Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
rickhan
Enthusiast
rickhan began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Marking books as 'read'

My wife and I use a joint libray with Calibre.
We need to be able to mark and filter on books that we have read.
I was think that maybe a custom tag would work, but not sure how to create it.
I tried Manage User Categories, but never could get that to work.
Be really nice to add as columns, so I could see what I have and haven't read easily.
rickhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
How about creating two custom columns, one for you and one for your wife, to show what has been read or not read. Most people use "Read" for the column name and the yes/no format. I took a reverse approach and labeled my custom column as Unread and used the rating format; one star equals unread and no stars means its been read.I find it easier to see what's been read or not at a glance that way without having to do a column sort to separate the yesses from the noes (I had to look up the preferred plural form of no!).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I love custom column
Just go to preferences>interface and hit the plus sign beside select visible columns in library view
You could make two yes/no columns called RBH and RBW and these could stand for read by husband/wife or recommended by husband/wife.
Recommended could serve dual purposes as you would presumably read before recommending
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Having the same problem i've choosen to create a yes/no custom column as described before.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Just go to preferences>interface and hit the plus sign beside select visible columns in library view
In the later (perhaps latest) version of calibre, you can right-click on a column heading and select 'Add your own columns'. Kovid added this in passing one evening.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
In the later (perhaps latest) version of calibre, you can right-click on a column heading and select 'Add your own columns'. Kovid added this in passing one evening.
Cool!
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marking as read, tag