Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think you mean "slick" rather than "sick" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #107
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can mean much the same thing depending upon intent.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #108
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Can mean much the same thing depending upon intent.

This is a distortion of the English language that's unknown to both me and my Chambers dictionary .
Old 05-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #109
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
sick.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:35 AM   #110
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

This is a distortion of the English language that's unknown to both me and my Chambers dictionary .
Proof that you're simply an old man!

(not that I would use it in that sense, but I knew at least it is used so!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2017, 06:01 AM   #111
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Proof that you're simply an old man!

(not that I would use it in that sense, but I knew at least it is used so!)
I'm sure you're right about me being out of touch with the modern vernacular, but I'd respectfully suggest to the poster that use of such "street slang" is unhelpful in circumstances where clear communication is desirable. If someone were to say to me "my Kindle is sick", my assumption would be that they were telling me that it was faulty.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #112
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickan__ View Post
But I just assumed that "organising my books" was going to be something really straightforward. And yeah, I assumed that there would be no ads on my device, why would there be ads on my device? I've never had ads on any device I've ever bought, ever, so the thought never even crossed my mind to look it up, and the blurb on the website I bought it from never mentioned ads.
Two very reasonable assumptions.

Quote:
I don't really mind either if I can't jailbreak the Kobo easily or not, IF it has the features I want out of the box. And it seems like it does. Thanks for all the advice and feedback
The Kobo comes jailbreaked.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #113
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Wow, this thread got way more replies than I was expecting. I wasn't trying to start any arguments.
You do know this is the Internet, right?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #114
cliver
Connoisseur
cliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enough

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Anyway, I ordered a Kobo Aura ONE now, which is kind of bigger than I would have preferred, but the other features seem to make it worthwhile. I did read the comments saying that Kobos might have ads soon. If it works well for me as an eReader then I probably won't mind too much. I'll never buy anything from an ad tho, so it's a wasted effort on me. I don't really mind either if I can't jailbreak the Kobo easily or not, IF it has the features I want out of the box. And it seems like it does. Thanks for all the advice and feedback
Hi vickan_,
Did you get the Aura ONE?
How do you find it?
I am in a similar position in that I have a Kindle Paperwhite Edition 2 which has updated so I can't root it .
I love the reading experience on it but hate the book management so am looking for something that:
  1. Has as good as or better eInk screen
  2. Has better book management (mainly for series sorting)
  3. Has decent battery life
  4. Is reasonably responsive
To be honest I would probably be happy with the Kindle if I could jailbreak it as I know there are add ons available to work with calibre but I would like to move away from Amazon if I can.
Kobo looks to be the way to go. I have looked at the H2O and the Aura ONE but some reviews say they are unresponsive and I'm not sure I want a "massive" screen. So your feedback, and anyone else with any input would be appreciated.
Regards
Clive
cliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:12 AM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A new Kindle may not be able to be jailbroken because the new firmware cannot be jailbroken via software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #116
cliver
Connoisseur
cliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enough

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A new Kindle may not be able to be jailbroken because the new firmware cannot be jailbroken via software.
Neither can my old one because I failed to stop it updating

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
cliver is offline   Reply With Quote