Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #931
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthursbedtime View Post
Where do you think the Greek philosophers got their ideas.
They went to the Jewish leaders and studied there, coming back with the concept of One God.
I get the impression religion is an overbearing subject but it is the foundation of philosophy. Our western world is based on Christian teachings, or someones interpretation of those teachings. So we messed up. It does not mean that the original message was wrong.
I disagree completely that religion is the foundation of philosophy.

Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language...

It has very little to do with religion per-se, but certainly is tangentially related.

As far as where the Greeks got their ideas, seems to me they simply looked around themselves and asked questions. Which is the real core of philosophy (and science).

Last edited by kennyc; 09-24-2010 at 11:10 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #932
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The pre-socratics were among the first to speculate about nature without reference to the gods.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #933
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
They went to the Jewish leaders and studied there, coming back with the concept of One God.
I get the impression religion is an overbearing subject but it is the foundation of philosophy. Our western world is based on Christian teachings, or someones interpretation of those teachings. So we messed up. It does not mean that the original message was wrong.
If this is going to become another "my religion is better than yours" thread, I will ask a mod to close it.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #934
mysweety
Connoisseur
mysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the rough

Device: Hanlin V3, PB360
I think the presocratics had plenty of more interesting sources than the Jewish leaders! For example the Egytians - wasn't it Herodotus who said something like "Compared to the Egyptians in mathematics the Greeks are like small children". There is also a question of the Persian magi. The question is whether the Upanishads and Vedas had an influence on Heraclitus - this is a contested subject.

The rig veda has an interesting hymn on a conscious, creator - see 10.129. Also Heraclitus repeats this theme - fragment DK 30.
mysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #935
Arthursbedtime
Enthusiast
Arthursbedtime doesn't litterArthursbedtime doesn't litter

Device: kobo
I will leave this discussion to others.
Life is full of mysteries and I would be the last one
to say that I got all the answers.
Arthursbedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #936
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Quote:
With regards to the emergence of monotheism, there may have been some influence from the east but I think the idea that Greek philosophers traveled to and studied in Judea is wishful thinking at best.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:55 AM   #937
Arthursbedtime
Enthusiast
Arthursbedtime doesn't litterArthursbedtime doesn't litter

Device: kobo
And Toronto shoppers don't go buying in Buffalo?
Arthursbedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #938
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweety View Post
Some time ago I was going through the book by West "Early Greek Philosophy and the Orient". He says that to understand Heraclitus it is more helpful to read "Brhadaranyaka Upanishad" than the other earlier presocratics. Well I have started on that path by downloading the commentary by Krishnamurti as a pdf and a very well commented French version from

http://www.les-108-upanishads.ch/brihadaranyaka.html.

This is easy to turn into an ebook using for example Sigil.

Was West correct - any opinions, thoughts?
I just had a quick look at your link, and at the Stanford page on Heraclitus. Like many ancient Greek philosophers, his work is only known through fragments, which makes interpretation difficult:

Quote:
He has been variously judged by ancient and modern commentators to be a material monist or a process philosopher; a scientific cosmologist, a metaphysician, or a mainly religious thinker; an empiricist, a rationalist, or a mystic; a conventional thinker or a revolutionary; a developer of logic or one who denied the law of non-contradiction; the first genuine philosopher or an anti-intellectual obscurantist.
It seems to me that there may be similarities between the two texts. They do seem to have both a tendency to what I see as a mystic frame of mind, which I'm afraid doesn't interest me much personally, so I'm not really inclined to research this. Have you progressed in your reading since your post? Do you think West is right?
Old 10-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #939
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Quote:
And Toronto shoppers don't go buying in Buffalo?
Wishful thinking was bad enough, but wishful thinking supported by disanalogical reasoning is just, well, offensive.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #940
mysweety
Connoisseur
mysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the rough

Device: Hanlin V3, PB360
Hi FlorenceArt

Well of course one of the interesting things about H. is that we only possess fragments but they are very extensive. There has been much work done on interpretation - the best I have seen is by Conche.

Yes I have made some headway and believe that the fragments are a comment on the Brhadaranyaka Upanishad. The thrust of the two works is very similar and Heraclitus illuminates the basic non-dual thrust of the upanishad.

Incidentally there is nothing "mystic" about either of these works - H. can not be interpreted in this vain.

I have now found other texts for the Upanishad which are totally non-dualist. Unfortunately not available in ebook format. There is a translation by Swami Madhavananda which includes a commentary by Sankaracarya published by Advaita at a very reasonable price.

Best regards
mysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #941
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What's new 'round here?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #942
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

I've been wanting to post about Seneca for weeks, but somehow never get around to it. I'm still reading the Letters to Lucilius. Maybe some day I'll find the time
Old 11-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #943
kennyc

We're waiting.......
Old 11-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #944
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've been looking for an ebook edition of Either/Or, but I've only found Amazon not available to the USA. Sigh. Doesn't even matter that I have a Nook.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #945
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've been looking for an ebook edition of Either/Or, but I've only found Amazon not available to the USA. Sigh. Doesn't even matter that I have a Nook.
You could try Diesel on this link. It is "temporarily unavailable" but might be worth contacting them to see when they are able to sell it to you.

It might also be available in some dark and dangerous places that we don't mention.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
philosophy, plato