Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
JimPhelps
JimPhelps began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook HD+, LG G4
Kindle won't sync and I'm stumped

Hi folks. For Xmas, I bought my mom a Fire tablet. She loves it, etc etc. She had an older kindle, I think its a 5th gen version. Its one with the D-pad in the center with the 4 buttons on either side and has page turn buttons.

Back when there was the "update or never connect to the internet" scare with the kindle devices I made sure it was updated for her and could connect. But, since she's had her tablet, she's bought several books. But for some reason, her old E-ink Kindle won't sync and find the new books and download them to the older kindle.

She had gotten a message saying there was a problem with her 1-click order setting on the old kindle because she got the first book she bought with the tablet on the ink one. But since then, I cannot get the other books DLed for her. She's got over 1000 MB left in storage, so I figured that can't be the problem.

I've followed the link in the message on the kindle itself thinking that perhaps when she got her Amazon card there was just an account issue. But when I get the page, it shows her books (new ones too) but after a couple minutes, the screen will blank out. Sometimes it loads about 9/10 of the status bar and then blanks out and returns me to the login page.

So I log back in and then it will show me a list of the books she's bought and then blanked out, just the square with the mag glass to zoom in parts of the page.

Is this a "too old Kindle software being unable to show a modern website" problem, a "I think your account is messed up--call Amazon" problem, or "this is so common, just trade in that old hunk of junk" problem?
JimPhelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I would call Amazon.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Can she send them to the Kindle from 'Manage Your Content and Devices'? Not on the Kindle (that will drive you nuts) but with a normal web browser?

Also I would try de-registering and re-registering. And if that doesn't work, consider factory reset (and re-registering)

There's no reason it shouldn't work, it has nothing to do with 1 click settings or credit card.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
JimPhelps
JimPhelps began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook HD+, LG G4
That's what I didn't do! It worked! Oh, thanks Tomsem. I completely forgot you could do that thru the website...like an idiot I was only trying to do it from the kindle itself and didn't even think about that way. Thanks a lot! I was about ready to throw in the towel on this.
JimPhelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
For some silly reason Amazon decided a few months ago... that unless you pick the ereader you want the book to DL on you have to go to manage my kindle to send the book to your other devices. If you don't have a PC you cant read but on the single device.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
For some silly reason Amazon decided a few months ago... that unless you pick the ereader you want the book to DL on you have to go to manage my kindle to send the book to your other devices. If you don't have a PC you cant read but on the single device.
Can you not download your book from the cloud via the device (My Library/All)?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
Dusky Rose
Connoisseur
Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Ipad mini retina, Kindle Voyage and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Can you not download your book from the cloud via the device (My Library/All)?
AFAIK, this hasn't changed. You could always download your Amazon books from what ever device you're on as long a you have a connection.

And I don't think you've ever been able to automatically download all your books to -all- your devices. There's always been one 'default' device you download to.

I think it's just recently that you could chose more than one device in the Manager to bulk send your ebooks to. I'm pretty sure that before you had to do it one book at a time.
Dusky Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What?
I use Manage My Kindle all the time and I am not on a PC. I can do it from my fire, I can do it from my galaxy, I can do it from my cheap tablet.
Oh and it would be a pain but I can also do it from my smartphone.
If I had wanted to take the time, I also could have done it from the browser on my kindle.
If I was so inclined I could do it from my husband's flip phone since it also has a browser.
So no, one is not stuck reading on one device.
Also, if you have a telephone, you can contact Amazon and they will push the book to another device.
There are many ways not just through a PC.
Not positive but I think if I connected a wire I could use my ps3. I know I could use my blu-ray player. Also some TV's could do it.
I found some things that couldn't do it. My dish receiver and my printer.

So see you do not need a pc. Though on the phone, I did have to scroll down and click Amazon full site to get the complete my account menu.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Well when I Buy an ebook it wont DL to Any device until I pick. When I 1st got my K3 you buy a e-book it Dl load to ALL apps & readers & Tablets. Then Amazon decided No just going to DL to 1 device BUT you can see the covers/titles on ALL devices & a Simple Tap DL the ebook to that device also. Now you get the book on the device you pick BUT you cant see the Cover or title UNLESS you go to PC Go to Manage my books & devices & find the book & Tell where you want it to go! sheesh 1/2 the time you have to do the steps Several times! I understand Why they did this But its still a PAIN.
BTW Good for you Cindy But Mine doesn't work that way! I Cant go into my Fire 10 & DL a e-book TO the Fire 10. I Cant go to my PW3 & DL a e-book to it & I cant DL a e-book to my Amazon Phone! For each I Have to go to my PC & jump thru hoops. I Cant buy a ebook & Thru the Phone to READ on the phone I Still have to go to my PC to get the Dang book delivered to the device I just purchased it from!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
Dusky Rose
Connoisseur
Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
BTW Good for you Cindy But Mine doesn't work that way! I Cant go into my Fire 10 & DL a e-book TO the Fire 10. I Cant go to my PW3 & DL a e-book to it & I cant DL a e-book to my Amazon Phone! For each I Have to go to my PC & jump thru hoops. I Cant buy a ebook & Thru the Phone to READ on the phone I Still have to go to my PC to get the Dang book delivered to the device I just purchased it from!
Then you're doing something wrong, have your device too full for more downloads, or have the parental setting turned on. (In that case, it restricts your access to the store, and maybe your library.)

All the kindle devices are made so you can download the books to the device while you're on them as long as they have connections to the internet.

If you're having to chose a location to download an ebook each time you buy one, then you need to go into Manager and select a 'default' device. That's the device, (including Kindle4PC) that it will automatically send the ebook to.

All the other devices have to either be selected in the manager, or downloaded to each device on it's own.

Nothing has changed about that. The only new thing I've seen lately is the ability to download one ebook to several devices at once.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Well when I Buy an ebook it wont DL to Any device until I pick. When I 1st got my K3 you buy a e-book it Dl load to ALL apps & readers & Tablets. Then Amazon decided No just going to DL to 1 device BUT you can see the covers/titles on ALL devices & a Simple Tap DL the ebook to that device also. Now you get the book on the device you pick BUT you cant see the Cover or title UNLESS you go to PC Go to Manage my books & devices & find the book & Tell where you want it to go! sheesh 1/2 the time you have to do the steps Several times! I understand Why they did this But its still a PAIN.
You are telling me that you cannot click on the web/browser, type in amazon.com, scroll down, click Amazon full site, click my account, scroll down, click on manage my content.
Let me see something on my fire since I just bought a book yesterday.
And since 2011, I have never seen the ability to send to more than one device at a time when you originally buy the book.
I downloaded one to my K4 just the other day by using just the search engine.
My fire is being really particular today, but it is getting old so I will forgive it.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 05-26-2016 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Sorry for the unfinished sentence.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
And since 2011, I have never seen the ability to send to more than one device at a time.
Sure you can. "Manage Content and Devices" from the Amazon website, and select the "Deliver" item alongside a book. You get a drop down list of all your registered devices with a checkbox alongside each one. Check as many as you want, and it'll be delivered to all of them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sure you can. "Manage Content and Devices" from the Amazon website, and select the "Deliver" item alongside a book. You get a drop down list of all your registered devices with a checkbox alongside each one. Check as many as you want, and it'll be delivered to all of them.
Let me finish my sentence on that one. Great catch HarryT.

Oh and the really cool thing now is you can also check up to 10 books.

One caveat on your statement, some books only have 6 licenses, so if you have more than 6 devices you will have to choose.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 05-26-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #14
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Hm. Speculative possibility: what happens if you throw away / deregister a Kindle (so it no longer appears on manageyourkindle) and it was already set as the default? Do you end up with *no* default until you pick one, and your externally-purchased books just sit in your library? If so, maybe that's what happened to Katie...
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #15
Dusky Rose
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Hm. Speculative possibility: what happens if you throw away / deregister a Kindle (so it no longer appears on manageyourkindle) and it was already set as the default? Do you end up with *no* default until you pick one, and your externally-purchased books just sit in your library? If so, maybe that's what happened to Katie...
Could be.

I've got my default set permanently to Kindle4pc, but once in a great while I'll find it's forgotten that and I have no default device.

I think it has just happened when they've made a change/updated something. I think I remember it only happening about three times in the past.