Notices

Old 11-12-2018, 12:27 AM   #1
intwtl
intwtl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo H2O Ver2
KOBO H20 and Calibre

Hi,

I have a Kobo Aura H20 Edition 2.

When I try to sync with Calibre it takes between 20 an d30 minutes to read what books are on the device.

Onboard storage is 5.2 GB of 6.7 available.

My old Sony reader had the same items on it and it took less than a minute to read what books are on the device.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
intwtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i get the same and i have to try to connect a couple of times before it recognises the ereader too
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by intwtl View Post
Hi,

I have a Kobo Aura H20 Edition 2.

When I try to sync with Calibre it takes between 20 an d30 minutes to read what books are on the device.

Onboard storage is 5.2 GB of 6.7 available.

My old Sony reader had the same items on it and it took less than a minute to read what books are on the device.
How many books are on the device? With 1.5GB used, I wouldn't expect that many. Less than 2000 books, probably less than 1000. And calibre should be able to fetch that number of books in less than a minute. It will be longer if the metadata.calibre file is missing or damaged, but still under 10 minutes. For the record, my Glo HD takes less than 2 minutes with nearly 5000 books. I have had reason to connect with the metadata.calibre, and that was still less than five minutes.

It will take longer if there are a lot of changes in the collections of series. I did change the collections management settings last night and the next connect on the Glo HD took about 8 minutes in the "Sending metadata to device" job. That was because it removed a lot of collections.

It is possible the issue is the database on the device. If it is corrupt, this can take longer. But, usually if it is bad enough to cause performance problems, it will raise an error when calibre is accessing it. If you have my Kobo Utilities plugin installed, you can check the database with it. That also has a compress option which will reorganise the database and can help performance.

The only other things I can think of is if something else is access the device at the same time. A virus/malware scanner would be the obvious thing. Or if the device was being mounted as a USB1 device instead of USB2. That would slow things down.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
intwtl

Kobo Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
How many books are on the device? With 1.5GB used, I wouldn't expect that many. Less than 2000 books, probably less than 1000. And calibre should be able to fetch that number of books in less than a minute. It will be longer if the metadata.calibre file is missing or damaged, but still under 10 minutes. For the record, my Glo HD takes less than 2 minutes with nearly 5000 books. I have had reason to connect with the metadata.calibre, and that was still less than five minutes.

It will take longer if there are a lot of changes in the collections of series. I did change the collections management settings last night and the next connect on the Glo HD took about 8 minutes in the "Sending metadata to device" job. That was because it removed a lot of collections.

It is possible the issue is the database on the device. If it is corrupt, this can take longer. But, usually if it is bad enough to cause performance problems, it will raise an error when calibre is accessing it. If you have my Kobo Utilities plugin installed, you can check the database with it. That also has a compress option which will reorganise the database and can help performance.

The only other things I can think of is if something else is access the device at the same time. A virus/malware scanner would be the obvious thing. Or if the device was being mounted as a USB1 device instead of USB2. That would slow things down.
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

What is your plugin and how can I get it ?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intwtl View Post
What is your plugin and how can I get it ?
The plugin is called "Kobo Utilties". The simplest way to install it is to go into the calibre preferences, go to the Plugin section and click "Get new plugins" button and install it from the list presented.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
intwtl

Quote:
The plugin is called "Kobo Utilties". The simplest way to install it is to go into the calibre preferences, go to the Plugin section and click "Get new plugins" button and install it from the list presented.
Thanks, I'll put it on and give it a try and let you know..
Old 11-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

who makes the plugin and is it safe as i clicked on it and it gave a warning saying plugins may contain malware?
Old 11-14-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
who makes the plugin and is it safe as i clicked on it and it gave a warning saying plugins may contain malware?
That's a calibre standard warning.

As to 'who makes it?' ==>> Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	167703

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I did say "my" Kobo Utilities plugin. And as BR said, that is a standard warning and there are similar warning from other software when installing it. It is potentially true. But, the plugins available through the plugin installer are all posted to threads here on MR. The source is contained in them for anyone to examine. I think that if any of the plugins contained malware it would have been discovered.

As with installing any software, you need to decide if the risk is worth it.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:37 AM   #10
bookaho!ic
Evangelist

thanks i would assume if anyone has had any issues they would have stated it?
Old 11-16-2018, 12:11 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
thanks i would assume if anyone has had any issues they would have stated it?
A lot of us are happy users of the plugin. Davidfor is a stand-up guy who donates his time to the Kobo community. [Disclosure - of lack of it - I have never met him and receive no kickbacks of any kind.]
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:28 AM   #12
bookaho!ic
Evangelist

Quote:
I did say "my" Kobo Utilities plugin. And as BR said, that is a standard warning and there are similar warning from other software when installing it. It is potentially true. But, the plugins available through the plugin installer are all posted to threads here on MR. The source is contained in them for anyone to examine. I think that if any of the plugins contained malware it would have been discovered.

As with installing any software, you need to decide if the risk is worth it.
sorry i misread the 'my'

have installed it and connected within 1 min