Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Worth the difference?
Yes 23 63.89%
No 5 13.89%
I don't know 8 22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Kindle vs PRS 650 for PDF, worth the difference?

After reading a lot of posts about this subject, it seems that the 650 has somewhat better support for PDF than the Kindle Wi-Fi. It's my understanding that both ereaders have zoom and pan of PDF files, but the 650 allows reflowing. I understand that if the file is not tagged then reflowing is useless. Also, I know the 650 is more expensive than the Kindle (225 vs 139 in USA).

So, I have two questions:

1. Am I right in that the only difference for PDF support is the reflowing thing?
2. That better PDF support is worth the price difference?

I don't care (for now) about reading epubs. And yes, I know a Kindle DXG is better for PDFs, but I can't justify expending $379 in a gadget (my wife would behead me ).
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Icefeldt
Enthusiast
Icefeldt has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-650
yep.
thats the major advance (except the touch) of the 650 compared to the kindle.
I only read .pdfs and reflow is a must have!
Icefeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
It would depend on the type of PDFs, I suppose. For PDFs with complex layouts and lots of images, you'll probably want an ereader with a larger screen size anyway.

For novels and the like, reflow has become essential for me. I know some people have had bad luck with reading PDFs that don't reflow, and I can't speak to most 'homemade' PDFs, but all the PDFs I've checked out from my library -- okay, not that many, probably just twelve -- reflow correctly. Depending on the text size, I usually have one page full of text, the next page half-full, then repeat. This means that you sometimes see the PDF's header in the middle of the page, and it might be a distraction for you. I'm okay with this because I really hate panning otherwise.

A non-reflowed PDF v reflowed PDF. From what I understand, the Sony supports the forcing of reflow even if the PDF isn't tagged properly, resulting in the first example. For PDFs that are tagged to support reflow already, it's more like the second.

Last edited by viviena; 10-14-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: clarification
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:04 AM   #4
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
FWIW: I haven't yet met a PDF file that would be unflowable. The results vary of course, reflow does horrors to things like python code

PRS-650 has one more convenient thing: page mode, that allows you to zoom in to a fixed size, and then use page buttons to move the zoomed in area by pages. There are modes for 2 and 3 columns text (useful for science papers and rpg manuals). I'm not sure whether K3 has this kind of feature.
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yacoob View Post
FWIW: I haven't yet met a PDF file that would be unflowable. The results vary of course, reflow does horrors to things like python code
That depends primarily on how the PDF was made. For example, OS X has a built-in feature that lets you "print" to a PDF instead of an actual printer - but the resulting PDFs are really just pictures of the text, they can't reflow anymore than you could reflow an 8x11 picture of a flower.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Not true... I use the print-to-PDF regularly and all such are fully editable in Acrobat or any other third party editor, even URL links remain active, only pictures are pictures using this method... you are right about other non-OCRd PDFs where the pages are an assembly of unprocessed scans which, as you say, can't be reflowed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
That depends primarily on how the PDF was made. For example, OS X has a built-in feature that lets you "print" to a PDF instead of an actual printer - but the resulting PDFs are really just pictures of the text, they can't reflow anymore than you could reflow an 8x11 picture of a flower.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Not true... I use the print-to-PDF regularly and all such are fully editable in Acrobat or any other third party editor
Huh. I guess it depends on your print options. I tried it with one PDF I had made previously, and it did not reflow, but I tried again with a new PDF printout of a program listing and it did.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

mwheinz, I don't know what you've been using, but I've been saving to PDFs from OSX 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, with default options, and I had no problems with reflowing those under 505, and now on 650. I had some PDFs with scans of really old RPG manuals that consisted of page-big pictures - and yes, those were unflowable on 505. Haven't yet tried them on 650 with zoom or 2/3 column modes.
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
It would depend on the type of PDFs, I suppose. For PDFs with complex layouts and lots of images, you'll probably want an ereader with a larger screen size anyway.
The PDFs I read are academic papers. Some of them have images and/or tables but other are mostly text.

Judging by the poll it seems that the 650 does a better job than kindle.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
An additional feature of the sony is not only the reflow but also the zoom on the kindle only works in 3 steps while the sony has a stepless zoom function. It also has extra functions like one which cuts off the margins, a function cutting a page into four parts or 6 parts which is especially good for texts with two columns and a few more extras. I actually had a kindle 3G which I sent back to get the sony. It was absolutely worth it. The touchscreen is also a huge advantage.
901hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
silentbob
silentbob began at the beginning.

Does the new 650 annotate/highlight/etc within pdf files themselves? Or is that just for epubs or other 'ebooks'?
silentbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
hopkinsenglish
Connoisseur
hopkinsenglish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbob View Post
Does the new 650 annotate/highlight/etc within pdf files themselves? Or is that just for epubs or other 'ebooks'?
As long as the .PDF isn't locked (some .PDFs have security rights that prohibit readers from printing them) you can perform the annotations (highlighting and writing). I've had a much better experience with single column .PDFs, however.
hopkinsenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
Falcao
Banned

Maybe that is what make the price difference worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 901hw View Post
An additional feature of the sony is not only the reflow but also the zoom on the kindle only works in 3 steps while the sony has a stepless zoom function. It also has extra functions like one which cuts off the margins, a function cutting a page into four parts or 6 parts which is especially good for texts with two columns and a few more extras. I actually had a kindle 3G which I sent back to get the sony. It was absolutely worth it. The touchscreen is also a huge advantage.