Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Bug when sorting

So I had calibre for a while and never really liked it. Klunky buttons, bland design ... not at all what I'm used to on my mac. Then it did some weird things with my ebook menu structure, I wasn't impressed to say the least.

But then I got my iPhone.

And I needed a good ePub converter.

And now I really like it. I am currently importing all my books from the manually-sorted folder tree and let it all be done by Calibre.

Now the bug: I like the way you can set series, since I am a fan of sequential books. Now I have one author who is currently writing his 14th book in a series, and the way I now see the list of books is this:
serie name [1]
serie name [11]
serie name [12]
serie name [13]
serie name [2]
serie name [3]
serie name [4]

... the classic string-based sorting issue.

I tried inserting a "0" in front of the one-digit numbers, but that gets removed as soon as you close the meta-window.

Also, is there a way to permanently make Calibre sort by author, THEN by series?

I love how I can get all the meta data online, including the summary ... makes my stanza library a whole lot nicer than my mobipocket library on my symbian p1i
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is on the iPhone taht you see this sorting?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

No, in Calibre for Mac, latest version, when I click on the "Series" headline in the book list.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Works for me and the code path used is definitely not doing a string comparison. How are you entering the series number? If you click the edit metadata button does the series number show up in the series index field or as part of the series name?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
mores
Guru

In the metadata popup I enter a series name (or rather, select one of the previously entered serie names), then use the up arrow in the field underneath to change "Buch 1,00" to "Buch 12,00".

I'm using it in german, by the way. Version 0.6.17.

PS: why do you use 2 decimal places behind the book number - is that like for episodes, like "Desperate housewives Season 1 episode 12"?
If yes -> very cool!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild 2.png
Views:	244
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	37305  

Last edited by mores; 10-12-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah you can have series numbers like 3.12 or 4.07
Old 10-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
@mores

Have you tried clicking on Series and then on Author? In its normal state, Calibre alphabetizes by author and then title, but those two clicks make it sort "right."

@kovid

Would it be hard to make that an option, so that Calibre would always sort by series first and then by author? Those two clicks are always the first thing I do when I open the program.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

there's an open ticket about remembering sub-sort, I'll get around to it eventually.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
mores
Guru

@polly ... whaddaya know ... that solves it.
Awesome, thanks.

Strange thing is, now I can't reproduce the error I posted. Whatever I do, it's always sorted properly.

weird.