Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #46
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
I went out to see the film yesterday. I have read all of the books and actually thought One Shot was one of the better ones.

The film was okay although not particularly memorable. I was surprised that I wasn't too bothered by Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher. I was less impressed about how little of Reacher we got to know. Probably not surprising as much of his character comes from his thoughts in the books and that is not easy to translate to film.

I did enjoy watching Rosamund Pike, mind you! However, I kept thinking I was in a more mellow version of a Jason Bourne film.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #47
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzod View Post
Wow. Ok, I don't like cruise any more than the rest of you guys, but I am surprised how much you guys liked the reacher novels. I just read the first novel and found it silly with one dimensional characters. Are the other books any better, or you guys just prefer the action (either variety) more than I do?
The Reacher books are comic books, basically! I enjoy the puzzles combined with the action but there's not much more to the books. I also find that Child does a good job of describing American cities and towns, especially in the mid-west.
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #48
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
I will see when chance comes

should not be personal with actors
only hcaracters
good actor is character
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #49
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
I went out to see the film yesterday. I have read all of the books and actually thought One Shot was one of the better ones.

The film was okay although not particularly memorable. I was surprised that I wasn't too bothered by Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher. I was less impressed about how little of Reacher we got to know. Probably not surprising as much of his character comes from his thoughts in the books and that is not easy to translate to film.

I did enjoy watching Rosamund Pike, mind you! However, I kept thinking I was in a more mellow version of a Jason Bourne film.
Bourne film excellent
also small person not big man
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #50
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
I 'm afraid to see it lest my future visions of Jack Reached be of Tom Cruise.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #51
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
I 'm afraid to see it lest my future visions of Jack Reached be of Tom Cruise.
That was my concern as well, but I watched the trailer a while back and have since read a few more of the books and it hasn't happened.

I still have no desire to see the movie. Just not a fan of Cruise...either professionally or personally.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #52
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I actually enjoyed the movie, not sure the books would be my thing. I do not mind formula action in books I read endworld and deathland books, vut not sure jack reacher would do it for me as books. Okay Tom Cruise minus his shirt ewwwwwwwwwwww. Sorry but I need to love the 50 year old to want to see it minus his shirt.
I found the humour style had a very 80s flavour to it. I of course am a total sucker for that style movie. I love action with humour. I do always say what I watch and what I read is miles apart .

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #53
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm on a roll with Jack! Finished Nothing to Lose and started Gone Tomorrow. I keep thinking I should take a break and read another genre or author, but with only a few books to go I'll probably stick with it.

I'm enjoying them for the most part -- I think it helps that I have friends/relatives who've served in the military and considering that Child is British it's kind of fun to see if I can spot any mistakes or anomalies in his knowledge of our history or way of life. He's actually lived here for quite a while I think, so we don't find many.

In the meantime, my TBR list is getting longer and longer and I'm fairly itching to use my book GC's for some new titles!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #54
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I'm on a roll with Jack! Finished Nothing to Lose and started Gone Tomorrow. I keep thinking I should take a break and read another genre or author, but with only a few books to go I'll probably stick with it.

I'm enjoying them for the most part -- I think it helps that I have friends/relatives who've served in the military and considering that Child is British it's kind of fun to see if I can spot any mistakes or anomalies in his knowledge of our history or way of life. He's actually lived here for quite a while I think, so we don't find many.

In the meantime, my TBR list is getting longer and longer and I'm fairly itching to use my book GC's for some new titles!
You're way ahead of me. I just started Running Blind this morning. I've read the last 2 books back to back. I was also going to read something different but couldn't think of anything but Jack Reacher. All have been great so far.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #55
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
I was just thinking... if this movie was made in the 80's it probably would have starred steven seagal.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #56
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

having said that, it wasnt too bad... i got a few good laughs out of it.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #57
ballfresno
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I love action with humour.
Actually, now that you mention it, this was something that annoyed me while watching the film. The books are not humorous in any way. One of the fights scenes in the film (I won't say more to avoid spoiling) could have come from a Three Stooges film. I was not impressed.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #58
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
Actually, now that you mention it, this was something that annoyed me while watching the film. The books are not humorous in any way. One of the fights scenes in the film (I won't say more to avoid spoiling) could have come from a Three Stooges film. I was not impressed.
i get lots of yucks from most of his books... the fight scene you refer to is definitely clownish but i get what the director wanted to portray.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #59
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
i get lots of yucks from most of his books...
Whew! Was starting to think there's something wrong with me because I find a lot of humor in his books, too.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:37 AM   #60
ballfresno
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Whew! Was starting to think there's something wrong with me because I find a lot of humor in his books, too.
Point taken.