Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-28-2016, 04:52 AM   #16
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanningbear View Post

So far I am able to mirror my pc (window 10) to Onyx ereader by using Spashtop. But the contract rate on Onyx ereader is so poor and I can hardly read it. Maybe it is something wrong with my setting.
If it's just the screen refresh rate that's problematic, have you tried how it runs with A2 mode on? That would give you an idea of whether any lags or artifacts you are seeing are simply a result of the e-ink screen's limitations or indeed a connection speed error.

The vnc connection method I mentioned above didn't seem to have much of a lag apart from that of the screen itself, and I think I tried it via WiFi and USB network. Don't know how much work it is to setup avnc server on windows, but I wouldn't expect it to be very hard. Might be worth a try to see if it's any better than the apps you mentioned (don't know maybe they also use vnc under the hood).
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:49 AM   #17
Staphoent
Connoisseur
Staphoent began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
Just to comment on the original question, I've been using my t68 as a little monitor via a vnc viewer app - bvnc seems to be the most resource efficient one I've found so far. This way i can either connect to any other Linux computer (i guess win and osx have vnc servers as well), but also use a Linux chroot on the device itself, e.g. to type with your favorite editor (i like gedit). It's obviously a bit sluggish with its single core cpu, but typing actually works quite ok.
My main problem with that setup is actually key mapping, as I'd like to use a German qwertz layout, but bvnc doesn't seem to handle that well. Still trying to figure out workarounds, but if you're used to a standard qwerty layout anyway this shouldn't be a problem.
How did you manage to get t his to work via usb?

I am using a onyx boox c67ml and cannot get it to work via usb.

Regards
Staphoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #18
skobie78
Enthusiast
skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Onyx M92, Onyx Boox Max
I've just spotted a thread from an admin on the onyx forum about their r&d into using the Max as a monitor.

I can't understand the text or view the video

https://translate.googleusercontent....23994-1-1.html
skobie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:53 AM   #19
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphoent View Post
How did you manage to get t his to work via usb?

I am using a onyx boox c67ml and cannot get it to work via usb.

Regards
You can use instructions for "how to use a tablet as monitor for a raspberry pi" if you're using Linux. Here's one set of inductions that should work: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...p?f=36&t=18916
Essentially you don't necessarily need to set the static ip as in the first step there, although it probably makes it a bit easier to know what address to use later on for the vnc client on android to connect to the pc. But you can also find your ip address after you've connected the onyx via usb tethering by using "sudo ifconfig", which lists your connections.
Let me know if anything needs clarification.
I suppose there should be a way to find out the ip address of your pc in a usb tethering connection with windows, too, but I don't know how exactly. Probably something like right click on some icon in the taskbar.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #20
Staphoent
Connoisseur

Quote:
You can use instructions for "how to use a tablet as monitor for a raspberry pi" if you're using Linux. Here's one set of inductions that should work: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...p?f=36&t=18916
Essentially you don't necessarily need to set the static ip as in the first step there, although it probably makes it a bit easier to know what address to use later on for the vnc client on android to connect to the pc. But you can also find your ip address after you've connected the onyx via usb tethering by using "sudo ifconfig", which lists your connections.
I suppose there should be a way to find out the ip address of your pc in a usb tethering connection with windows, too, but I don't know how exactly. Probably something like right click on some icon in the taskbar.
How do i enable usb tethering on a onyx boox N96ML, cant find any advice in that regard anywhere
Advert
Old 09-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #21
Staphoent
Connoisseur

Quote:
I have managed to enable tethering on my N96ML (I had to disable usb debugging) so i now know the ip adress of my N96 and the ip adress of my mac which has real vnc server installed. However when i type the ip adress of my mac into my vnc viewer apps on my N96 (bvnc and real vnc viewer) it says 'could not connect'. Do you have any idea why this is?

Any help is appreciated

I dont want to use splastop or twomon as it is far too slow on the n96
Old 09-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #22
Staphoent
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphoent View Post
I have managed to enable tethering on my N96ML (I had to disable usb debugging) so i now know the ip adress of my N96 and the ip adress of my mac which has real vnc server installed. However when i type the ip adress of my mac into my vnc viewer apps on my N96 (bvnc and real vnc viewer) it says 'could not connect'. Do you have any idea why this is?

Any help is appreciated

I dont want to use splastop or twomon as it is far too slow on the n96
I finally got this to work and the functionality is excellent. Very impressed. It seems i needed to use the androids tethering i.p from the android viewer rather than the computers. Dotn really udnerstand why but it works.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:22 AM   #23
franzli
Addict

Glad you got it to work, just saw your posts now. And yes, it takes a bit of fiddling to figure out the right settings.
I imagine it should be quite useful on the 9.7 inch screen!
Old 09-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #24
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dEWN59WB2c
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:58 AM   #25
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
I found this interesting guide but I haven't tried it yet:
http://techenhanced-life.blogspot.it...ndows.html?m=1

It explains how to use an Android tablet as second USB monitor through VNC!
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #26
huelvy
huelvy began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 / Kobo Aura HD
I´m thinking about buy an Onyx Boox Max, but I have a pair of questions and I wonder if someone could answer them.

Because of my work, I spend lots of time reading and editing MS Office documents, and my eyes are suffering. I thought about adquire a Dasung Paperlike to use it as my PC display, but then I thought that the Onyx Boox Max could be more versatile, as it runs Android and can be used as an independent e-book (in fact, IT IS an e-book).

I think that it is possible to use "VNC viewer" (and its Windows client "RealVNC") or a similar Android app in the Boox Max and use it as PC display via wi-fi. The questions are:

1. Has someone tried it (Boox Max + wi-fi connection + Windows)?
2. If so, what about the display response? Is it too laggy or is it useable? My only goal is use it for MS Office in a Windows PC and preferably via wi-fi.
3. I have searched a video to watch the display response using VNC, but I haven´t found anyone. Could someone upload a video showing an Boox Max running a VNC app?

Please, understand me: it costs so much money and I want to be sure before spend it.

Thank you!
huelvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:16 AM   #27
franzli
Addict

As stated earlier in this thread (I think), I have occasionally used my T68+as a vnc monitor extension for Linux, albeit with a USB cable network. My impression was that the speed limitations were due to the eink tech rather than connection speed. I didn't use an office suite, but a text editor (gedit). Except for the small screen of the T68 I'd describe it as adequate for editing text, considering the limitations of the screen.

I think there were some videos of the N96 being used the easy you describe with Windows. I'd imagine the Max should work the same, so this could give you an idea - the links were somewhere here in the forum, possibly even this thread?
Old 09-21-2016, 06:18 AM   #28
franzli
Addict

Yes, actually one such video is on this page posted by user desk7.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #29
huelvy
huelvy began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 / Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Yes, actually one such video is on this page posted by user desk7.
Thank you for your answers. I knew that video, although it shows a M96 (because of that, I was asking for a Boox Max video).

If a Boox Max owner has tried to use it as a PC display, please, tell us your experience. Is it like the M96 video shows? Thanks.
huelvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:59 AM   #30
Hiradur
Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: K4NT, Boox M96
Honestly, for a productive setup, I don't think an epaper screen is the right choice at the moment From my experience the artifacts an epaper screen generates when the screen content changes (e.g. moving mouse cursor) can make the experience even more stressful for the eyes. I've since given up on trying to use an epaper screen as a monitor. The tech is too slow, requires too much fiddling and is too limited for a productive setup.

The only thing which would work well with an epaper screen is displaying static content. Content you want to read but don't interact with. But even then the switching between an LCD monitor and an epaper screen can be tiresome if their backlights don't match.

Maybe you should look for a different LCD monitor. I find that the panel and if the backlight is PWM controlled or not matter quite much for a comfortable experience. Another thing which could reduce eyestrain is to use a tool (e.g. f.lux or redshift) which sets the color temperature to the same temperature the sunlight has at a given point in time.
Hiradur is offline   Reply With Quote