Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Pocketbook IQ

I've posted about this in the Pocketbook forum but wanted to post here because the IQ is an open Android tablet. Running a custom version of 2.0 (I think) an update is expected this week on Nov 25. Pocketbook has said that they will update to 2.2 (Froyo). I've read that the hardware is based on the Pandigital Novel White but supposedly better. I definitely like it better than the Maylong M-150 and as I only paid $30 more it's a bargain. When I preordered the price was $139.99 with a now expired $10.00 off coupon for a purchase price of $129.99. IFAIK, the IQ is now selling at $149.99. All prices are US.

The IQ has a significantly better screen than the Maylong, much clearer. The touchscreen is very responsive, I can actually two finger type at normal speeds. The wifi comes back faster after hibernation and the SD card (standard size, you don't need a micro) is always recognized. I've never used a Pandigital Novel so I don't know how well it compares.

The custom firmware includes Pocketbook's custom reading app. I haven't spent a lot of time with it but that will change today. I installed the Kindle app and Aldiko with no problems and they both work better and faster than on the Maylong.

Even at $149.99 this is definitely a tablet to be considered.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Thank you! Please keep updating us as you discover more of it's capabilities. Is it able to read drm material if we register it with ADE?
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
yes it is
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have no idea how to get ADE to recognize the IQ. With other readers when you plug it in to PC ADE "sees" the device. At least that's how it worked with the Kobo and Sony. Since my PC only "sees" the IQ as two different removable drives that's probably why ADE doesn't recognize the IQ. According to Adobe, none of the Pocketbook devices are on their supported devices list.

The Aldiko version available at Dulin's Books does not support ePub with DRM.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:49 AM   #5
mlstein
Enthusiast
mlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it is

Device: iPad (one)
Does Calbre connect with it? I use a Sony Reader in Linux, with ADE running in WINE. I download through ADE, the books are in the "My Digital Editions" folder, and I use Calibre to send them to my Sony....though I could probably drag and drop, too.
mlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
You know, I've been really really liking the Adliko app on my Phone, and if this thing can run that well, then I just might be looking into buying this thing and selling my Nook.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
You know, I've been really really liking the Adliko app on my Phone, and if this thing can run that well, then I just might be looking into buying this thing and selling my Nook.
It looks like Alkido app works fine on IQ.

Look up the review video here.
http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/pocketbook-iq.html
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I saw that. If I can find a store that has it, then I'll buy it once I sell my nook.

I end up turning the background grey on adliko and adjusting the brightness to where ever I'm reading....just a great reader so far.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Ok, this is the next device I want.

It's getting Android 2.2 - and most importantly it's NOT narrowscreen. Add in the price (cheaper than the Velocity Micro Cruz) and it's looking like a winner for me.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I should be getting my IQ tomorrow. I'll try my best to post some information in the PocketBook forum tomorrow night after I've played with it a bit. I bought a white one. I've never used Android before, so it's going to be a big learning experience for me.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlstein View Post
Does Calbre connect with it? I use a Sony Reader in Linux, with ADE running in WINE. I download through ADE, the books are in the "My Digital Editions" folder, and I use Calibre to send them to my Sony....though I could probably drag and drop, too.
My Win7 PC sees the IQ as a removable drive so, no Calibre doesn't recognize the IQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzki View Post
It looks like Alkido app works fine on IQ.

Look up the review video here.
http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/pocketbook-iq.html
Aldiko works really good but the Pocketbook Software allows you to navigate by chapters even if there's no TOC. I'm reading Eye of the World in Aldiko with night settings and it's a good experience.

One nice thing you can do in Aldiko is use the volume button on the side to turn pages. The volume button doesn't work in the eReader app to turn pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I saw that. If I can find a store that has it, then I'll buy it once I sell my nook.

I end up turning the background grey on adliko and adjusting the brightness to where ever I'm reading....just a great reader so far.
The only store in the US that has this is in Kansas City, AFAIK. It's easy enough to order and return it through Dulin's Books.

Last edited by TallMomof2; 11-23-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Well we would hope they don't return it But we are located in Oregon even though we dont have a physical retail store here. yet.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Just curious... How similar are the IQ and the Pandigital Novel? I keep hearing they have the same hardware but are they really THAt similar?
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
The PDN is cheaper and has quality stable firmware available thru slatedroid. They won my business today after I spent the last couple weeks waffling on the IQ, watching some of the issues they've had with it.

The IQ has a metal case, buttons, and a 2 year warranty. Would have cost me 160 with shipping. Despite reports, it appears the CPU is the same.

I got the PDN today for 119 plus tax at Kohls (140 on sale minus 15 percent off for using the Mrs' Kohls card), but also got 20 dollars in Kohls cash to buy stuff I need anyway. Effectively paying 50 dollars less.

Quite happy with the buy.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #15
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

I absolutely abhor Kohl's, had several bad shopping experiences there so I wouldn't go there if they were giving it away. I looked at the White Pandigital Novel but excluding Kohl's I would've spent $170 plus shipping and sales tax and the IQ was $130ish at the preorder price with a $10 coupon. Pocketbook makes excellent firmware for their eink readers and I expect that the reading software for the IQ will only improve.

Have fun with your Pandigital Novel!