Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #16
Artisan
Miles away from ordinary.
Artisan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
I might like it if it were giving me sample of books in which I might be interested, based on my ratings. It seems random, andi wish it would stop.
Artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #17
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
My understanding is when you register the NST it is in the user agreement that you agree to.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:10 AM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
My understanding is when you register the NST it is in the user agreement that you agree to.
If you are referring to the 'Terms and Conditions', that is on the Nook itself (Settings, Device Info). 140 nook pages long, including 3rd party agreements. But I couldn't find anything like what you are referring to.

Even if it is in there somewhere, that in no way means it is a welcome or industry standard practice.

It would be totally different if the feature were there and I could 'opt in'. Some people, perversely or otherwise, like to view advertisements. I would not deny them the opportunity.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #19
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
Just out of curiosity, are these just random book samples that are downloading to your nook all the time or are these the samples that B&N adds to your account when you first register your device? So far, the only unwanted samples I've had were the ones BN sends to to the device when it's registered. I've had to reregister the device twice (once because the "What to what to read next" area only had one entry (some erotica book) and wouldn't update and once because I had to reset my account password) and BN automatically added a couple of samples to my account each time I reregistered.

Reregistering the device is a pain, and you will have a couple of samples to delete afterwards, but it might be worth a try if you are continually getting unwanted samples. Could be some setting on your device didn't reset and the BN website keeps thinking that your device is new. I hope BN isn't going to start sending samples out all of the time - the "what to read next" area is as much advertising I want to see.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzilla View Post
Just out of curiosity, are these just random book samples that are downloading to your nook all the time or are these the samples that B&N adds to your account when you first register your device?
Randomly. Not counting when I first registered my Nook I've had samples added to my library and sent to my Nook twice now. Not been able to discern a pattern of when or what (other than first registering a Nook) causes the samples to be added.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #21
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Randomly. Not counting when I first registered my Nook I've had samples added to my library and sent to my Nook twice now. Not been able to discern a pattern of when or what (other than first registering a Nook) causes the samples to be added.
That's what it sounded like. Luckily, I haven't had any unwanted samples appear in my account (so far). I do remember that last year a very similar sounding issue affected some nook users. At the time, BN customer service said the problem was caused by "server issues" that they had fixed. I wonder if BN accidentally recreated the problem when they recently redesigned their website?
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 AM   #22
Verne Bunsen
Verne Bunsen began at the beginning.

Man, I just bought my STR today and already had to remove unwanted "Sample" books from it twice. If this is part of the Nook experience, it's a guaranteed deal breaker. She'll be going right back where she came from.
Verne Bunsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #23
ddandb
ddandb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The sample books (ads) were kind of a let down to see.
When I compared the Kindle and the Nook, The Kindle had two of the basic models available. One for $119 that featured ads and one for $139 that didn't. They were very up front about it. I wish Nook had been as equally upfront.
ddandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #24
Kycoo
Kycoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen and HD 8.9), Kindle Touch
I haven't received any new unsolicited sample since my original post of Aug. 30

By the way, I read on both the Kindle 3 and the STR and the STR is definitely way more ergonomic to use. With my wrists problems, my body tells me right away if something is not ergonomic. The STR is lighter and generally just more comfortable to hold and turn pages. I love the rubberized skin of the STR. I can read with this ereader for hours.

But if BN does not stop this practice of sending unsolicited samples, I am jumping ship as soon as Amazon comes up with a touch Kindle e-ink.

Last edited by Kycoo; 09-19-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Kycoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #25
Wolf3
Connoisseur
Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook 2, Kindle 3, iPad 2, iPod 4
I just got my Nook 2 tonight, and yeah, I've had random books appear. I can't even figure out a fast way to delete stuff...the library interface SEEMS worse than the Kindle at first glance...seems like it would get super confusing after a bit when you have your own books mixed in with a ton of other random stuff.
Wolf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #26
Verne Bunsen

There is no "fast" way to delete the junk they push on you, you must log onto your BN account on a computer and manually delete each one.It's not a big deal, but the fact of the matter is you shouldn't have to. It really chaps my ass that after paying full price for the Nook itself, then paying for the books on it, I should have to deal with advertising as though it were an ad-supported system. There should absolutely be an opt-out option. I've written BN about it and was told they "forwarded my suggestion to the individuals responsible for Nooks for consideration and possible implementation," which sounds exactly like a run-around to me. I will continue to let them know my feelings on this and would recommend anyone else who feels it's an unacceptable practice to do likewise. If they hear about it enough, perhaps they'll address it.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #27
Wolf3
Connoisseur
Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook 2, Kindle 3, iPad 2, iPod 4
It even seems like that could be implemented in a way that it seems like a feature...like...somehow separate it out, in a section like "samples of other books you might enjoy".

Yeah...it's downloaded "Conquestadora" and stuck it IN FRONT OF the actual book that I paid for and want to read. Man...that's messed up.

Between that and possibly the DRM not working the way I thought it did, this hasn't been a glorious first day with my Nook LOL :-O
Wolf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #28
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verne Bunsen View Post
There is no "fast" way to delete the junk they push on you, you must log onto your BN account on a computer and manually delete each one.
Not true. To remove a book from your nook you can archive it directly from the device. Open the book you wish to remove, tap on the center of the screen to bring up the book options and tap the "more" button. From there you can archive the book, which will remove it from your device.

If you want to delete books later, you can do it from the website. But to get stuff off your nook right now, it's easy to do it without logging into your B&N account.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #29
Verne Bunsen

I hear you, it really cast a shadow over my initial impression as well, kind of cheapened the whole experience for me. I've cooled off about it enough to realize that, other than this issue, I am really very happy with the Nook, but it still gets my goat.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #30
Verne Bunsen

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Not true. To remove a book from your nook you can archive it directly from the device. Open the book you wish to remove, tap on the center of the screen to bring up the book options and tap the "more" button. From there you can archive the book, which will remove it from your device.

If you want to delete books later, you can do it from the website. But to get stuff off your nook right now, it's easy to do it without logging into your B&N account.
Good to know, thanks!!