Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 06:42 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do the new readers have the library scan issue?

Can anyone who has a new 350/650 tell us whether the new models have the "library scan" issue that the older devices do? ie, when you start the device it scans all the books in memory, taking a very long time if you have more than a few hundred books?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
ooh I would love to know that too. I plan on keeping quite a few of my books on whichever reader I choose and would hate to have to wait for indexing.
901hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I wonder if anyone actually has one yet. The Sony Style store doesn't show they will ship before 9/16. But if someone does already have one, I would like to know that as well. I always find that so annoying with the PRS-600.

Etienne66.
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Otter
Connoisseur
Otter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, ipod Touch, ipad 2, NC, Kindle Scribe
This is my biggest question too. A few folks have posted that their orders have moved to shipping status via sonystyle, but I think it is only for the 350s....my 650 certainly hasn't. I hope we have some of these new models in peoples' hands to test this issue soon!
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Apparently, some people in Australia have the 650 :

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=86
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
Otter
Connoisseur
Otter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, ipod Touch, ipad 2, NC, Kindle Scribe
We need them to start loading theirs up to test!
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
I do have the 350 right now. Otter asked me the same question in another thread but I didn't know what "library scan" issue stood for - until I saw this thread.

I have 83 books on the device right now - not that much and I can't tell it loading them, except to load the thumbnails, which takes a while. I turned off thumbnail view in the book list as the device already locked once when I switched from date added to book title view. The thumbnails are really slow to appear, but once they do, they stay there, same for the Home menu, where the latest books, Continue Reading and Pictures under Applications show them.
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:30 AM   #8
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
I do have the 350 right now. Otter asked me the same question in another thread but I didn't know what "library scan" issue stood for - until I saw this thread.

I have 83 books on the device right now - not that much and I can't tell it loading them, except to load the thumbnails, which takes a while. I turned off thumbnail view in the book list as the device already locked once when I switched from date added to book title view. The thumbnails are really slow to appear, but once they do, they stay there, same for the Home menu, where the latest books, Continue Reading and Pictures under Applications show them.
Library scan happens when you disconnect reader from PC. In case of 83 books on internal memory this shouldn't take long.

Anyway, Reader definitely does scan for books (Books menu isn't gone right? And doesn't matter in which folder you put your book, it appears in Books menu, right?), the question is, if the process was optimized.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately 80 books isn't sufficient to know whether this issue is still present or not. We need someone to load 1000 books, and see how long it then takes after disconnecting the USB cable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I'd be happy if it didn't do it from being turned off and on again.

For me 400 books was more than sufficient to demonstrate the problem on my PRS-600.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
All I can say, in the end, is that the loading part is much faster on the PRS350 than on the PRS300, but I would see 1000 books still take a while (and don't turn on thumbnails view, or you might regret it hehe).
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
johnc
johnc began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader prs-505
thumbnails? I missed that being added at somepoint. but the library scan problem is my biggest headache on my current 505 if I accidentally eject the memory card(s). I could put all my ebooks on the memory card(s) but the generation of the new xml would never finish. I wish they would add a function to allow you to select a directory on the card(s) to index and display since I prefer to sort my ebooks by author directories anyway.
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #13
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately 80 books isn't sufficient to know whether this issue is still present or not. We need someone to load 1000 books, and see how long it then takes after disconnecting the USB cable.
And what of MP3 files on the 650?
Load a few thousand on the SD card and check the time.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
I would really like to know this too, since it's highly annoying on my 505.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Very good and interesting question.
400+ books should be enough to answer it.
Really like to know.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote