Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
Hask
Hask began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Another Cover Question

Hello all, yes another cover question

Device : Kindle Touch ( 5.1.0 )
Calibre : 0.8.50

I had a lot of epub with cover page inside, when convert and tranfer to kindle if i open the book and tap to menu and goto cover i see the image.

But while im at main menu ( list all books ) when do a long tap over the book to see info about the book i see a generic kindle image as cover.

Any ideas? sorry about my bad english is not my primary language.

Thx a lot
Hask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is a bug in the Touch. You can work around it by using the share not sync option under MOBI output in the conversion dialog and reconverting your books.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Hask

Thanks a lot Kovid, good to know that is a bug in kindle (in previous firmware this was working good if that info is usefull)

I checked that option and works good (that disable last page read remeber right? any another problem?)

Again thanks and great work

Last edited by Hask; 05-08-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Yack
Yack began at the beginning.

Device: KT/Kobo/iPad/iPhone
Hello Hask,

If you're feeling brave and don't want to lose sync, you can add the missing thumbnails by hand, using the following method, for each book:

1/ With your favorite graphic tool, generate a thumbnail of the cover (8bit grayscale, 175 width).
As a Windows user, here is the command line that I use with irfanView:
Code:
i_view32.exe "C:\Calibre Library\Any Author\Any Title\cover.jpg" /resize_short=175 /resample /aspectratio /gray /convert="C:\Calibre Library\Any Author\Any Title\thumbnail.jpg"
2/ Get the calibre uuid for the book: right-click on a book -> "Show book details"

3/ Rename the previously generated thumbnail file using this pattern: thumbnail_{uuid}_EBOK_portrait.jpg
ex: thumbnail_a24d430e-944e-4712-a3be-edbf562b243e_EBOK_portrait.jpg

4/ Copy it to your Kindle, into /system/thumbnails

Et voilà...

Not the most elegant solution, but it works, and it can be easily automated if you have the necessary skills, or the right tools (I use Pentaho Kettle whenever I can... )

Yack
Yack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #5
Hask

Thanks a lot , good workarround i like see the cover while dont loose the sync feature,

i tried the method you teach to me and worked very well, i'm reading now how to automated this, its a little over my skills but i can read to learn . Now i have two method to work arround

Again thanks

Last edited by Hask; 05-13-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Advert
Old 05-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Yack

Glad to help, especially for my 1st post ;-)
Maybe this workaround could be integrated in a future release of Calibre, even if it's probably not the most elegant solution to get thumbnails...
Old 05-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/c...revision/12216
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
Yack

Many thanks Kovid, and congratulations for the fabulous work you do.
I wonder how many hours lasts one day in Mumbai.
Certainly not 24...
Old 07-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #9
clady
Clady
clady began at the beginning.

Device: Windows 10
same issue still there for Kindle for PC

Kindle for PC still does not show covers but the Calibre update took care of Kindle Touch.

Thanks! Fingers crossed that a new update someday takes care of Kindle for PC too.

Thanks for all the hard work.
clady is offline   Reply With Quote