Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #16
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Who'll be attending from MR?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #17
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
I think it depends on what's Sony after this time. I cannot see what would they put into the PRS-505 firmware update. Unless they added some new functionality and some fixes to EPUB reader, what? I cannot see why they would need a FW update to make it compatible with Mac. So, my vote goes against a PRS-505 FW update.
I think you are right. The 505 could only receive fairly subtle updates...

Some things I wouldn't mind:

- better/wider support for high-capacity SDHC cards
- faster indexing from SD(HC) cards (to allow one to make proper/full use of the space)
- better ability to organize/sort/group mp3s
- an option to auto-zoom in to the content with PDFs, not having the device show white borders

I also would be ecstatic if they turned their eBook Library software from the slow and unwieldy behemoth that it is into a more responsive and less crash-prone piece of software that made it easy to take full advantage of their "Collection" system (which is basically the same as GMail's "labels")--including the ability to autosort by title and/or by author within all collections (instead of having to manually do it every time you add new books).

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #18
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
they could update ADE, so that people could have justified epubs. that would make a lot of people happy...

I could add a wish for something about their ebook store but I'll be appropriately pessimistic and bet that there will be not a word spoken about changes in their content offerings.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Whoa! It's only been a few days since Sony announced the PRS-300 and the PRS-600, but today they have sent us an invitation to a press conference scheduled the morning of Monday, August 24 in New York. Sony's Reader team is going to be there and the big question we're all asking ourselves: What is it that the Reader team would normally do at a major press event? What say you, rumormongers?
Well since rumors don't need to be founded by any facts. I say SONY will announce a DRM-free solution.

Oh and I agree with ZeePee announcement of wireless, they have already hinted so. But wireless a la phone carrier not WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Thanks, John! That's good to know.

Are they likely to "backport" features in their newer devices' firmware into the 505 and the 700?

- Ahi
Well kind of. The 505 FM release was really believed to be development for the 700. Since they where the same code base the 505 benefited from this.

Also prior to the upgrade reading PDF was absolutely terrible after the upgrade PDF support was quite excellent.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #20
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Okay, fine. I think Sony will announce a new 55" LED ebook reader that will blow the socks off of all current LCD and plasma ebook readers. It will also come with its own gibbon for transporting the reader and the required nuclear device to power it. Bananas sold separately.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #21
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Okay, fine. I think Sony will announce a new 55" LED ebook reader that will blow the socks off of all current LCD and plasma ebook readers. It will also come with its own gibbon for transporting the reader and the required nuclear device to power it. Bananas sold separately.
i might want to change my vote. (hm, sounds like a good poll...)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #22
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
they could update ADE, so that people could have justified epubs. that would make a lot of people happy...
The moment they do that is the moment I go through my epubs and add a 'text-align: left;' line to all of them. I've said it before and I'll continue to say it till I'm blue in the face: justification without a reasonable hyphenation scheme is simply atrocious. You're adding totally erratic wordspacing into the mix for the sake of having a "pretty" box of text. I like to read my books, not look at pretty boxes of text. And ... having ... random ..... white ... spaces .... between ....... the .... words ........ does ...... not ..... work ... towards .... the ..... goal .. of ..... readability. But if you think that's more pleasing to read, then more power to you.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #23
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
The moment they do that is the moment I go through my epubs and add a 'text-align: left;' line to all of them. I've said it before and I'll continue to say it till I'm blue in the face: justification without a reasonable hyphenation scheme is simply atrocious. You're adding totally erratic wordspacing into the mix for the sake of having a "pretty" box of text. I like to read my books, not look at pretty boxes of text. And ... having ... random ..... white ... spaces .... between ....... the .... words ........ does ...... not ..... work ... towards .... the ..... goal .. of ..... readability. But if you think that's more pleasing to read, then more power to you.
i'm with you, personally. but i think we're in the minority.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #24
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
i'm with you, personally. but i think we're in the minority.
It's merely an option of choosing the lesser evil.

And I say...

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks, John! That's good to know.

Are they likely to "backport" features in their newer devices' firmware into the 505 and the 700?

- Ahi
My guess would be depending on how the old devices can handle the new features. I do hope we get justified ePub support and dictionary support for the 700 if not the 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #26
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do hope we get justified ePub support and dictionary support for the 700 if not the 505.
Well, Sony CS told me they were working on a dictionary support update, so that's what I'm hoping for.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #27
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's merely an option of choosing the lesser evil.

And I say...

- Ahi
LOL! your such a smarta**
Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Well, Sony CS told me they were working on a dictionary support update, so that's what I'm hoping for.
Do you think this dictionary support update will work with the 505 or just the 700?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #29
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Wow that would be nice. I wounder if they would use a T9 system for the 505 or just support the 700.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #30
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you think this dictionary support update will work with the 505 or just the 700?
They were a little vague on the question. This was Live Chat, not a person on the phone.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote