at this time is the PocketBook 902(and 903 if in Europe)
Old 12-28-2010, 03:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle DX is another 9.7" reader worth considering.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:01 AM   #5
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
If you're looking for large, I don't think we're there yet. When you look at the specs of this 14.1" screen, Kno Specs, you'll realise that it's dimensions are just about 8.5" x 11", but may even be slightly less. The unit is 9.1" wide, but more than likely just 8.1" of viewable screen. At 13.8" tall, take off about an inch for viewable screen, then take off for the toolbars and you may be just at 11.5".

So, what you're really looking for is a 14" screen or larger in eink. Hopefully, you won't have to wait too long.
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
nauru

Yeah the diagonal viewable screen I need is 13.9 inches (US and Canada standard) or 14.3 inches (A4 sheet, rest of the world standard).
Old 01-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauru View Post
Yeah the diagonal viewable screen I need is 13.9 inches (US and Canada standard) or 14.3 inches (A4 sheet, rest of the world standard).
don't forget you can subtract margins for the most part if not using PDF files so a need for a 14" diagonal (~8.5x11") page/display can work on an 11"-12" screen. Sorry I am not in the mood to dust off the square-root button on the calculator to get an "exact" number but if the page can have it's margins reduced to about 0.25" or so then you should be golden in that 11"-12". This, btw, is the exact situation I am in for my large format reader needs.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You're out of luck. No Letter/A4 eInk screen exists.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
I just left a message with these guys saying that I hope someone will not find their 12" colour + scribble/note taking concept too extravagant to actually produce it:
http://eink.com/concept_showcase_12inch_reader.html#

Their Triton branch is into colour eInk displays...

Last edited by Lode; 01-11-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
nauru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
don't forget you can subtract margins for the most part if not using PDF files so a need for a 14" diagonal (~8.5x11") page/display can work on an 11"-12" screen. Sorry I am not in the mood to dust off the square-root button on the calculator to get an "exact" number but if the page can have it's margins reduced to about 0.25" or so then you should be golden in that 11"-12". This, btw, is the exact situation I am in for my large format reader needs.
I can't imagine anything I would want to read on the device which does not come in PDF format. It is the de facto global standard for technical and non-fiction reading. Just about all academic journals are in pdf, as are all private sector research reports, manuals, textbooks, magazines, newspapers, other periodicals, think tank propaganda, corporate financial statements, and other non-fiction of all kinds. And anything that comes in doc or some other format can be instantly converted to pdf by clicking the print button. So if the device did absolutely nothing except display pdf files in black and white at full size, I would be happy. If it would cost $1000 I would still buy it.

12 inch diagonal is not ok. Have you seen how small the print is already at full size on the Economist magazine, and many academic journals and corporate financial statements? Further, the legends and labels on charts and tables are typically even smaller than the already tiny font used in the main body of the articles. Making this over 14% smaller than the already tiny true size is not the way forward IMO.

(Many public domain fiction works also come in pdf format. Those which are in some other format are easily convertible by clicking print. But to me this a secondary concern, being able to read non-fiction properly on the device is the priority for me)

Last edited by nauru; 01-14-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
I can't imagine anything I would want to read on the device which does not come in PDF format. It is the de facto global standard for technical and non-fiction reading. Just about all academic journals are in pdf, as are all private sector research reports, manuals, textbooks, magazines, newspapers, other periodicals, think tank propaganda, corporate financial statements, and other non-fiction of all kinds. And anything that comes in doc or some other format can be instantly converted to pdf by clicking the print button. So if the device did absolutely nothing except display pdf files in black and white at full size, I would be happy. If it would cost $1000 I would still buy it.

12 inch diagonal is not ok. Have you seen how small the print is already at full size on the Economist magazine, and many academic journals and corporate financial statements? Further, the legends and labels on charts and tables are typically even smaller than the already tiny font used in the main body of the articles. Making this over 14% smaller than the already tiny true size is not the way forward IMO.

(Many public domain fiction works also come in pdf format. Those which are in some other format are easily convertible by clicking print. But to me this a secondary concern, being able to read non-fiction properly on the device is the priority for me)
oh, good grief!!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
nauru

Any new developments on the large-format e-ink reader? Any designers realized the need for a page-sized reader yet?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There is no 8.5"x11" eInk screen in existance.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #14
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Think you'll need to look into alternative screens, such as Pixel Qi or Mirasol.

There's no e-ink displays that size out atm, and from the following article it doesnt look like there will be this year:

http://gizmodo.com/#!5798040/therell...ders-this-year

Think only the Notion Ink Adam has pixel QI atm, but more devices should be on their way.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:46 AM   #15
akchris
akchris began at the beginning.

Device: Rooted Nook
There is a e-reader that fits your paramaters from Sony. and... it's $1000.

Link
Closed Thread