Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I just this moment finished the last of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan books. ("Cryoburn" in internal chronology order...I finished "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance" last week.)

Wow. Good series. Military SF adventure and space opera and intrigue, then once she hooks you, she takes you to character drama, romance, farce, and more.

So now what? What should I read next?

ApK
My brother's almost in the same place that you are: he has two more Bujold books to read and he's trying to make them last to get him through Christmas week. I'm going to recommend that he start the Liaden series next, which share some of the same characteristics that make the Bujold series so captivating.

On my recommendation, he read some of the Honor Harrington books--more of them, actually, than I was able to get through. But Weber's Dahak trilogy is good, and if it's filled with battles, at least they're different kinds of battles. The Weber/Ringo March books are good, and we both liked L.E. Modesitt's first three Imager books.

A year or so ago, I would have thought the Georgette Heyer recommendations were off the wall. But Sharon Lee, the co-author of the Liaden books, has a blog and periodically lists the books she's been reading. In 2012, I think, she and her husband, Steve White, read a dozen or so of the Heyer books to each other and, being curious about what there was about the novels that would prompt them to do that, I read a Heyer book (Frederica, which was funny from beginning to end.) Since then, I've read most of the Regency books, though the one of her detective books I read I didn't enjoy that much.

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #17
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I was chiming in on the Georgette Heyer suggestion because you had read "A Civil Campaign" (the title is an homage to Heyer's "A Civil Contract").

Bujold's touchstone for "A Civil Campaign" was Heyer's Regency romances.

I keep meaning to read them myself. They were (possibly still are) my mother's favourite books.

Graham
Ah. So, not steam-punk, then?

Like Strether, I was thinking it was an odd mention, but since three people in a "Vorkosigan" thread have brought them up, I may have to give them a look.

There's a lot of good-sounding stuff mentioned here so far. I hope some of them are available as audiobooks. Preferably from the library.

Last edited by ApK; 12-17-2013 at 04:31 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #18
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah. So, not steam-punk, then?

There's a lot of good-sounding stuff mentioned here so far. I hope some of them are available as audiobooks. Preferably from the library.
I don't know if all the Liaden books are available as audiobooks, but I think most of them are. Not sure about the Heyer books.

Jim
Old 12-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
What about this Georgette Heyer 17th Century England series brought it to mind here?
Is it steam-punk or something?
No, just very good quality historical romances. Well worth anyone's time, and a favourite of Ms Bujold's.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #20
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If you want more sci fi military, try Mike Resnick's Starship series (starts with Mutiny). Only 5 books long.

I just finished Shards of Honor, so I'm just beginning the saga.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I don't know if all the Liaden books are available as audiobooks, but I think most of them are.
All of them are (well, except the various short stories), and quite well done too. I don't know about from the library, but I don't think so.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
A year or so ago, I would have thought the Georgette Heyer recommendations were off the wall. But Sharon Lee, the co-author of the Liaden books, has a blog and periodically lists the books she's been reading. In 2012, I think, she and her husband, Steve White, read a dozen or so of the Heyer books to each other and, being curious about what there was about the novels that would prompt them to do that, I read a Heyer book (Frederica, which was funny from beginning to end.) Since then, I've read most of the Regency books, though the one of her detective books I read I didn't enjoy that much.

Jim
That would be Steve Miller. And I agree, the Heyer books are not off the wall, even though they certainly aren't steam punk!

Historically accurate, totally fictional, Regency England romances with wonderfully funny writing. Highly recommended. (and yes, many are available as audio books, as are all the Liaden books. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #23
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

4 different santa-hatted avatars in a row above. How about that.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #24
Strether
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
That would be Steve Miller.
Embarrassing. Thanks for the correction.

Jim
Old 12-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #25
ApK

Quote:
Embarrassing. Thanks for the correction.

Jim
Seriously. How can you forget hits like "Swing Town" and "Take the Money and Run!"
Old 12-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
4 different santa-hatted avatars in a row above. How about that.
You should see some of the threads in the lounge. Especially the "Last person to post here wins" thread.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #27
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
In addition to those series already suggested:

Mike Shepherd's Kris Longknife series; "Mutineer" is the 1st book.

Debra Doyle & James D. MacDonald's Mageworld series; "The Price of Stars" is the 1st book.

Jean Johnson's Theirs Not To Reason Why series; "A Soldier's Duty" is the 1st.

Dana Stabenow's Star Svensdottor series; "Second Star" is the 1st.

Chris Moriarty's Spin series; "Spin State" is the 1st.

R. M. Meluch's Tour of the Merrimack series; "The Myriad" is the 1st.

S. J. MacDonald's Fourth Fleet Irregulars series; "Mission Zero" is the 1st.

Stephen Hunt's Sliding Void series; "Sliding Void" is the 1st.

Catherine Asaro's Saga of the Skolian Empire series; "Primary Inversion" is the 1st.

James S. A. Corey's Expanse series; "Leviathan Awakes" is the 1st.

Karen Traviss' Wess'har series; "City of Pearl" is the 1st

David Weber & John Ringo's Prince Roger/Empire of Man series; "March Upcountry" is the 1st.

Sharon Lee & Steve Miller's Liaden Universe series; start with either "Local Custom" or "Conflict of Honors". Just reiterating this series because it is so great.

Kristine Smith's Jani Kilian series; "Code of Conduct" is 1st.

Joel Shepherd's Cassandra Kresnov series; "Crossover" is the 1st book.

----

I also recommend Georgette Heyer's Regencies - great books.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #28
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just noticed an Honor Harrington thread above....perhaps...

and I was just checking this series out as I've not read it either (but have read some of her work) and ran across this wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ks_and_authors

Last edited by kennyc; 12-20-2013 at 11:29 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #29
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I noticed one 2-star comment on Amazon about Shards of Honor claiming it was a Romance, not SF....is the person just deluded or ??
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #30
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I noticed one 2-star comment on Amazon about Shards of Honor claiming it was a Romance, not SF....is the person just deluded or ??
It's SF with a bit of romance. Don't be turned off by the romance label. It's a great story. And if you do like it, do read the second in the series Barrayar.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote