Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 11-11-2009, 04:53 AM   #511
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There is no such software for sale in the US, as it would break US law (DMCA).

The python scripts are the only way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhawk101 View Post
I have purchased about 20 books in secure epub format and I am frustrated with the thought that at some point in the future I may not be able to read them if I change readers. I love calibre, but it only converts unsecured ebooks.
Does anyone know if any of the commercial software programs convert these types of books by removing the code? I have googled and there is plenty of software for itunes but I am not seeing any for epub.
I am a basic computer user and tried to follow the instructions to convert using Python, but I must admit working with the code and getting it to work was beyond me.
Any help is appreciated.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #512
tagtog
tagtog began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by caterpillar View Post
Hi all! I'm new to this forum. I applied ineptpdf for my McGraw-Hill ebook and I got:

· ineptpdf v2 => said "successfully decrypted" but it contained only blank-pages
· ineptpdf v3 => said "error decrypting book session key"
· ineptpdf v4 => said "error decrypting book session key"

Any help would be appreciated!
I have the same problem, Plz help us.
tagtog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 03:37 AM   #513
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
In a brain spasm of unbelievable stupidity I purchased an Adept PDF last night, because I was thinking "Adobe Digital Editions" meant ePub as that was what I was going to run immediately afterwards to download the ePub. When I looked at the screen afterwards there was ePub sitting above it as the other format that I should have selected. Doh.

So now I need to trawl through this long thread to find a hint as to where the latest ineptpdf.py might be lurking (v.2 doesn't seem to work). Unless some kind individual can PM me the location?

I have successfully unlocked ePubs so that I can read them in Stanza on my iPhone, so I have the adeptkey.der file. Just need ineptpdf?

Many thanks
Christo the foolish
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #514
imeagor
imeagor began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by caterpillar View Post
Hi all! I'm new to this forum. I applied ineptpdf for my McGraw-Hill ebook and I got:

· ineptpdf v2 => said "successfully decrypted" but it contained only blank-pages
· ineptpdf v3 => said "error decrypting book session key"
· ineptpdf v4 => said "error decrypting book session key"

Any help would be appreciated!
where can I find ineptpdf v4, thanks
imeagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:25 AM   #515
Grauheim
Enthusiast
Grauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Opus; HTC TyTN II
Has anyone seen this error:
  • DRM'd PDF loads fine in ADE.
  • ineptpdf v3 runs without complaint
  • When opening the resulting PDF in Adobe Reader 9.1, I get the error "There was an error opening this document. There was a problem reading this document (131)".

There was a suggestion here to use nitroPDF to open it and resave, but nitroPDF fails to load the file.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
Grauheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 09:00 AM   #516
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
You don't necessarily get an error message when decrypting pdfs that then fail to open (at the time of using ineptpdf) - they just don't.

In Vista at least, when the pdf file is created, if you click on the icon for the file you get a preview of the front page/cover. If it has not decrypted it stays with the standard Adobe/PDF reading program icon instead and cannot do the preview. When you open you get the error, though the file size would indicate that something of note has been created.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #517
Grauheim
Enthusiast
Grauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Opus; HTC TyTN II
Thanks for replying suecsi. Yes, that is indeed true, I am getting the generic icon, not a preview.

Interestingly the resulting file is readable with foxit reader. But not with Acrobat, and not with Calibre.

But is there any solution?
Grauheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #518
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grauheim View Post
Thanks for replying suecsi. Yes, that is indeed true, I am getting the generic icon, not a preview.

Interestingly the resulting file is readable with foxit reader. But not with Acrobat, and not with Calibre.

But is there any solution?
Some people have reported you decrypt 2 or 3 times to succeed.
Try this and see what happens.
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #519
tootees
tootees began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 & PocketPC
Is there something besides Adobe Digital Editions I can use to download DRM'd PDF's from the public library? I was trying to re-install ADE after a major crash and restore and it is coming up with Can't Find Digital Editions Folder. I don't know where the folder could have gone; it was in there when the whole system got zapped! LOL! Apparently I've made a mistake in thinking that the program would re-install without any problems. Silly me. Not only this, but Adobe Reader 7.0 doesn't look the same either, doesn't have the same logo, and didn't open the PDF's either - when everything worked fine before. How could this be? If it's not obvious, I'm at my wit's end! HELP!!!
tootees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #520
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Did you make sure the previous edition of ADE was removed from your computer before you reinstalled? Once you reinstall, you will need to activate, with the same email and password you used before. I found I needed to go back to the library and redownload the books I had checked out.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #521
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
ADE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootees View Post
Is there something besides Adobe Digital Editions I can use to download DRM'd PDF's from the public library? I was trying to re-install ADE after a major crash and restore and it is coming up with Can't Find Digital Editions Folder. I don't know where the folder could have gone; it was in there when the whole system got zapped! LOL! Apparently I've made a mistake in thinking that the program would re-install without any problems. Silly me. Not only this, but Adobe Reader 7.0 doesn't look the same either, doesn't have the same logo, and didn't open the PDF's either - when everything worked fine before. How could this be? If it's not obvious, I'm at my wit's end! HELP!!!
Your Digital Editions folder should be in the path my documents/my digital editions. If it is not, recreate a new folder with that name under my documents and try again. When you download from the library, choose "open" not save. This should open the book in ADE - but you must be patient, it takes a few seconds for the loading process to work after ADE opens. You should see a little box in the middle of the ADE screen, and if you have a failure, it will show you where. A fix that works for me if that happens, is to close ADE and reopen it. You should get an alert that it has not completed prior tasks and ask if you want to continue then. When you click yes, everything seems to get fixed automatically.

cheers

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #522
tootees
tootees began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 & PocketPC
Thank you, thank you, Leep! ADE is back - and all by itself! Like magic. Now if only I could find the Reader I had. That hasn't shown up so I am without a PDF reader for now. Can I still download AR 7.0 or maybe 7.1.0 - or another pdf reader and not have it interfere with ADE?

Thanks again.
Cheers
tootees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #523
victor_2203
Connoisseur
victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hello and congratulations for this fantastic forum!!

It's incredible!! In 2009 and the Adobe's DRM protection seems to be unbreakable!! I can't believe it!! The method of Python 2.6 + Pycrypto + ineptkey v3.pyw... etc is effective in some cases. When the ebook have a DRM protection more sophisticated, this method is useless.
In the next link is the method very well explained, a complete illustrated tutorial and the needed files to download:

http://rapid.org/board/showthread.php?p=1035319

Is incredible that more sophisticated method is an screen capture with Copistar (the only software which is able to capture the screen in Adobe Digital Editions). Unfortunately this software hasn't a crack yet. With demo version the results of screen capture and the final PDF file generated are quite good.

Is there some way to circumvent the DRM protection of complex PDF files?

NOTE: I was making test with method Python 2.6 + Pycrypto + ineptkey v3.pyw... etc and I saw a curious thing.
In first place, if you open several times the .acsm file with ADE, the program generates several encrypted PDF files in the My Digital Editions folder. One encrypted PDF file for each time that the .acsm file has been opened. Note that all the encrypted PDF files generated by ADE are differents but all of them have the same name. Ok.

When you are in the step to decrypt the PDF file with the ineptpub v2.pyw script, if you don't close the window and then decrypt another encrypted PDF file but with another output name, the script generates a EPUB file for the second, third, fourth... What's the reason for this?!
However, if then you try to decrypt the EPUB file with this method for EPUB files, the ineptpub v2.pyw script can't open the file.
victor_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:21 AM   #524
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
What do you mean with more complex drm files? The script sometimes doesn#t work when you have some particular pdf 1.5 features included.

That's not the fault of the decryption routine but mostly the 'dump method' which has to be adjusted.

Before you ask, I shortly checked it out but I'm working on my thesis right now and haven't had the time to go deep into it.

Additionally there seem to be a fileopen drm plugin for the Adobe Reader which also hasn't been circumvented. Might be includable in the actual script.

We'll see ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #525
victor_2203
Connoisseur
victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Touch
Finally I have got the code to compile the ineptpdf v3 script file. If I use this sript for decrypt a PDF file with DRM protection I get an error during the process: "error decrypting book session key".
However if I use the ineptpdf v2 script I get a PDF file without DRM protection but with all pages blank. Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 can't open it, but if I use the Nitro PDF Pro 6 I can open the PDF file (with blank pages) and I can check that version is a PDF v1.4.

Is there any solution to solve the error message "error decrypting book session key"?
Where I can to get the file or code for ineptpdf v4?
victor_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote