Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Waterstones screensaver?

I got my Paperwhite from Waterstones on 26th October. I updated to 5.3.0 a few days ago. Since the update, my screensaver looks like an advert for Waterstones

Anyone else notice this?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Replied to you on the other thread, but I'll say it again here. Since they have joined with Amazon, you'll be seeing Waterstones screensavers according to this article:

http://paidcontent.org/2012/09/12/wa...he-bear-traps/

It states:

At yesterday’s IPG event, Daunt revealed a few more details about Waterstones’ Amazon partnership. ”Waterstones-specific Kindle screensavers, bestseller lists and a Read For Free offer are among the plans,” The Bookseller reports.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 11-10-2012 at 02:53 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I hope we are talking about the so-called Special Offer sleep screens. If they are using ads on non-SO units disguised as sleep screens then Amazon has stepped way over the boundary.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
If all the kindles in the UK are being subjected to this waterstones screensaver then I will accept it, however if it is just those bought from waterstones I shall complain because we all paid the same price regardless of where we bought our Kindles from.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 11-10-2012 at 04:37 PM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I hope we are talking about the so-called Special Offer sleep screens. If they are using ads on non-SO units disguised as sleep screens then Amazon has stepped way over the boundary.
They are not the special offers versions. In the UK there isn't a cheaper SO version.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Wow! Okay, then Amazon and Waterstones definitely crossed the line here with a forced ad, unless of course it was sold in a similar fashion to the SO units in the USA where Amazon states very clearly that they will have ads in exchange for costing less.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Nope,I paid full retail price for it in Waterstones.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Just read a post related to the Kobo sold in France by FNAC and how using the reset to factory defaults removes the FNAC branding from it. I wonder if that would work for these Kindle's sold by Waterstones?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Try a factory reset, then turning on airplane mode *without* registering the device, then flashing the official 5.3.1 update.

That *should* revert the wallpapers to stock.

*However*, the Paperwhite has an explicit command that can download new wallpapers OTA (much like the SO ads), so if the Waterstone wallpapers come back after you enable Wifi, then you'll know that Amazon is actively pushing them to your device. I which case I agree with jswinden - that is definitely crossing a line and is unacceptable, and if I were you I would complain to Amazon and ask them to remove those ads... or just return the device.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote