Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Kindle Book selection

I just did a brief check and found that the Kindle Edition books are really looking useful. I can find several books I have so far not seen as ebooks which is nice. There are still a few missing (like still no books by Joseph Delaney) but since this is the first day I'm actually quite impressed.

Of course this makes me even more unhappy about the whole US-Only deal...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given that AZW files are MobiPocket, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that a consequence of the Kindle launch will be a big increase in the number of titles available via other MobiPocket stores.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
I was quite surprised to see a number of very useful (and somewhat obscure) textbooks that I use for day-to-day reference available as Kindle editions. It will be interesting to see how equations and figures are handled, and if text will be reflowable.

Or, at least it would be if I were in the US. I wonder if the Whispernet leaks a bit over the border... one can hope!
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I just did a brief check and found that the Kindle Edition books are really looking useful. I can find several books I have so far not seen as ebooks which is nice. There are still a few missing (like still no books by Joseph Delaney) but since this is the first day I'm actually quite impressed.

Of course this makes me even more unhappy about the whole US-Only deal...
Unfortunately, content providers still appear to be unwilling or unable to release some things to digital. I've been waiting for the Wheel of Time series and the Drizzt series to hit digital for years.
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
For my own reading preferences, public domain works are well represented, especially if they're on Project Gutenberg, and more recent books are fairly well represented, but two of my favorite authors, Dorothy L. Sayers (at least as far as the Lord Peter Wimsey books go) and Georgette Heyer, are unavailable. I'm sure Amazon will expand the titles available, and as both of these authors still sell respectably well, that they will be available soon.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Just want to let everyone know that I am trying to download a subscription to the WaPo and a single issue of TIME. So for their system will not let me do either. When I can download them, I will post an update on whether they are DRMed.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
TheMooch
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I'm sure Amazon will expand the titles available, and as both of these authors still sell respectably well, that they will be available soon.
I used to think the same thing. Some have turned up, others are still noticeably absent. I would GLEEFULLY donate all of my hard copy books to a local library or school if all of my favorite titles were available. Unfortunately, the only electronic versions available are only as scanned and OCR'd (read pirated) texts.

What I'm waiting for:
Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time Series (Tor publishing)
R.A. Salvatore: Drizzt Dourden Series (Wizards of the Coast Publishing)
Elizabeth Moon: Paksenarrion series (Baen Publishing)

I'd LOVE to move over to the Kindle as it's a step in the right direction. The ability to buy from the reader ROCKS. BUT (and it's a big one) transitioning means that the books I've bought for my Sony Reader will be lost unless I maintain the reader (or if Sony suddenly decides to allow the format onthe kindle...like THAT will ever happen). Not something I look forward too.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMooch View Post
BUT (and it's a big one) transitioning means that the books I've bought for my Sony Reader will be lost unless I maintain the reader (or if Sony suddenly decides to allow the format onthe kindle...like THAT will ever happen). Not something I look forward too.
Hence the problem with proprietary and DRM formats. You don't really "own" the content like you do with a book.

You can share them, move them to another device, sell them, burn them for heat if OIL gets to expensive... etc.

Hence, I think DRM books should be ALOT cheaper than paper books!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
TheMooch
Member Retired

The DRM formats are definitely the main reason for lack of adoption. I think that we would see a marked improvement in conservation efforts if everyone agreed on a specific format then just fought it out in hardware wars. Charging the large premium for paper copies would eventually deter their use in favor of digital.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:

What I'm waiting for:
Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time Series (Tor publishing)
R.A. Salvatore: Drizzt Dourden Series (Wizards of the Coast Publishing)
Yeah, that! Robert Jordan did release prologues to the last few novels to eBook but you still had to buy (or borrow) the paper book in order to read the whole thing.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #11
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'm worried about the DRM and the proprietary format. I didn't buy an iPod because of DRM, and I could at least easily rip my own CDs and have them work on an iPod. One can "rip" a book but it's certainly not as easy as ripping a CD!
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #12
TheMooch
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I'm worried about the DRM and the proprietary format. I didn't buy an iPod because of DRM, and I could at least easily rip my own CDs and have them work on an iPod. One can "rip" a book but it's certainly not as easy as ripping a CD!
I've got a cd FULL of books "ripped" into Palm compatible formats. I'd love to be able to read them on a device like the Kindle. Ive also got books purchased from eReader.com (Palm format)....then I RE-purchased some of them on Sony Connect.

I have a strong feeling that Kindle stands a MUCH better chance of becoming mainstream. They've got the widest selection BY FAR. The online (PC browser) store is super easy to search through and the online backup is just plain smart.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
What I'm waiting for:
What are you waiting for? It's six bucks at Webscriptions, no DRM.

http://webscriptions.net/p-100-the-d...senarrion.aspx

NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:43 PM   #14
TheMooch
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Yeah, that! Robert Jordan did release prologues to the last few novels to eBook but you still had to buy (or borrow) the paper book in order to read the whole thing.
Unfortunately the Wheel of Time series suffered a setback with the death of Robert Jordan earlier this year. Supposedly he had all of the notes and recording made to finish the series.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:43 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
What I'm waiting for:
I don't think Baen e-books will ever be available from Amazon in AZM format, but you can buy them without DRM from www.webscription.net and they will work on the Kindle. Copy Baen's .PRC version directly to the Kindle via USB, or e-mail a suitable version (RTF? or PRC?) to Amazon to convert for you ($0.10 charge).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote