Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
jerrywojo
Connoisseur
jerrywojo began at the beginning.

Jetbook 0.35 update? vaporware?

Just wondering can anyone verify that a firmware upgrade for the original Jetbook is in development? Or is it vaporware? Can't really understand the delay. Is it a one man dev team? Is this a full time venture?
jerrywojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
Not that they've ever said anything to confirm this, but I suspect they aren't actually doing the firmware in house, the original OEM most likely is. They've also stated that they want to get the JBL firmware finished and stable, then backport the DRM stuff from there to the regular JB.

As far as the updates go, if it's just for DRM, it can wait as far as I'm concerned (any sites I buy from I can remove the DRM and port into a format that I can use without any restrictions). If they are adding features/formats other than DRM specific stuff, it'd be nice to have. At one point I was checking their ftp sites every day (multiple times, etc), but at this point I spend that energy just reading books on it, lol.
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
It's totally frustrating. I hope they could quickly fix the spacing between lines for epub. It's just too wide at the mo. There's a walkaround for most other problems but not this one.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
jerrywojo
Connoisseur
jerrywojo began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001 View Post
As far as the updates go, if it's just for DRM, it can wait as far as I'm concerned (any sites I buy from I can remove the DRM and port into a format that I can use without any restrictions). If they are adding features/formats other than DRM specific stuff, it'd be nice to have. At one point I was checking their ftp sites every day (multiple times, etc), but at this point I spend that energy just reading books on it, lol.
Yea I just installed the tools required to remove DRM and it works well.

Have doubts for any continuing support of the original Jetbook. I'm thinking ECTACO is feeling the crush from the big 3 and are having a tough time justifying the costs. Plus the dead web page is a good indicator. Page hasn't been updated since October 2009!
jerrywojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
GameMisconduct
GameMisconduct began at the beginning.

Device: ECTACO Jetbook
DRM support would be nice, but removing he DRM isn't too difficult. It'd be nice to see an update, but really I haven't read this much since college. I feel my jetbook was money well spent.
GameMisconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
As far as tech support is concerned, the regular JB isn't a dead product. They have stated several times they are wanting to get all the kinks worked out of the JBL (since people who purchased that need to have the DRM working, since that is what it was billed as having working (and it does for the most part). Once that is finished they've said they will be moving those fixes over to the regular JB. It takes time for these things to happen, and it's unrealistic for people to expect a release for the regular JB right after the last JBL release (not specificaly directed at anyone).

I've been extremely happy with my regular JB, and the wife has been with her JBL. The added bonus of free cases for both of them was also great, but I didn't require it to be happy with my purchases, was a nice couple of bonuses...
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I don't quite understand why they couldn't update jBl and jB regular at the same time. There really isn't a lot of differences between the hardware. Yeah, I have to agree with jerrywojo. They do give the impression that the development 'team' is a one-man band.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote