Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
iharley
iharley began at the beginning.

Device: nook
nook 1.5 and shelves

I'm aware that 1.5 just came out, but any thoughts on how/if Calibre will be able to sync shelves, or even make shelves?
iharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
blt50203
Rogue Bookseller
blt50203 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blt50203 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blt50203 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad, iPhone, B&N nook
Hmm. Great idea. On my old Sony it put them into collections based on tags. Maybe something similar could be done.
blt50203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
I would love for this feature to make it soon.
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
Ryan_Phx
Enthusiast
Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2, Nook, Kindle DXG
It's times like this that I realize just how much I value Kovid's work on Calibre. It's like, "I've got this great new feature on the Nook...and I don't even want to mess with it until I see how it'll work with Calibre!"

Kovid, you are appreciated!
Ryan_Phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Currently, my Nook is on loan to a friend so I cannot research this feature. But if someone with a nook can describe how it is implemented that may be sufficient to get started on it in calibre.

Look for some sort of file on the Nook (probably an XML, JSON or SQLITE file) using windows explorer that specifies the books in each shelf. Then try making changes to that file using a text editor and see if the changes show up when you disconnect the Nook.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well I got my nook back and there appears to be no way to read or write the shelves using a USB connection, so I'm afraid you're stuck doing it one-by-one on the Nook itself.

I wish B&N had decided to imitate SONY rather than Amazon.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
thekidsmom
Connoisseur
thekidsmom began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 3, nook, Nexus 7, iPad
appears to be no way to read or write the shelves using a USB connection, so I'm afraid you're stuck doing it one-by-one on the Nook itself.

Bummer! Thanks for checking this out for us....it would have been fantastic to avoid the one by one thing.
thekidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
hydin
Connoisseur
hydin doesn't litterhydin doesn't litter

Device: Paperwhite, Nook Glowlight 3
Thanks for checking on this for us

Looks like I am going to be selling or returning my nook now. I just enjoy the sony series setup entirely too much to give it up.

You rock man
hydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Thanks Kovid.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #10
Ryan_Phx
Enthusiast
Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2, Nook, Kindle DXG
Thanks for checking on this, Kovid. I guess I'm now waiting for the guys at NookDevs to update the softroot.

I wonder how the Nook does store that information?
Ryan_Phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are going to copy a feature of a competitor, pick the better implementation.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-24-2010 at 02:12 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #12
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydin View Post
Thanks for checking on this for us

Looks like I am going to be selling or returning my nook now. I just enjoy the sony series setup entirely too much to give it up.

You rock man
Go with the softroot, calibre, trook, and calibretoopds. You get navigation on the nook that's way better than anything Sony has yet provided. In fact, I switched from Sony to Nook just to get access to this combination -- my entire eLibrary, on my nook, with usable navigation (and series and book info, and coverflow, and...). You just don't get it through B&N's original software.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:14 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Go with the softroot, calibre, trook, and calibretoopds. You get navigation on the nook that's way better than anything Sony has yet provided. In fact, I switched from Sony to Nook just to get access to this combination -- my entire eLibrary, on my nook, with usable navigation (and series and book info, and coverflow, and...). You just don't get it through B&N's original software.
Have you tried the 650 yet? If you have not, I suggest you do so. It's a lot nicer then the 600 & 700 for navigation. And you do not have to hack it either.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #14
sdspieg
Connoisseur
sdspieg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle 3
Is this really the end of this story? Isn't the really any way to make these shelves visible in such a way that they can be used in Calibre (which I DO think is absolutely brilliant)? Because for those of us with large ebook collections, doing this manually really isn't an option. I don't know much about these things, but can somebody explain to me why it isn't possible to 'reverse engineer' things - if we know what things look like before we add shelves; and we know what they look like after we add them, can't the difference be exploited to find out how the firmware deals with this? Thanks,

-Stephan
sdspieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There is no difference. The changes happen in a part of the nook that is not exposed to the USB connection.

If you care about on device collections, I would suggest selling your Nook and getting a SONY.

EDIT: Of course I could be wrong and someone might discover a way to manipulate collections. If that happens, feel free to re-open the thread.