Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Gerlyn
Enthusiast
Gerlyn began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Image sizes

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for images sizes in an epub? With the release of the new ipad and the higher resolution, should the images be now larger to appear better? Going from 1024 x 768 to 2048 x 1536. Has anyone tested it yet?
Gerlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerlyn View Post
Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for images sizes in an epub? With the release of the new ipad and the higher resolution, should the images be now larger to appear better? Going from 1024 x 768 to 2048 x 1536. Has anyone tested it yet?
There's a thread in the epub-forum
Making images expand for iPad
which is probably interesting for you
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Gerlyn
Enthusiast

Thanks for the referral. I read through that and I currently do use percentages for the photo size on the screen itself. I am just wondering if loading a file that is 2500 x 2000 is over the top if the picture is the full screen and you expect them to enlarge it. If I use a file size at 1500x1200 will it have the same effect or is 800 x 600 going to be good enough for the average person if they blow it up on the ipad?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerlyn View Post
Thanks for the referral. I read through that and I currently do use percentages for the photo size on the screen itself. I am just wondering if loading a file that is 2500 x 2000 is over the top if the picture is the full screen and you expect them to enlarge it. If I use a file size at 1500x1200 will it have the same effect or is 800 x 600 going to be good enough for the average person if they blow it up on the ipad?
I really don't know, but it seams that Ei-Pad can handle zooming in quite well. Maybe i't a good idea to make a test-epbub with different sizes of the same picture and have a look on it.

For a standard E-Ink 6'', 800 x 600 is more than enough.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Don't forget that images will be much larger at the higher resolution. If it is not needed, don't do it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Gerlyn
Enthusiast

To put an end to this I thought I would tell you what I learned. I created an epub using SIGIL and tested it on the new Ipad as well as a Ipad 2. Leaving them images at 600 x 800 is still acceptable, at 1200 x 1500 ideal but not worth the extra file size for me as I have approx 200 photos in the book.

I posted this here as I use SIGIL to create my epubs and have found the answers to my questions answered quickly and unbelievably helpful. Seeing that I use the images in the SIGIL program, I didn't even think to see if there is another forum. If there is a next time I guess I will think about where it could also be answered.