Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Nook STR Not supporting eReader PDB files?

So I just pre-orded the new Nook. After placing my order I decided to look at the specs. I noticed that under the support formats eReader PDB is not listed. B&N is saying it only supports EPUB and PDF.

I've sent the following email to B&N asking for clarification about B&N sold eReader PDB files.

Quote:
The new Nook STR has EPUB and PDF listed as the only supported ebook formats. How will I be able to read eReader PDB formatted books distributed by you on this device? Just the other day I purchased Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson and received this book as an eReader PDB file. Will I not be able to read large parts (including this title) of the B&N sold books on the new Nook?
My main concern is B&N is still selling titles in the eReader PDB format and I would like to actually be able to read books I buy from B&N on the device. I'm still ending up with about half the books I buy being in this format. I do only download to my computer and not directly to a Nook if that makes a difference. Anyone have ideas, thoughts, know anything about this.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I didn't know they were still selling books in eReader/PDB. Pretty sure the 'touch' won't support it as the reader appears similar to the 'color' (like maybe they're using the same software) and that doesn't support them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I didn't know they were still selling books in eReader/PDB.
Yep. They still are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Pretty sure the 'touch' won't support it as the reader appears similar to the 'color' (like maybe they're using the same software) and that doesn't support them.
So I'm buying a device from B&N that can't read books sold by B&N...
Old 05-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
So I'm buying a device from B&N that can't read books sold by B&N...
I'd be ticked too if I had any PDB's from them. I've got 330 boks in my library there, but none are PDB's.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Here's what I was told at the press conference:

If B&N sell it, you will be able to read in on the Nook.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:12 AM   #6
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
User_None, are you on a Mac?

As I understand it, B&N is transitioning to EPUB exclusively and anything you previously downloaded as a PDB can be re-downloaded as an EPUB.

What I've heard is that if you're downloading to a PC or a Nook, you already get EPUBs automatically.

But if you're downloading to a Mac, you will often get PDBs because the old eReader for Mac desktop app sometimes has trouble with EPUBs. (However, now that there's a beta version of Nook for Mac desktop app available, Mac users will probably start getting EPUBs instead of PDBs soon.)

To get an EPUB when downloading to a Mac, change the User Agent on your browser to mimic a PC. You can do this in Safari by going to the menu bar, choosing Develop > User Agent, and selecting Firefox for PC or Internet Explorer.

I haven't tried this on every single book that B&N sells, of course, but so far, it works for every single book I've bought from them.

If you're on a Mac, I'd be interested in knowing if your experience is the same as mine -- i.e., downloading to a Mac results in PDBs, but changing the User Agent to mimic a PC results in EPUBs.

Last edited by Jane12; 05-29-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: for clarity
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
I'm guessing if you bought it on BandN in PDB format, you can probably re-download it in Epub format, either right now, or in the very near future, as they seem to be transitioning to 100% epub.

If all else fails, a quick, easy Calibre convert should do the trick as well.
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
nevermind
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
User_None, are you on a Mac?
Yes I am.

Quote:
If you're on a Mac, I'd be interested in knowing if your experience is the same as mine -- i.e., downloading to a Mac results in PDBs, but changing the User Agent or downloading directly to a Nook results in EPUBs.
It is. Changing the user agent to IE 8 on Windows and everything downloads as an EPUB. If I don't change my user agent I get PDBs for a large number the titles in my library.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Yep, I was told by the phone customer service (not 1-800-the book peoples) that PDB is no longer supported. Pretty much everything should be ePub. Unfortunately I don't have a Mac so I can't play around and see what you're seeing. Very very odd.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Just curious -- is there a problem with losing PDB support if all B&N books can be re-downloaded as EPUBs? Is there an advantage to PDBs I'm not aware of?

Last edited by Jane12; 05-29-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
user_none

Quote:
Just curious -- is there a problem with losing PDB support if all B&N books can be re-downloaded as EPUBs? Is there an advantage to PDBs I'm not aware of?
It's not an issue if I can get the book as an EPUB. However, up until starting this thread I was under the impression that I could only get certain titles as eReader PDB files because that's all B&N would let me download.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
eReader.com PDB files?

Hi!

I have a lot of older eBooks in PDB format tied by ereader.com to my credit card number.

Will I be able to read these with my new Nook Simple Touch?

Thanks.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
user_none

I got a response from B&N on the issue. The new Nook STR will not read eReader PDB files. They have forwarded support for eReader PDB files as a suggestion to "the
individuals responsible for NOOK Books for consideration."
Old 05-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:

Yes, there is a problem. Those of us who have troves of books bought through B&N-owned companies like Fictionwise and eReader have no way to read those books on our B&N devices if they ditch PDB. If B&N isn't going to make their wholly-owned subsidiaries switch to EPUB, they really shouldn't be ditching support for PDB.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote