Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-21-2014, 03:33 AM   #1
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Cannot get Analog and Asimov's anymore...

Hi everyone,

Well, things are getting dire for the epub ereader owners. A few years back, Fantasy and Science Fiction decided to go Amazon exclusive, and I haven't been able to get a subscription since. Now, with the closing of the Sony store US, I'm starting to have similar problems with Analog and Asimov's.

Now, supposedly, Analog can be found on Kobo, although I haven't been able to find it either through the website or through the Mac Kobo app. I hope I will be able to get it through the reader software once the update goes through on my PRS T1, but I'm not holding my breath. As for Asimov's, it's nowhere to be found on Kobo.

So basically, if I want to read those mags on an bonafide ereader and not an iPad, the choices left are exactly one: Amazon's Kindle.

I'm having a real problem with this state of affairs. I am not an anti-Amazon activist, at least not yet, but this is grating. I don't care if Amazon is good or bad for publishing as a whole, but I certainly start feeling that it is not good FOR ME.

If anyone has found a way to purchase those mags in a way where I can still get them on Calibre, I will be thankful for the info.

Cheers,

Alfy.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:43 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Why can't you get them on calibre? Amazon DRM is "supported" by The Tools.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2014, 03:47 AM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I'm subscribed to Asimov's via Nook's Android app, and they have Analog as well.

They're actually delivered as ePub without DRM, so can simply be loaded into Calibre.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:53 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I can find it on the Kobo site, however it appears to be compatible only with their iOS and Android apps which likely means a format other than ePub....
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ema...ion-and-fact-5
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ema...ence-fiction-5

No idea if the version B&N sells is ePub either...
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/anal...=2940000281574
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/asim...=2940000281604

EDIT: I see Graham says the B&N version is ePub, so that might be a solution for you.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:59 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
B&N, to the best of my knowledge, sell no format other than ePub. What other format did you have in mind?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2014, 04:04 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
B&N, to the best of my knowledge, sell no format other than ePub. What other format did you have in mind?
AFAIK they use some other format for some of their Magazines.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:44 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
AFAIK they use some other format for some of their Magazines.
Thanks - I didn't know that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Why can't you get them on calibre? Amazon DRM is "supported" by The Tools.
Because these magazines can only be delivered on Kindles, iOS and Android apps. You cannot get the files onto the PC or Mac apps, and there is currently no way to transfer them from tablets and Alf them.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #9
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I can find it on the Kobo site, however it appears to be compatible only with their iOS and Android apps which likely means a format other than ePub....
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ema...ion-and-fact-5
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ema...ence-fiction-5

No idea if the version B&N sells is ePub either...
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/anal...=2940000281574
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/asim...=2940000281604

EDIT: I see Graham says the B&N version is ePub, so that might be a solution for you.
Thanks for the info! And it seems B&N lets you get the magazines on your PC and Mac app, so that might be the solution! Still, if that goes away, I think there will be nothing left...

EDIT: nope, does not work. Unlike the Sony and Kobo stores, I cannot use my French credit card with an American address at B&N, and the product is only available in the US. I'm a sad, sad panda.

And not a little bit mad. There remains one last, easy solution to get my beloved magazines, that will take take me 30 seconds of searching the net and will not cost me a dime. What kind of a completely idiotic world is this, where one is unable to actually spend money on a product he likes and wants to support? Argh, this is just so completely, utterly dumb...

Last edited by Alfy; 03-21-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nook has several non-epub formats they use.
Magazines and some rich-content/fixed format ebooks tend to be Nook tablet-only. Kids' books, for example, required a tablet or a special app:
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...PC/td-p/727825
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
Thanks for the info! And it seems B&N lets you get the magazines on your PC and Mac app, so that might be the solution! Still, if that goes away, I think there will be nothing left...

EDIT: nope, does not work. Unlike the Sony and Kobo stores, I cannot use my French credit card with an American address at B&N, and the product is only available in the US. I'm a sad, sad panda.

And not a little bit mad. There remains one last, easy solution to get my beloved magazines, that will take take me 30 seconds of searching the net and will not cost me a dime. What kind of a completely idiotic world is this, where one is unable to actually spend money on a product he likes and wants to support? Argh, this is just so completely, utterly dumb...
For B&N you also need to use an US VPN. Use an US address for both the shipping and billing address of your B&N account, and your French credit card will work fine.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't know why Analog doesn't just sell issues from their own web site. It would seem to be easier.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
Because these magazines can only be delivered on Kindles, iOS and Android apps. You cannot get the files onto the PC or Mac apps, and there is currently no way to transfer them from tablets and Alf them.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #14
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I have tried contacting the publishers in the past about the limited availability of Asimov's, but never got a reply. I currently get it via Nook for PC (I am in the UK). Can't remember how I originally subscribed.

By the way, the epub formatting is terrible, in my opinion: stories are displayed in two columns for a start. Plus all the novellas are grouped together, then all the novelletes, then all the shorts, then all the poems, and finally all the editorials. So reading from front to back starts as a very heavy meal that eventually finishes off in a rush towards the end. I can't understand the reasoning behind this.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #15
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
For B&N you also need to use an US VPN. Use an US address for both the shipping and billing address of your B&N account, and your French credit card will work fine.
Thanks for that, I will try with the VPN tomorrow. The things we will do to get the books we will read...