Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2018, 06:34 AM   #46
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You have no chance of a new 350 type Reader from Sony.
Which is a pity. But the good news is that there are a lot of good, used Sony PRS-350s out there. Not so much with the Kobo Minis, they're pretty rare.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:50 AM   #47
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
My Sony PRS-350 is still running great, although the battery doesn't hold the charge as long anymore, as is expected. (I bought a new battery for it after I saw a youtube video demonstrating that replacement isn't all that difficult to do. I'll try to install it once it can no longer hold a decent charge.)

But it's the form factor I like. An H2O2 version of the PRS-350, that same slim, pocketablity would be nice. And yes, also with the buttons of the PRS-350 too! You can do page turns with the buttons OR by swiping, on the Sony. Your choice. Nice.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #48
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
The goodereader article is written so as to imply that downloading a single ebook could land you six years. It's actually "gross copyright infringement" that carries that maximum under the proposal - so w're talking large-scale distribution.
Exactly, which is why I wrote that the proposed law was targeting those who pirate ebooks, and not those who download the odd pirated ebook. They are seeking to go after those who are profiting off of pirated ebooks as Good Ereader reportedly once did.

Like so much of what comes out of Good Ereader, the article was just poorly written hyperbole.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #49
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would hope not. The problem is that with these sorts of laws, all it takes is one eBook that you bought but have no way to prove you did and you are in trouble. I know I cannot prove that I bought all the eBooks that I have bought. I've bought eBooks at stores that are out of business and I do not have the receipts. Also, if you share eBooks with family, you could get in trouble as technically it could be taken as illegal.

So let's not have such laws outside of Sweden.
It was intended as a joke given Good Ereader's previous business practices.

From what I understood of the poorly written article, the proposed law is directed at those who are profiting off of the pirating of ebooks... so unless you are selling multiple copies of your ebooks to extended family members, you probably won't have much to worry about.

That said, overzealous officials have sometimes been known to twist and apply laws in unusual ways when they have an axe to grind with some individual who has raised their ire.

I'd much rather see a law targeting those who use crowdfunding sites as a kind of Ponzi scheme, fully knowing that backers in faraway places likely won't have the resources to come after them for $700.

As for the 5" or smaller ereader, I think it could be a great idea if it were done properly. More choice is usually a good thing.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #50
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I always used to say I'd love a lighted Mini. And don't get me wrong if they released one I'm sure I'd buy it. But since the original Mini came out my eyesight has hit middle age and so I'm less likely to use a smaller reader.

BTW plenty of second hand Kobo Minis available here in the UK. Sony readers are not rare per se but I'd say they are less common.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If my eyesight started to decline enough, I would prefer a larger screen for larger fonts. Go large enough and a 5"screen becomes too small. There are times I've seen a 6" screen not be big enough. Granted, that was without hyphenation. But you get that on Sony Readers (pre-T3) and Kindles without KFX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #52
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
If my eyesight started to decline enough, I would prefer a larger screen for larger fonts. Go large enough and a 5"screen becomes too small. There are times I've seen a 6" screen not be big enough. Granted, that was without hyphenation. But you get that on Sony Readers (pre-T3) and Kindles without KFX.
As my eyesight is no longer what it used to be, in general, I prefer to read on a larger screen. That's why I got the KA1, the Onyx Max and have pre-ordered the Onyx Note 10.3.

However, I can see instances where a small ereader would come in quite handy. There are times, when traveling or hiking, when weight and size are a real concern. It might be nice to have a very small ereader at such times.

Actually, I would really like to have an eink phone. Not a hybrid like the Yotaphone, but a dedicated eink phone. Not for playing games or watching videos. Just a very functional device which went easy on the battery and could be used in direct sunlight. Of course, it would also need a frontlight so that it could be used at other times as well. Any photos taken or video recorded could be watched in colour once transferred to a tablet or computer.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #53
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I have a bridge I'd like to sell you
Prepare the crow pie.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
...so unless you are selling multiple copies of your ebooks to extended family members, you probably won't have much to worry about.
Hey, we all have to make a living somehow, Mr. Judge-y
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #55
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hey, we all have to make a living somehow, Mr. Judge-y
"Judge-y"? Perhaps. And maybe jury as well.

Now if only I could get the executioner/jailer part down...
Old 03-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #56
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Man, these guys really are news thieves – I've seen them do with stuff posted here (at Mobile Read) as well. But, aside from that, I completely agree that Kobo needs an entry level eReader. I don't even think it needs to be a Mini 2, just re-release the Minis and I would be happy. I wonder if the deal with Walmart will result in an entry level Kobo. Probably not.
If nothing else, you have to admire their turnaround time - it was only 4 hours between the original source and the ripped off story.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #57
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I would love it if this was true, but it doesn't appear to be true.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote