Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
eosrose
Enthusiast
eosrose began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
How do I zip my files into an ePub?

I've followed tutorials to create all the files I need for my ePub, but I'm uncertain of how to zip the files to create the ePub. I'm running Windows Vista and the tutorials I've been finding seem to be more Mac friendly or refer me to Info-Zip, which doesn't seem to want to work on my computer. People are also talking about using command line, but I don't know the first thing about that.

Would someone give me How To Zip Files into ePub for Dummies?
eosrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Check with the Calibre folks. All I know for sure is I downloaded a set of book files from Gutenberg with the correct directory structure. I imported the book into Calibre and asked for an EPub conversion. I was somewhat surprised when it worked, and the output looked a heck of a lot better that the same book on Gutenberg. This is the book on knot tying; the Gutenberg EPub had none of the illustrations. After Calibre conversion, mine has all the illustrations - and the entire book looks great.

Not much point to a book on knots without pictures...

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
First zip the mimetype file and name the result book.zip. Then add all the other files and directories to book.zip. Then rename book.zip to book.epub or what ever.
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:41 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
First make sure you have a filestructure that fits for your need. I usually use the OEBPS structure (see jedisaber for more details).

Get Info-zip (also mentioned in the link above). After you're book is complete, first zip the mimetype into a zip file uncompressed. After that, add the rest of the files to the zip.

I do not know the command options by heart, will try to look them up tonight.

I also remember reading that just zip everything up and drop it in Calibre will take care of it also. Could try that.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:53 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
There was a file posted, I think in the ePub forum, called TEMP.ZIP which I think is a very good start. It contains just the mimetype file. If you can't find it I can email it to you.

What I did was
1 Rename the TEMP.ZIP file to bookname.epub [where bookname is whatever you want to call your epub]
2 Right click on bookname.epub and open with Winzip - this will show just the mimetype files
3 Drag whatever files you want into the Winzip window - including for example the META-INF and OEBPS folders you can get from jedisaber
4 Double click on the OEBPS folder
5 Delete whatever files you don't want and drag in the files you do want.
6 Right click on the content.opf and toc.ncx files and open them with an HTML or text editor, and edit them as required.
7 Tell Winzip to update or add the files
8 Close Winzip
9 Double click on your epub file and see if it will run with your desktop ADE
10 Check the epub with ePubCheck, and edit the content.opf and toc.ncx as required.

I can send you a Template.epub file if you wish; just remove my HTML and CSS files and replace them with your own, and edit the content.opf and toc.ncx appropriately.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
eosrose
Enthusiast
eosrose began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks, guys! I think I've figured it out. :
eosrose is offline   Reply With Quote