Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Wilkie Collins?

My dad suggested to me that I might enjoy Wilkie Collins. It seems there are a lot of books, on this forum and elsewhere. What is a good one to start with? What are your favourites?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I liked The Moonstone.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I read The Moonstone while I was in high school and enjoyed it very much. I can recommend it to you. I'd like to find time to read more of his books, but my TBR stack has become four stacks and they're just about tall enough to fall over.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
My dad suggested to me that I might enjoy Wilkie Collins. It seems there are a lot of books, on this forum and elsewhere. What is a good one to start with? What are your favourites?
I would also go with The Moonstone, which is an excellent novel, in my opinion.

Harry put this one together, and Patricia did a large number of other titles.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-06-2009 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Corrrected
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
The Woman in White

In addition to 'Moonstone', I would recommend 'The Woman in White'. Some books evoke a subtle emotion (something like a very subtle sorrow but not quite heart-wrenching one) that lasts long even after I finish them. 'The Woman in White' was one of them. On the top of my head, books that left me similar impression are
- Endless night / Agatha Christie (movie was pretty good as well)
- Solaris / Stanisław Lem (Book, not the movie!)
I know this recommendation is based on highly subjective experience. However, since the books are freely available, I will recommend them both.

Last edited by soilwork; 04-05-2009 at 09:27 PM.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thank you. This came up because we were talking about the Sherlock Holmes books and he said I should try Wilkie Collins. I will try both of those. I have a LOT of books TBR right now but I am happy to stockpile and collect them, the Sony Reader makes that pretty easy.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I would also go with The Moonstone, which is an excellent novel, in my opinion.

Patricia put together every one of these titles, and they look great.

Don
Actually I did "The Moonstone", Don . It is an excellent detective story.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:55 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Actually I did "The Moonstone", Don . It is an excellent detective story.

Ooops! Sorry, Harry. (I now corrected this on my original post.)

And it looks great!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Just to add my support for The Moonstone and also The Woman in White. He wrote dozens of full-length novels, but those two are easily his best known - and with good reason. They're both gripping yarns.

It's true that he's been compared with Conan Doyle, but these aren't the same kind of detective stories as Sherlock Holmes. A better comparison would be with Charles Dickens.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote