Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #241
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sounds as if you are getting the results I expected. You can adjust the Kobo's margin but the margins set in the epub are still in effect so Toast-wide has wider margins than Toast-narrow at the same margin slider settings.

On my Glo measuring from the left edge of the screen to the H in "Highly flammable.", I got the following results.

Margin slider fully to the left:
Toast-narrow has a 2mm margin
Toast-wide has a 17mm margin

Margin slider fully to the right:
Toast-narrow has a 16mm margin
Toast-wide has a 31mm wide margin

This is using the font size my tired old eyes find comfortable. At the lowest font size settings, the margins on Toast-wide go from 6mm to 20mm which is about the same 14mm change.

The bug in 2.3.1 that I found annoying was the once in a while switch to the smallest font size when paging to a new chapter which seems be one of those bugs that hit only a few people. 2.3.2 hasn't shown that behaviour as yet. There are still some nits such as the TOC issues but overall, I'm quite happy with my Glo.

Regards,
David
I was misunderstanding the issue, due to not being able to change margins at all in 2.1.5

Luckily I have very few books with this problem.

I had the small fonts issue with 2.1.5, but it seems to be gone in 2.3.1 and I am unaware of the TOC issue.

My biggest issue is touch screen problems and even that seems marginally better with 2.3.1

Anyway thanks for the lesson, I enjoyed it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #242
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I was misunderstanding the issue, due to not being able to change margins at all in 2.1.5

Luckily I have very few books with this problem.

I had the small fonts issue with 2.1.5, but it seems to be gone in 2.3.1 and I am unaware of the TOC issue.

My biggest issue is touch screen problems and even that seems marginally better with 2.3.1

Anyway thanks for the lesson, I enjoyed it.

Helen
Thanks for the kind words. I do feel that Kobo has made considerable improvements in their firmware since I purchased my first Kobo (the original non-WiFi version) and I'm hoping they continue that trend.

The only touch screen issue I've noticed is that I still occasionally get a two page turn when I think I only tapped the screen once.

The easiest way to see the TOC issue is to read halfway through a book and then look at the TOC -- the checkmark for the current chapter will still be on the first entry. This doesn't bother me that much since when reading fiction, I generally start at the first chapter and just read straight through. For my reference materials, it can be a problem but I find myself using an iPad for those since the ones I use come in a mix of PDF and epub with lots of diagrams that are just easier to see on a larger screen.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #243
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. I do feel that Kobo has made considerable improvements in their firmware since I purchased my first Kobo (the original non-WiFi version) and I'm hoping they continue that trend.

The only touch screen issue I've noticed is that I still occasionally get a two page turn when I think I only tapped the screen once.

The easiest way to see the TOC issue is to read halfway through a book and then look at the TOC -- the checkmark for the current chapter will still be on the first entry. This doesn't bother me that much since when reading fiction, I generally start at the first chapter and just read straight through. For my reference materials, it can be a problem but I find myself using an iPad for those since the ones I use come in a mix of PDF and epub with lots of diagrams that are just easier to see on a larger screen.

Regards,
David
Ahh. I do have the TOC bug. Never even tried the TOC before. Can't say I care although I can understand it's importance for some.

My touch screen issues are
(I page forward with my thumb in lower right corner except when I am eating greasy food while reading, and then will use stylus)

Double/triple page turns
Pages back instead of forward
hard to hit little arrows on scrolling through collections slidebar , and will often go to the first page when I hit the slidebar near the last page, even when dragging little circle.

Maybe I am tapping too near the bezel, but minor annoyances only. My Kobo Mini is still my favorite ereader. Will no doubt buy a Glo soon

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #244
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Yes, that is still there, very occasionally.

Also, I have noticed a lag in response, sometimes, if you turn BACK one page then forward again - probably to do with caching.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #245
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Ahh. I do have the TOC bug. Never even tried the TOC before. Can't say I care although I can understand it's importance for some.
I first saw it because it affects navigation. If you bring up the navigation bar, and press one of the double arrows, you don't go to the chapter you expect to. Most of the time, that doesn't matter, but when I hit it, I was reading a book where I kept wanting to go back and check some things mentioned earlier. The other time I use it is when I am looking for a place to stop reading. It is an easy way to see how many pages are left in the current chapter.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #246
clauclauclaudia
clauclauclaudia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
orphaned words vanishing?

Hi, I'm totally new to the forums--please excuse errors of ignorance.

I got a Kobo Mini during the recent sale and it's updated to 2.3.1. I've seen bugs that others have mentioned here, but nowhere on the web have I found mention of the one I find the most annoying. (Perhaps widow/orphan protection prevents people from encountering it. These are not published e-books I'm reading.)

Short version: When the last line of a paragraph is alone at the top of the screen, and the last word is hyphenated, the latter part of the word just fails to display at all.

Longer version: I took .txt files (they had some annoying "smart punctuation" characters but I doubt that's relevant) and converted them in Calibre 0.9.11 to ePub. I don't believe I changed any conversion settings from the default except the ineffective "unsmarten" checkbox [and I assume that's on account of the file being .txt and not being expected to have smart quotes and such].

I then got the display issue above--final partial words of paragraphs going missing. I checked the txt and ePub files and the words are there complete and unhyphenated; this is definitely a display or hyphenation algorithm issue.

Thoughts? corroboration? cookies?
clauclauclaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #247
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Thumbs up

Some more interesting behaviours...

Pressing anywhere to the right of a checkbox will toggle the checkbox. Normally the checkboxes are on the right, so this isn't really noticeable, except for the Menu short menu where the target area for the WiFi is most of the width of the screen.

Also, if you play Sudoku on the Glo, it changes the settings value for the Light Indicator to Solid.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #248
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by clauclauclaudia View Post

Short version: When the last line of a paragraph is alone at the top of the screen, and the last word is hyphenated, the latter part of the word just fails to display at all.
I've seen this and have supplied ePubs that demonstrate this problem; no change though.

The one thing I found that could make a difference was changing the font and/or size of font being used.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #249
ayram88
ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo touch
How come while restarting after the update my kobo touch blocked and won't work?
The displays always shows the ereader picture and the 'restarting' words in all the ereader languages.
I tried to make it work with hard reset, factory reset... but nothing happens
I downloaded the file from this forum.
ayram88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #250
clauclauclaudia
clauclauclaudia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've seen this and have supplied ePubs that demonstrate this problem; no change though.

The one thing I found that could make a difference was changing the font and/or size of font being used.
Thanks, PeterT! Do you know, is this a new-ish bug or something of long standing?

Tweaking the font fixes a particular instance (so I can see the end of the word in question) but generates others as the change in line length subjects different words to hyphenation.

The Mini doesn't do anything so computer-like as screenshots, right? I assume I'd need to photograph the phenomenon.
clauclauclaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #251
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayram88 View Post
How come while restarting after the update my kobo touch blocked and won't work?
The displays always shows the ereader picture and the 'restarting' words in all the ereader languages.
I tried to make it work with hard reset, factory reset... but nothing happens
I downloaded the file from this forum.
It sounds as though you copied over the firmware file for the Glo rather than the touch. If that is the case, there might be no recvoery for you. As far as I know, the Touch does not have an internal memory card you can remove to fix.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #252
ayram88
ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
It sounds as though you copied over the firmware file for the Glo rather than the touch. If that is the case, there might be no recvoery for you. As far as I know, the Touch does not have an internal memory card you can remove to fix.
unless who wrote the post with link has mistaken, I have downloaded the Touch version
ayram88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #253
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by clauclauclaudia View Post
Thanks, PeterT! Do you know, is this a new-ish bug or something of long standing?
I know I first came across it back in late September / early October and reported it on the beta mailing list then.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #254
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
As far as I know, the Touch does not have an internal memory card you can remove to fix.
At least some do.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #255
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Also, if you play Sudoku on the Glo, it changes the settings value for the Light Indicator to Solid.
Indeed, I noticed this too.

Also, I think that the Sudoku difficulty setting doesn't properly change when you select a new difficulty with a new game. It seems like the most difficult level played stays: I can't play a 'simple' or 'easy' game now that I've played a 'medium' level. Even 'simple' now takes me hours (while I finished an 'easy' quite quickly before). Restarting the device didn't work (in fact, I think that was when the light indicator changed to solid).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote