Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-10-2020, 09:26 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's nothing too esoteric about a calibre library. It ia a folder that has a metadata.db file in it, along with Author and Book Title subfolders, the latter containing a cover image, a restoreable copy of the book's metadata, and usually one or more book format files -- EPUB, PDF, CBZ etc -- but only one of each format.

The export/import feature was implemented to address this question ==>> How do I move my calibre data from one computer to another?. And then there's this question ==>> How do I backup calibre?

Basically you want to keep a copy of the library folder and everything it. The folder/file synch utilities maintain such copies incrementally. After the first copy, which would be of everything, they only copy changes (adds, changes and deletes) since the last copy.

Because the backup is an exact replica of a calibre library, it in itself is a calibre library. So if your library is destroyed, you can us normal OS tools to copy the backup to restore it, or even point calibre at the backup library and use it directly.

I use GoodSync to backup all my data, including calibre libraries and configuration data, to external USB 3.0 drives on a daily basis, and to a remote FTP server on a weekly basis.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:48 PM   #17
Kasrielle
Enthusiast
Kasrielle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
So all I have to do is back up my calibre library folder? Wow - I feel like such an idiot! Done!
Kasrielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2020, 05:17 AM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And the configuration folder.

BR
Old 06-14-2020, 06:11 AM   #19
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
actually, if you don't have lots of plugins, the config folder is just a nice to have.
without it, you simply have to recreate your preferences from scratch.
with plugins its more of a pain as you'd have to download the zips and re-add them
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:03 AM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
actually, if you don't have lots of plugins, the config folder is just a nice to have.
without it, you simply have to recreate your preferences from scratch.
with plugins its more of a pain as you'd have to download the zips and re-add them
IMO its worthwhile adding a 10 second step in a backup job to save a few 10s of megabytes and not have to worry about remembering what one did 10 years ago when a disk drive fails.

If you say its not worth it, then at least let's agree to disgree.

BR
Advert
Old 06-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #21
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
IMO its worthwhile adding a 10 second step in a backup job to save a few 10s of megabytes and not have to worry about remembering what one did 10 years ago when a disk drive fails.

If you say its not worth it, then at least let's agree to disgree.

BR
i agree with you. i include the config file when I backup. I just wanted to clarify why it is useful, and that its not the end of the world if that backup goes missing, or if getting windows to reveal a hidden folder is too challenging
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, importing, library