Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-22-2021, 11:49 PM   #1
marst
Connoisseur
marst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma; Android tablet w/Mantano Reader
Note Air 2 firmware "update-ability"

I'm doing as much research as I can before buying a Note Air 2...

Reviews of Boox products sometimes caution that firmware updates might not be available automatically—that it depends on where you buy the device.

If they mean you might not be able to update the firmware at all on certain devices (depending on vendor), that'd definitely be a cause for concern.

But is the issue that firmware updates simply aren't pushed automatically to certain devices, depending on where they were purchased? If it's a matter only of manually selecting a "Check for updates..." option somewhere within Settings, that doesn't seem like any big deal. TIA...

Last edited by marst; 11-22-2021 at 11:53 PM.
marst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:28 AM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
You've touched on one of the confusing aspects of how Onyx does business. Let's see if I can make it slightly less confusing!

Devices that are intended for the US and EU markets can be purchased on the official site (boox.com), on Amazon and through other retailers. These get updates that are pushed automatically unless you choose to disable the automatic update feature.

There is another site, onyxboox.com, that sells devices in the US market. These devices are intended for the Russian market. They are usually somewhat stripped down in terms of hardware (less RAM and/or internal storage), have different names than their counterparts on boox.com and require different firmware. That firmware isn't always updated, or so I am told. Don't buy from onyxboox.com.

That said, in the past Onyx was less consistent at offering updates for any of their devices, but they are much better at that now and their customer service is more responsive than it was years ago.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #3
marst
Connoisseur
marst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma; Android tablet w/Mantano Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
You've touched on one of the confusing aspects of how Onyx does business. Let's see if I can make it slightly less confusing!
You did, and thanks for the reply. I'll steer clear of onyxboox dot com.
marst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware update, note air 2, updating