Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-08-2021, 05:40 PM   #16
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
When browsing, the difference in CPU speed Boox vs Likebook is irrelevant - the drag on speed is the EInk screen, which is halfway compensated for by using A2 mode.
Even with the new 4 core CPUs used by Boyue, I don't notice any speed difference between Boox Note Air vs Likebook P78 in A2 mode use.

This is what matters.
Faster CPU means faster loading on websites, especially Javascript ones. More RAM means less tab reloading too. If you're doing a lot of heavy browsing specs make a difference.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:26 AM   #17
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Faster CPU means faster loading on websites, especially Javascript ones. More RAM means less tab reloading too. If you're doing a lot of heavy browsing specs make a difference.
The brake is the slow screen and slow connections combined with ad videos and similar shenanigans.

Again, I have Boox with Android 9 and 10 (different 8 core CPU)
and Likebook updated to Android 8.1 and original 8.1 (8 core vs 4 core CPU) and can't see any difference in browsing when I use A2 mode.

But I also read some of the downloaded in the meantime.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2021, 07:30 AM   #18
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Try loading a heavy site like reddit. The eInk screen isn't the limiting factor. And again, the extra 1GB RAM will mean you can have more tabs in memory and less reloading.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:29 AM   #19
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Try loading a heavy site like reddit. The eInk screen isn't the limiting factor. And again, the extra 1GB RAM will mean you can have more tabs in memory and less reloading.
Sorry, but I could hardly notice a difference between Likebook Alita (4 GB 8 Core, 1.5 GHz), Boox Note Air (3 GB, 8 Core, 1.8 GHz) and Likebook P78 (2 GB, 4 Core, 1.5 GHz) on Reddit, Facebook, or even VK (40 MBit connection).

Above a certain level, CPU and RAM sizes are obviously not responsible for big differences.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-09-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #20
Ereadlog
Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
ottischwenk (and others) - did you have stability issues with likebook or onyx ? especially with Likebook P10 and Boox Note Air ?

I'm having quite annoying time with my new Likebook P10 - basically experience some stability problem after each 3h of using it: either complete or temporary hanging; note I have disabled google frame; I don't even do any multi app usage (so RAM should not be problem, few times I checked it was always 1+GB free out of 2GB), basically just use EinkBro browser (1-3 tabs) or default book reader

Some of my problems with this device:
1. hanged 2x*permanently (I restarted after 30s+): 1st after 3h of using, while notetaking; the note was permanently lost ! I used default note taking app; 2nd after like 30m after switch on, just while switching light
2. hanged temporarily for like 10-20 seconds once, no reaction; a few times it hanged for 5-10s, even when reading epub with default app; once hang for like 30s, I could still lock and unlock*screen, but not change to different app. Then it throw message ,,boyou os is not responding,, and give option to close app (default epub reader app)
3. sometimes when note taking it lags 3 seconds before showing on screen what you just wrote
4. does not respect choice for wallpapers - regardless if u set to random from gallery or set specific, it will still push stupid likebook logo wallpaper very often ( 66% of the time when you just click lock button); changing option "using pushed..." doesn't fix this
5. options that do nothing, no idea how they work, even after reading manual "using pushed wallpaper"; generally very poor english
6. Floating ball doesn't work, the setting to enable it doesn't work (maybe cause i disable google framework, idk)
7. system apps like ebook reader,* or notepad are all called "Boyou OS" in the background management
8. physical middle back button is not very good- not responsive, often doesn't work
Ereadlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #21
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereadlog View Post
ottischwenk (and others) - did you have stability issues with likebook or onyx ? especially with Likebook P10 and Boox Note Air ?
I don't know the Likebook P10 and because of the hardware configuration I wouldn't buy it either.

I have no problems with Likebook Alita Note, Ares Note, P78, Mars, and P6 - all devices with SD expansion.

I also have no problems with Boox Note Air, Poke 3 and Poke 2.

I don't use EinkBro. I played around with it for a short time, but I don't like this application.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:59 PM   #22
Ereadlog
Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ereadlog could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

how do you compare screen whiteness with lights off between P78 (or P10) and note air ? I read somewhere that note air has worse whiteness, that feel less natural, because it has this wacom layer
Old 06-20-2021, 07:39 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Wacom can actually be a layer behind the screen, but I don't know how it's done on the Note Air.
Capacitive touch involves layers on the screen and is unnoticeably dimmer than the same kind of eink screen with IR touch, which doesn't reduce the brightness.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:43 PM   #24
Ereadlog

Quote:
Sorry, but I could hardly notice a difference between Likebook Alita (4 GB 8 Core, 1.5 GHz), Boox Note Air (3 GB, 8 Core, 1.8 GHz) and Likebook P78 (2 GB, 4 Core, 1.5 GHz) on Reddit, Facebook, or even VK (40 MBit connection).

Above a certain level, CPU and RAM sizes are obviously not responsible for big differences.
that is false information; I compared P10 vs note air in page loading and P10 was measurably 2-4x slower for heavy pages; so given P78 has a bit worse specs it must be even slower than P10
Old 08-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #25
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I compared P10 vs note air in page loading and P10 was measurably 2-4x slower for heavy pages; so given P78 has a bit worse specs it must be even slower than P10
The question arises: have you tried the built-in browser or the same one - e.g. Google Chrome?
Old 08-14-2021, 07:47 AM   #26
Ereadlog

Quote:
The question arises: have you tried the built-in browser or the same one - e.g. Google Chrome?
the same - EinkBro
Old 08-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #27
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
the same - EinkBro
I don't use it - with Chrome, for example, I hardly notice a difference between 3 GB Boox Note Air and 2 GB Likebook P78.
4 GB Likebook Alita is faster in my opinion.
WiFi = 2.4 GHz
Old 08-15-2021, 06:21 AM   #28
Ereadlog

Quote:
even VK (40 MBit connection).

that may be the reason, maybe in your case bottleneck is internet (40mbit) and it "evens" the hardware differences; I tested web browsing on 500MBit

I also made internet speed test using native speedtest app from store: note air got ~300mbit while P10 ~130; for reference my laptop was achieving close to 500mbit

Last edited by Ereadlog; 08-15-2021 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:33 AM   #29
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
that may be the reason, maybe in your case bottleneck is internet (40mbit) and it "evens" the hardware differences; I tested web browsing on 500MBit
At best, I have 500 MBit available under laboratory conditions - but as a normal user not in real life.
Quote:
I also made internet speed test using native speedtest app from store: note air got ~300mbit while P10 ~130; for reference my laptop was achieving close to 500mbit
No - the problem is the browser you are using, which is wasting the power of the CPU with the senseless conversion of scrolling pages to turning pages.
For browsing I use A2 - that doesn't change the page layout, but ditheres the images.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:58 AM   #30
Ereadlog

Quote:
No - the problem is the browser you are using, which is wasting the power of the CPU with the senseless conversion of scrolling pages to turning pages.
For browsing I use A2 - that doesn't change the page layout, but ditheres the images.
not to be rude, but you have no idea what you are talking about, this is completely false (and made up) and you clearly have never used EinkBro (I assume if u used it you wouldnt make stuff up like that)

regarding "the problem is" - if as problem you mean worse P10 results (what you are quoting) in speedtest - I clearly wrote I used native speedtest app , not browser for this test

Last edited by Ereadlog; 08-15-2021 at 09:02 AM.