Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #151
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
This happened to me once! YOU'VE INSTALLED THE DREADED SETUP WIZARD! LOL!

Try this:

http://pocketnow.com/how-to/android-...to-begin-video

Oh yeah - if they're including the setup wizard in the update.zip app installation, this is most certainly a terrible idea. That thing is designed for phones, so it locks, hangs, and causes much mischief.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #152
bigdogbts
bigdogbts began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Tried that. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the 4 corners trick works.
bigdogbts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #153
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

When it happened to me, that didn't fix it, either . . . I ended up having to start over by reverting to Dingo and then reinstalling Ermine. Unless anybody has any other ideas . . .
Old 07-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #154
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
I agree with Kenny 100% and partly with Emusan. A rom can be produced without a SDK taking elements from the same base and tweaking drivers or combining roms from different manufacturers. Hence my suggestion to look at other Marvell devices, funny enough our unit is the same base as bluepanther rom so a diff could highlight what is specific to edge.
Regarding PTsenter "Rom" the only progress I can see is that manage to upgrade, I tried modifing the apps in the system.zip but the device refused to do anything so he knows something I do not. I would be nice to have a team here. The real rom cookers are cooking for fancy devices not for old ones with funny cpus.
contacted bluepanther dev and no answer
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #155
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
I agree with Kenny 100% and partly with Emusan. A rom can be produced without a SDK taking elements from the same base and tweaking drivers or combining roms from different manufacturers. Hence my suggestion to look at other Marvell devices, funny enough our unit is the same base as bluepanther rom so a diff could highlight what is specific to edge.
I don't get what you mean by doing a diff on the ROM's, we don't have the source code to anything on the eDGe's actual ROM, and running a diff on machine code is not going to yield anything useful...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #156
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I mean on files structure.
No source for hc was ever released, still plenty of roms.
EG. HC port for NI is derived from different larger manufacturers with similar hardware. I was thinking on the same line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
I don't get what you mean by doing a diff on the ROM's, we don't have the source code to anything on the eDGe's actual ROM, and running a diff on machine code is not going to yield anything useful...
Old 07-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #157
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogbts View Post
Tried that. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the 4 corners trick works.
On the edge the sequence is 'counter-clockwise' the video demonstrated clockwise.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #158
kennyminot
Groupie

I don't know how this works, but getting the source code from the kernel from a device with a similar Marvell processor would be a huge step. People adapt drivers from similar devices all the time - part of the reason that development is so hot for the G-tab is because it has a Tegra 2 processor, which is shared by a million other devices.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #159
vicinc
Guru

agreed kenny. I checked the android base on the bluepanther and is the same base like ours. The recovery is so intentionally screwed on our device, to stop people experimenting. I am afraid to do anything rootwise with my device as I am afraid will screw my eink apps as happen on my first device without any recovery option. if at least recovery is sorted we can get people to experiment. the idea is to see how much difference is between our rom and other marvell roms on the same base. Full market was achieved on other marvell devices so I do not see why this can not be achieved. I am fine with the market as the beast kernell gapps work just fine on my PE.
I would kill to get the recovery sorted. I think Robot managed to hack the uboot and recovery otherwise he would have not been able to boot on EINK side.
I wrote him but he did not answer. I think all potential devs where so alienated by Entourage as they do not want to touch this hardware anymore.
Shame. I am thinking if all of us will make a USD10 donation we may get somebody interested to work on this as a paid project?
Or should just stop and use my working PE and have the borked one for spares....
BTW how difficult is to change the lcd in those devices?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #160
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
BTW how difficult is to change the lcd in those devices?
well, first you would have to find a supplier that would sell to you(the exact same LCD, with the same driver, touchscreen, etc.) in small amounts and to someone that is not a company. Then, you would have to open the lcd side of the case, unplug the old LCD ribbon cable, and plug in the new one, thats the easy part though.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #161
remedy
remedy began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge, Jetbook mini, Viewsonic Gtablet
location spoofer - trick market

I doubt this will be of any help but I remember reading that one of the hurtles to overcome was the market identifying your device as an eligible phone in an eligible country.

Anyhow found this program designed to spoof the market in order to overcome that problem. I still could not get my market to work, and I certainly can't garauntee the safety of your device if you wish to start messing around with this, but I figure someone smarter than I may be able to put it to good use.

http://mall.soc.io/apps/MarketEnabler_Donate_Version

This is the $5 product page ^^ but read the description and you can get the app for free if you sit through an ad at -

http://s.2030.tk/marketenable

EDIT : Rebooted, spoofed again, and now my market works - Boo Yah

Last edited by remedy; 07-14-2011 at 10:11 PM.
remedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #162
DroidEDI
DroidEDI began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
OK, ill bite. Do you mind providing step by step how you got it to work? I tried the verizon one and it doesn't seem to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy View Post
I doubt this will be of any help but I remember reading that one of the hurtles to overcome was the market identifying your device as an eligible phone in an eligible country.

Anyhow found this program designed to spoof the market in order to overcome that problem. I still could not get my market to work, and I certainly can't garauntee the safety of your device if you wish to start messing around with this, but I figure someone smarter than I may be able to put it to good use.

http://mall.soc.io/apps/MarketEnabler_Donate_Version

This is the $5 product page ^^ but read the description and you can get the app for free if you sit through an ad at -

http://s.2030.tk/marketenable

EDIT : Rebooted, spoofed again, and now my market works - Boo Yah
DroidEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:15 AM   #163
remedy
remedy began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge, Jetbook mini, Viewsonic Gtablet
hrm I'll give it a shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidEDI View Post
OK, ill bite. Do you mind providing step by step how you got it to work? I tried the verizon one and it doesn't seem to work
I wish I could say I kept meticulous track of every step I made and knew exactly how I got this working. Sadly the reality is more one of semi-conscious experimentation in my spare hours over a very long (and hot) week at work.

I tried many many things but I believe these were the only steps which were influential.

- Used z4root from amazon appstore to root my device permanently.

- Used the titanium backup method to restore google apps+data as per the guides and files on this and xda forum, although many were (and still are) largely non-functional.

- Synchronised my contacts and Email using the froyo email method I found um.... somewhere. I sort of doubt this did anything but who knows.

- Cleared user data and cache from most of the apps ( I can't say which ones for sure, but market and gmail.) Crashed the market and when it restarted it gave me TOS and asked me for my google credentials.

- Had market "running" for a day this way but every download I tried was "Unsuccessful" which is what happens when market is not configured correctly.

- Downloaded that market enabler program, spoofed a verizon/US ID, and absolutely nothing happened. Rebooted, tried it again with the verizon/US setting and this time got a progress bar showing it working. Now market is fully functional.

I actually included this in the rom development thread in the hopes that someone could build similar code into the new rom and alleviate some issues getting to the market. I didn't really expect it to work as is on my device to be honest, but I'm quite happy it did.

Now let's hope this isn't a random isolated success.

I also find it hilarious that this program which is designed to overcome google's security and enable market on devices which aren't allowed access to it.... is now available in the google market!
remedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #164
emusan
lol

@remedy

Did you use my archive for the backup method or your own provided from your own phone?
Old 07-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #165
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
coyote source code

We already have a source code for Dingo.
Does anybody have a source code for Coyote by chance?
Thanks.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote