Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Longest ebook you have read and enjoyed

As part of my occasional "read something totally different" to my usual Thriller/Adventure interspersed with SciFi/Fantasy reading I decided to read the recent Random House historical fiction freebie The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss which I found very enjoyable(Big Thanks to Random House for providing this for free as I probably wouldn't have bought it at its regular $18.20 price) but its also the longest book I have read so far at 1648 Sony reader pages and took 2 weeks to read. I would normally have read 2-3 ebooks in that time. Anyone read longer ones ?
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Patrick O'Brian's wonderful 20-book (plus one unfinished) Aubrey-Maturin series is often referred to as one giant novel. It's a historical series, set in the Royal Navy of the Napoleanic era.

Unfortunately it's not yet available as a legal eBook.

Many of the "classics" which I enjoy are, of course extremely long (they were typically originally published as weekly or monthly magazine serials, and subsequently as multiple volumes in book form). Something like "Bleak House" is extremely long, but a wonderful story.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Patrick O'Brian's wonderful 20-book (plus one unfinished) Aubrey-Maturin series is often referred to as one giant novel. It's a historical series, set in the Royal Navy of the Napoleanic era.

Unfortunately it's not yet available as a legal eBook.

Many of the "classics" which I enjoy are, of course extremely long (they were typically originally published as weekly or monthly magazine serials, and subsequently as multiple volumes in book form). Something like "Bleak House" is extremely long, but a wonderful story.
Karl May's serial novel "Das Waldröschen" has 4.600 pages.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
The Wheel of Time, I'm still only on book one, but many, many more to go...
I hated Bleak House!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've read and enjoyed all of Proust; also all of Balzac's La comedie humaine cycle (52 volumes in the Philadelphia translation).
And I quite liked Anthony Powell's 12-volume series, The Dance to the Musoc of Time.

In fact, I really like to lose myself in a long novel, or long series.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
finniusfrog
finniusfrog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook 3
You could try Peter F Hamiltons "Nightdawn triology" at over 4,500 pages.
finniusfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
So far, my longest is moby dick.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I read Stephen King's "The Stand" (the 'complete and uncut edition') - that was pretty hefty.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
The Wheel of Time, I'm still only on book one, but many, many more to go...
I hated Bleak House!
I read about 4 of the Wheel of Time pbooks but they got a bit repetitive so I didn't go any further but another friend who has read the lot says they do change a bit after about book 7 or so.
I have World Without End on my reader waiting to be read and I think that is pretty long as well.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I checked a 6 book ebundle out of the library. I have 3 weeks to read the 6 Cedar Cove books by Debbie Macomber. It has 25000 locations (The Stand is 24000). This shouldn't be hard - I skip parts of romance books that I find boring. Can't skip any King!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Probably the Sherlock Holmes Omnibus... not sure if you want to call that one "book".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #12
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
Anathem by Neal Stephenson. In hardback it is 900+ pages. On my 505 at medium font size it was 2145 pages.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:34 AM   #13
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Yes - that was my longest book too - Hamiltons "Nightdawn Triology"
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:40 AM   #14
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

I am assuming you mean single book not series. Probably War and Peace was the longest I forget the total number of pages. I do not remember the exact number of pages but I recall it was over 8600 pages on my PDA.

I started both the Seven Pillars of Wisdom and Homer's Iliad plus also Homer's Odyssey but never managed to finish any of the three. For like the 20th time in my life.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #15
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Middlemarch by George Eliot.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote