Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
KandyL
KandyL is on a distinguished road

Device: Pandigital Novel
New to E-books but wanting to learn

Hi all,
I recently got an e-book reader. A Pandigital Novel. I downloaded Calibre for a management tool but I'm can't seem to get the books loaded on to the e-reader. So at this point I'm learning everything I can about the workings of E-Books and the readers. I'd also like to get some children's books as I have a 2 year old grandson and there was one book on the reader and he loved it.

I'm Kandy BTW, also learning a new DroidX as well as the e-reader.

Kandy
KandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Kandy and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi, Kandyl, welcome to MR. Perhaps you can ask advice in the Calibreforum? Good luck.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KandyL View Post
Hi all,
I recently got an e-book reader. A Pandigital Novel. I downloaded Calibre for a management tool but I'm can't seem to get the books loaded on to the e-reader. So at this point I'm learning everything I can about the workings of E-Books and the readers. I'd also like to get some children's books as I have a 2 year old grandson and there was one book on the reader and he loved it.

I'm Kandy BTW, also learning a new DroidX as well as the e-reader.

Kandy
Dear Kandy:

I also have a Pandigital Novel 7" white (PDN), as well as a Sony Reader and love them both!

One of the first things you might want to do is install the latest update for the PDN. Visit www.pandigital.net/Downloads and pick the device that is yours.

Does your PDN have the Barnes & Noble bookstore app on it? There are many free books available for the Nook "Nookbooks" that you can purchase, and download via wi-fi. To save time, I go on my computer and browse the free nook books, "buy" them and download them when I get a wi-fi connection - this is a fast & easy thing. You get the wi-fi connection (right now I have dial up so we go to McDonalds for the free wi-fi!), hit "Library" on your PDN, then select "Get Books". It will then ask for your B&N account info ID & password. Your purchased books (free & purchased) will appear, and the PDN will ask which books you want to download. Select them, the download will start, and your new ebooks will appear on the library.

~~~~~~~~~~

On your computer: You can use any ePub or PDF books format on the PDN, so you can shop any ebook seller that sells these two formats (Kobo, BooksOnBoard, Harlequin, etc).

I use the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) to put ePub & PDF books on both devices (Sony & PDN). This is a free download www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions . You will need to make up an account through them, which is free also.

Purchase your ePub & PDF books from your ebook seller, then SAVE them on your computer, don't open them. I made a File Folder on my computer that I save all my Digital Books to: "MY DIGITAL EDITIONS". Then in Windows Explorer, click on the download file .acsm file, right click "Open with" your book with Adobe Digital Editions. ADE will then open up, then begin downloading your book. OR, if your file is already on your computer in a ePub/PDF format, Open ADE, and "add book to library" at the left top - this is a drop down. ADE will then load your file, and you can then put on ereader device.

When you want to put books on the PDN, you will run ADE then hook up the PDN to computer with the USB cord. Turn on the PDN first! The first time you hook up your new reader to ADE, it will ask you to "register" your device. Put in your Adobe account info (ID & password). This is a one time thing. Your PDN will show up as PD_NOVEL on the left side of the books covers in ADE, and you will just click and drag the book onto the PD_NOVEL.

VIEWING YOUR BOOKS ON PDN: Any books you put onto the PDN via the Adobe Digital Editions will be viewed under the Application Quick Launch Bar on the bottom of the PDN - scroll over till you find "ADOBE EBOOKS" - it's right next to "GAMES". Click onto Adobe ebooks, and your list of books you loaded on will be there. Select the book you want to read, and hit VIEW. You can put book marks on any book you read on the PDN by taping once in the right corner.

I wish the device would put these books into the main book library, but whatever!

Any other questions, let me know! Hope this helps you out!
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Welcome Kandy! I don't have a pandigital, but I do have a droid x. I downloaded the overdrive app to get wma audiobooks from the library and also aldiko which is perfect for my other epubs and such. Overdrive will do epub too, but I prefer aldiko. I love reading on my droidx
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:47 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Kandy. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
G'day and welcome to MR. Look at all the help you have all ready. You found the right place for kind assistance and good knowledge of your new deviCe.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
Shazza
Addict
Shazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G & Wifi iphone
Welcome Kandy, hope you find the generous advice already offered helpful!

Sharon
Shazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
Ginseng
Ginseng began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital
Hi GraceKrispy; Have you installed Aldiko on your PDN and are you reading epubs with it? Does the page render properly? I'm having problems with the wrapping. It doesn't cut the lines properly and the lines are too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Welcome Kandy! I don't have a pandigital, but I do have a droid x. I downloaded the overdrive app to get wma audiobooks from the library and also aldiko which is perfect for my other epubs and such. Overdrive will do epub too, but I prefer aldiko. I love reading on my droidx
Ginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:02 AM   #12
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Hello and welcome to MobileRead. As you have already seen, we have many helpful people around here.

I have two - 2yr old grandsons so we have something in common.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote