Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
apiontek
apiontek began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
calibre-server 3.2.1: cannot read anything in browser

I recently upgraded straight from 3.0, which was working fine (after figuring out the changes from 2.x to 3.0), to 3.2.1

I run calibre-server on a headless ubuntu server.

With 3.0, the in-browser reading was working fine.

With 3.2.1, when I click the "Read" buttons for any book, be it epub, azw3, pdf, etc, I get sent to the full-screen reading, but nothing loads. It's completely blank, with the yellowish background.

I have --log on for calibre-server, but I don't see any errors in the logs, just

Code:
calibre server listening on 0.0.0.0:23945
OPDS feeds advertised via BonJour at: 172.22.1.11 port: 23945
calibre server listening on 0.0.0.0:23945
OPDS feeds advertised via BonJour at: 172.22.1.11 port: 23945

over and over. I'm not sure how to get more troubleshooting info. What should I do?
apiontek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There weren't any changes to the reader in 3.2. Check in the browser console to see if there are any error messages printed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
apiontek

OK, I have more information now.

First, it works in Firefox, both Windows and Linux, but I notice that if I'm reading an eBook, I don't have an obvious way to get back to the books list. If I push the browser back-button, it takes me to a blank page, and I have to click Back again. Then if I click the "Read" button again, it takes me to a blank full screen. I have to Reload the whole browser tab to get the book to reload and display.

...but I realize the above is an unrelated bug, but I thought it worth mentioning. It's reproducable for me on Firefox, both Windows & Linux. I feel that once a book has loaded, there should be a way to go back to the book listing, and forward to read again, without blank pages or having to reload the browser.

Second, it still doesn't work in Chrome. Error I see in Console is:

"Blocked script execution in 'about:srcdoc' because the document's frame is sandboxed and the 'allow-scripts' permission is not set."

EDIT: to add, I get this error both in Windows and Linux (Ubuntu Gnome 17.04) on Chrome.

Last edited by apiontek; 06-30-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:18 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works fine for me in chrome you probably have some extension that is modifying chrome. And you can go back to the home page by simply displaying the reader controls.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
apiontek

Turns out it wasn't an extension issue. It wasn't even working in incognito mode. And after I disabled my extensions, I was getting the content server message "You must allow calibre to use IndexedDB storage in your browser" ...

Anyway, I checked my process list and had a couple of stalled chrome processes, so I decided to reboot.

I'm a little embarrassed - the old "reboot" solution. And without doing anything, it magically started working on Windows again too, so ...

All good now.

I also figured out that, although I don't see it mentioned in the manual, right-clicking in the browser window brings up the reader controls, so, thanks.
Advert