Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
guggle
guggle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo caught in a loop

I have an original Kobo that I bought about 4 months ago. I used it this afternoon without issue. I've just tried to turn it on and it appears to be caught in a loop. The light goes purple - as its supposed to when you power it on - then the screen goes temporarily blank and it looks like it is going to start normally with the progress bar at the bottom progressing. The light then flashes blue twice and the whole process starts again.

I've tried pressing the power button for short and long periods (about 10 seconds), tried every button and the reset button for short and long times (also about 10 seconds). The only thing pressing the reset button does is interrupt the loop so it can go back to the start. I guess eventually it will run out of power and go off, but has anyone else experienced this?

I charged the battery last week and checked it today - it was a little under half charged.

Michael.

Last edited by guggle; 11-04-2010 at 06:58 AM.
guggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Have you tried the paperclip in the back thing?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guggle View Post
I've tried pressing the power button for short and long periods (about 10 seconds), tried every button and the reset button for short and long times (also about 10 seconds). The only thing pressing the reset button does is interrupt the loop so it can go back to the start. I guess eventually it will run out of power and go off, but has anyone else experienced this?
I charged the battery last week and checked it today - it was a little under half charged.
Hey! How did you look at battery indicator without device being
booted up properly? Or I misread the thread?
Paper clip should really click. The purpose it to reboot, not to set
factory default. If you success in booting process, the safest would
be to default the reader and check all book names and metadata.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by guggle View Post
I have an original Kobo that I bought about 4 months ago. I used it this afternoon without issue. I've just tried to turn it on and it appears to be caught in a loop. The light goes purple - as its supposed to when you power it on - then the screen goes temporarily blank and it looks like it is going to start normally with the progress bar at the bottom progressing. The light then flashes blue twice and the whole process starts again.

Michael.
Do you have an SD card in your reader? That could be a problem too.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also what happens if you plug it into a PC (or Mac) Does the unit Kobo appear as a device, and can Kobo Desktop see it?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
guggle
guggle began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Hey! How did you look at battery indicator without device being booted up properly?
I was able to see the battery indicator while I was using it yesterday afternoon.
There is no SD card in the device.

After leaving the battery to drain overnight, I plugged it into my laptop first thing this morning and it picked up where it left off - straight back into the loop. This thing looks terminal now...
guggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
are you able to get it into upgrade mode? Menu > Center DPAD > Power (or reset)

If so, it may be worth it to redo a firmware upgrade.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote