Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-08-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Have a jailbroken PW4 and a Samsung S7+ tablet; looking for a middleground

Hi folks:

I have:
  • * Jailbroken PW 4 I like because of its size, running koreader and syncthing to keep my library of epubs up to date on it
  • Samsung S7+ 12.7" Android tablet nice for drawing on the screen taking notes and reading longer articles]
  • Samsung S21 Ultra smartphone

I primarily read epubs, though I do have a lot in my Audible library, but often listen mostly on my phone + bluetooth earbuds. I read pretty exclusively with koreader on all of the above devices.

What I'm missing right now is a way to read RSS entries for a few websites/blogs I follow and long articles easily on an e-ink type screen.

In addition, while I love the big size of the android tablet, it's harder on my eyes than the e-ink screen.

I think I'd keep the Paperwhite as the form factor is nice, for travel, and I like having the option of pulling from the Amazon book library if need be, as well as Audible integration.

So ideally, what I'm looking for would be:
  • bigger screen than the 6" kindle,
  • e-ink screen
  • writing not a huge priority as i've scratched that itch with samsung notes + the s7+ tablet, but would be a nice to have
  • koreader is a must so i could read on any device
  • syncthing would be a must too
  • i already use pocket so that integration would be nice too
  • ideally could pull rss entries from a few blogs and have it up to date daily or on demand
  • would be nice if i could use some sort of remote page turn hardware device. on my tablet i've rigged the spen to be a next page/previous page feature which is very fun/handy along with the tablet stand arm i read most of the time with
  • overdrive/libby checkout would be a nice feature
  • would love a better system than koreader has for exporting highlighted passages/notes

where does that leave me? the forma? something else?

Last edited by arooni; 09-08-2021 at 05:49 PM.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:57 PM   #2
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
For me you have at least that options:
1. Kobo Forma (8") or
2. KOBO Elipsa (10.3") or
3. Onyx Boox 7.8 or 10.3" with full android (v.10): Nova 3, Air
4. Likebook P78, P10. Also full android (v.8), cheaper than Onyx, but software is worse.

There are more options around...
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:41 AM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
4. Likebook P78, P10. Also full android (v.8), cheaper than Onyx, but software is worse.
Only the user software supplied by Boox can do more than the Likebook, but with an Android device you can choose the one you want.

The Android 8.1 of Likebook devices is much more usable than Boox Android 10.
- Complete access to the Android settings - missing from Boox
- inverse image display - Boox cannot.
- SD cards and better file system integration - missing with Boox (only FAT32).
Only split screen is not so easy with Likebook and rotation 90/270 ° is missing in the operating system.

These are the reasons why I prefer to use the Likebook devices.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
arooni
Addict

I'm thinking the boox nova air is my next device.

Physical buttons to change the page would be nice
Old 09-09-2021, 02:18 PM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
I'm thinking the boox nova air is my next device.

Physical buttons to change the page would be nice
That costs 60 € / USD - a BT remote control is less than 10 and you can use it completely separately from the device.
Nova Air looks great, but in my opinion it has serious flaws in handling: for example the buttons on the left side and no position sensor.
It bothers me that the bezel, pen and button area have different colors - this is an absolute no-go for me at this price.
But these are my opinions on this device.

Ich rate zum Likebook P10

Last edited by ottischwenk; 09-09-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:49 AM   #6
arooni
Addict

For the boox nova air ..

I treat my devices pretty well and am trying to figure out which credit card to use to purchase this.

I have a card that doubles the warranty to two years but only covers hardware issues not software. And I have another card that pays a bonus in Bitcoin (blockfi) but no warranty extension.

Do these get bricked often ? Motherboard failure ? I feel if it's well taken care of it will either break in the first year or it won't he likely to break for awhile.

Finally if I want a 7.8 inch device is this the best one out there currently? I'm not sure what else I'd want except hardware buttons on the device or an accelemerator to detect rotation.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:36 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
For the boox nova air ..

I treat my devices pretty well and am trying to figure out which credit card to use to purchase this.

I have a card that doubles the warranty to two years but only covers hardware issues not software. And I have another card that pays a bonus in Bitcoin (blockfi) but no warranty extension.

Do these get bricked often ? Motherboard failure ? I feel if it's well taken care of it will either break in the first year or it won't he likely to break for awhile.

Finally if I want a 7.8 inch device is this the best one out there currently? I'm not sure what else I'd want except hardware buttons on the device or an accelemerator to detect rotation.
Again - hardware buttons on the device cost a lot of money on the Nova Air (60 € / USD) - BT remote control is much cheaper.
Only the Note Air has a position sensor.
Due to the small battery of the Nova Air, I would choose the Nova 3 - it is also cheaper.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #8
arooni
Addict

next question:

Old 09-11-2021, 01:34 PM   #9
arooni
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Again - hardware buttons on the device cost a lot of money on the Nova Air (60 € / USD) - BT remote control is much cheaper.
Only the Note Air has a position sensor.
Due to the small battery of the Nova Air, I would choose the Nova 3 - it is also cheaper.

when I do a google shopping search

for the nova 3 ; it seems like its basically the same price?

wouldn't the 2000 mah battery still last weeks in between uses?
Old 09-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
when I do a google shopping search

for the nova 3 ; it seems like its basically the same price?

wouldn't the 2000 mah battery still last weeks in between uses?
Here you can see all Boox products:
Boox Nova 3 - USD 339.99, 3150 mAh
Boox Nova Air - USD 349.99 and cover with buttons USD 59.99, 2000 mAh
Old 09-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #11
arooni
Addict

Update. Got the boox nova air. Love it and it's the perfect device for me.